Bills already behind in the NFL’s newest trend....

Rebel101

The new trend in the NFL, and recipe for success. Is to stack your roster around a competent rookie QB. It allows you to spend money on key pieces and spread the wealth throughout the roster while your QB is in a rookie contract. It is clearly a new formula that has worked good for the teams who’s rookie QB has played well. We have wasted atleast a year or 2 of these prime years due to the fact that Allen is so raw. He won’t be ready to lead this team to a super bowl until his rookie contract is up and if he does become great his contract will then end up taking up the money needed to build such a stacked roster. Not saying we can’t end up building a young team through the draft but we lost the opportunity to follow the trend of a lot of successful teams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

The new trend in the NFL, and recipe for success. Is to stack your roster around a competent rookie QB. It allows you to spend money on key pieces and spread the wealth throughout the roster while your QB is in a rookie contract. It is clearly a new formula that has worked good for the teams who’s rookie QB has played well. We have wasted atleast a year or 2 of these prime years due to the fact that Allen is so raw. He won’t be ready to lead this team to a super bowl until his rookie contract is up and if he does become great his contract will then end up taking up the money needed to build such a stacked roster. Not saying we can’t end up building a young team through the draft but we lost the opportunity to follow the trend of a lot of successful teams.

The only rookie QB I can see playing somewhat well is Mayfield. And it ain’t like the Browns are tearing it up. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Don't ya think that's what they'll try to do next year?

The rest is pure speculation...

• Like (+1) 1

“Around a competent rookie QB”

Mayfield is the highest rated rookie and he’s still ranked 26th in the league. No one is a sure bet competent QB. 

You act like this is the easy part. 

You’re literally basing your “trend” off of Mahomes and Goff. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Mayfield is the highest rated rookie and he’s still ranked 26th in the league. No one is a sure bet competent QB. 

It has to start somewhere....

The way I see it is I'll be thrilled if Allen follows in Goff's footsteps.  You know, declared a "bust" his rookie season then surrounded with talent in his 2nd year and now in his 3rd year functioning as an elite level QB leading a 10 - 1 team.  Now that would be sweet and Allen would still be on his rookie contract.

Have I missed anything? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Yup. One didn't play as a rookie the other looked like a bust as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 2

The Kansas City roster was already stacked when they traded up for Mahomes. He stepped into a real perfect situation. I hope Andy Reid doesn't screw him up and we are seeing some kinks in the armor. But he is very good. 

The Rams got the right coach and did a good job adding pieces for Goff. Perfect scheme for him and an amazing running back as well. 

26 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Mahomes, who played one game his rookie year and Goff who everyone was convinced was a bust his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1

Well they purged the roster of players that didn't contribute that would have request top dollar to continue to not contribute so maybe they have a plan in the works...?

I'm just speculating.

Also I love that when trying to swipe "speculating" it first picked "supervillain"

50 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

It's been mostly positive for first round QB's these last few drafts.

It would be the Bills luck to finally take one in the bust year.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but it's entirely possible none of these QB's are legit and Pegula screwed the pooch with his GM/HC nonsense in 17.

• Like (+1) 1

You make a lot of assumptions about Allen's development.   You realize that your assumptions are your opinion and not fact, right?

If you look back to Jared Goff 's rookie year, many were declaring him a bust.  We see how that turned out.

I believe Allen will be the qb we need. The Bills are right on schedule for following the NFL trend of which you spoke.

But thank you for your attempt to ***** defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

And they didn't really stack their offense until after their rookie season.

51 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's been mostly positive for first round QB's these last few drafts.

It would be the Bills luck to finally take one in the bust year.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but it's entirely possible none of these QB's are legit and Pegula screwed the pooch with his GM/HC nonsense in 17.

So if he had selected a different coach/GM the results would have been different?  For the most part about 30% of QB's elevate to franchise level so if Allen flames out, the only thing you can say about McD and Beane is welcome to the club.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Thank you (+1) 1