When should the Bills look at drafting another QB?

When do we look at drafting another QB?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Above

• This year if we aren’t too confident in Allen
    • Next year potentially
    • Have to give Allen 3 years no matter what

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

build around Allen this off-season.  Bring in young, talented OL, WR, and RB help.   If Allen is not successful next year, draft another QB.   Then we will have the framework for a QB to be successful.    I'd also bring in a QB coach ASAP.   Look at Goff pre and post McVey. 

^this^ plus draft a qb rd 3-4 or address in FA. I would be fine with Allen, Barkley, and 1 QB not on the roster coming via FA or draft.

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Something like 20 TD's/10 picks 3500 yards is not too much to ask. It's not great, but it would be good enough that we'd have some confidence going forward.

Anything less than that and we've got to seriously think about his long term future.

As crazy as it sounds, that's top 10 QB play.

2015: Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, and Newton are the only 4 QBs to meet those criteria

2016: Brady, Prescott, Bradford, Carr, Rodgers, Ryan, and Stafford (7)

2017: Smith, Wentz, Goff, Keenum, Brady, Brees, Rivers, and Stafford (8)

2018 (pace): Brees, Ryan, Goff, Rivers, Newton, Rodgers, Wilson, Manning (7)

9 have done it in more than 1 year over the past 4 years (Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Brees, Rivers, Goff)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

2015: Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, and Newton are the only 4 QBs to meet those criteria

9 have done it in more than 1 year over the past 4 years (Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Brees, Rivers, Goff)

It's the 10 INT's that's an impossibility.  Folks love the TD:INT ratio because it's a clean stat. Most franchise QB's throw a lot of picks, because they are trusted to make plays.  Asking Allen to be surgical every season or even one season and drop an ungodly 2:1 or 3:1 ratio while carrying the offense is frankly impossible.  Especially with his game.  If he pans out, he'll be the QB that throws 3-4 50 yard bombs, and you hope 50% of them are completed and only 25% of them are picked.  

I see a 24 TD 17 INT-type season if he takes a step next year.  He'll never throw 5 or fewer interceptions in 13-16 games, ever IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Lots of season left to be played. If Allen plays the next 6 games and goes 2-4, throws 4 TD’s to 6 INT’s, and generally looks the same as he did last game, do you think about QB in rounds 1 or 2?

NO.

57 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I was just throwing out random stats that seemed reasonable.

Good info there.

How about 20 TD's/13 INT's or 25 TD's 16 INT's? He'll have more rushing yards than all but a few QB's, but I still want to see at least 200 yards a game passing. It's all just speculation at this point, but something CLOSE to these numbers would demonstrate competence.

38 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

It's the 10 INT's that's an impossibility.  Folks love the TD:INT ratio because it's a clean stat. Most franchise QB's throw a lot of picks, because they are trusted to make plays.  Asking Allen to be surgical every season or even one season and drop an ungodly 2:1 or 3:1 ratio while carrying the offense is frankly impossible.  Especially with his game.  If he pans out, he'll be the QB that throws 3-4 50 yard bombs, and you hope 50% of them are completed and only 25% of them are picked.  

I see a 24 TD 17 INT-type season if he takes a step next year.  He'll never throw 5 or fewer interceptions in 13-16 games, ever IMO.

I'd be fine with 24/17. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

Lots of season left to be played. If Allen plays the next 6 games and goes 2-4, throws 4 TD’s to 6 INT’s, and generally looks the same as he did last game, do you think about QB in rounds 1 or 2?

No, he has at least one more full year before it even crosses your mind. He was a raw prospect that needed time. He is getting through 2019 even if he plays worse than you suggest.

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I was just throwing out random stats that seemed reasonable.

Good info there.

How about 20 TD's/13 INT's or 25 TD's 16 INT's? He'll have more rushing yards than all but a few QB's, but I still want to see at least 200 yards a game passing. It's all just speculation at this point, but something CLOSE to these numbers would demonstrate competence.

It would appear that the average QB over the past 4 years has a season of 3,810 Yards, 24 TDs, and 13 INTs.

• Like (+1) 1

A better title for this thread should be "If the Bills look at drafting another QB, how will they ever have time to develop either?

With todays CBA that limits practice and off-season time, there's hardly anytime available for the #1 QB to get enough snaps, now you bring in a second person to share the time.  You'll quickly have no idea if either are any good.  I read a couple seasons back that the backup QB typically gets about a half dozen snaps each week with the 1st unit.  I think everyone seems to feel the Bills should have a vet backup, so that means the new guy is QB #3 which puts him with the scout team and getting no reps with the starters.

Someone posted to the thread, "Look at NE they draft a QB every season. Well that's easy to do when you have an established starter, you don't need to worry about giving him time, in fact probably even better to save wear and tear on a guy like Brady.  They also aren't using high draft picks on them either.  Where as if you feel you're looking at an upgrade over Allen, as many would argue, it probably will also need to be a 1st round pick.  So now you'll have two 1st round picks that neither get enough time in practice to develop.

If there's no improvement at all by the end of the2nd season what typically happens is you try and go with a different OC that will use a scheme better suited to the QB's strengths and blame the problems on that.  If after another season still no improvement, then may be time to look for a replacement which in Allen's case would be after season #3, but even then Allen would still have one more season under contract.

So his record would be 4-7 throw 6TDs and 11int with around 2000 yards and run for about 300 yards and 5 TDs in 12 games.

I'll take it for a true rookie.

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

build around Allen this off-season.  Bring in young, talented OL, WR, and RB help.   If Allen is not successful next year, draft another QB.   Then we will have the framework for a QB to be successful.    I'd also bring in a QB coach ASAP.   Look at Goff pre and post McVey. 

As much as @BringBackFergy and I would love to bring him back as a QB (the dude threw some wicked spirals in his short tenure here), Jordan Palmer, the more talented brother of Carson Palmer, worked with Allen in the offseason and would be a great fit. 

We should draft a new QB every year and if hey don't look good in the week 3 exhibition game declare them a bust and sign a guy who hasn't played in the NFL for at least 3 months. 

If that guy has a good game in his first outing then the Bills should ignore his history and declare him the franchise QB. 

When he inevitably fails by seasons end, we start the whole process all over again! 

• Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

We should draft a new QB every year and if hey don't look good in the week 3 exhibition game declare them a bust and sign a guy who hasn't played in the NFL for at least 3 months. 

If that guy has a good game in his first outing then the Bills should ignore his history and declare him the franchise QB. 

When he inevitably fails by seasons end, we start the whole process all over again! 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5bf4ba8a49564e7245