Your Concert Experiences

1) Alfred Brendel series at Roy Thompson Hall in the mid 90s, saw him play 26 of the 32 Beethoven piano sonatas.

2) Both Joe Cocker and Sly Stone vomited and left the stage about 2 minutes into each of their performances around 1974

3) I like to be surprised by what is in town when i have the energy to go out and see a concert

4) The Who or Led Zeppelin, original casts

Edited by row_33
  • Sad 1

1) Best Concert You've Ever Seen

Brandi Carlile w/ Margo Price @ Asbury Hall 2016- She sang Amazing Grace acapella with all the hall lights off.  The entire crowd joined in and about 300 people sang together in the dark.  Perfect night.

2) Worst Concert You've Ever Seen

Linkin Park @ Darien Lake.   They should have never been the headliner with Korn on the bill.  Sounded really bad.

3) Bucket List Concert

Right now it's Jason Isbell.

4) Concert you wish you could see, but can't due to death/bandbreakup etc.

Nirvana

• Like (+1) 1

1) Believe it or not, Weird Al Yankovic. Dude puts on one hell of a show, with costume changes, and videos, and crowd interaction. Of course playing everything from rock, rap, pop, country, and even a polka song or two. 

2) The Charlie Daniels Band. I love the CDB, but I was pretty disappointed. Half the concert were "solo" songs from the band members with Charlie not even on the stage, and a five minute drum solo. Also, played a lot of newer stuff.

EDIT: Scratch that. My fiance's cousin got two free tickets to Panic! At The Disco/Weezer. Panic was unbearable. Not my music, and you couldn't hear anything over the screaming teenage girls. Lead singer made a bunch of pandering political/social comments, and dropped a lot of F-bombs. I'm not offended by the F bombs, but it had they "Hey kids, look how cool I am because I can say this word into a microphone." vibe. Thankfully, most of the little kids left after them, and Weezer put on a really good show.  

3) The Rolling Stones

4) If I had to name one, it would probably be Queen obviously with Freddie. Adam Lambert isn't bad. Dude's got some chops for sure, and I'd like to see them someday. But the stage presence that Freddie had, and the way he could just put on a show was amazing. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Four Questions.

Roger Waters in Louisville, 2016. Played all of Animals, most of Dark Side/Wish You Were Here/Echoes. Amazing musicians and stage/arena rigging. They sounded exactly like the albums.

Fleet Foxes, earlier this year. Not a band that should be in an indoor venue with bad sound; probably should stay in the studio, honestly. And the crowd just sat there and was quiet the entire time. I love FF on albums but it was highly disappointing live.

3) Bucket List Concert    

My Morning Jacket @ Red Rocks

Probably The Who, playing all of Quadrophenia straight through.

1) Guns N Roses/Metallica/Faith No More Stadium Tour - Rich Stadium July 25, 1992.  Faith No More opened and was awesome, then Metallica came out and rocked the whole house for like 2 hours.  Axl was at his bitchy best and delayed GnR coming onstage for like 2 hours.  The camerman proceeded to focus on every good looking girl and put them up on the jumbotron where 80,000 people chanted "show your t*ts!" About 90% of them did.  Then GnR  came out and performed a terrific set. Here;s the wiki about that tour with setlists from the Rich Stadium show. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N'_Roses/Metallica_Stadium_Tour

2) Zac Brown Band - Citi Field July 28, 2018. It was 100 degrees, on a summer Saturday and people were hammered from over imbibing all day long, suffering heatstroke and extremely belligerent  in the GA area.  Unlike the Zac Brown show there in 2016, they had no pit area so it was a general free-for-all.  Zac Brown stopped his set 4xs bc of fights breaking out.  Not fun at all.

3) Burning Man - Someday it will happen.

4) The Doors, Live in New York - January 17 and 18, 1970 - Felt Forum NYC.  Fortunately there is a box set of this, but I wasnt alive at the time and Jim obviously didnt live much longer.  But for the guys who were there it was absolutely amazing they say.

15 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Roger Waters in Louisville, 2016. Played all of Animals, most of Dark Side/Wish You Were Here/Echoes. Amazing musicians and stage/arena rigging. They sounded exactly like the albums.

Probably 2017 ?  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roger-waters/2017/kfc-yum-center-louisville-ky-53e73751.html

No Echoes though - that caught my eye because I don't think he's ever played this song since departing the Floyd  (someone please prove me wrong, if it happened I'd be interested to know who sang the vocals) 

Best Concert

- Large Venue - The Who, Rich Stadium 1982. The sound was great and it was the concert where it started raining during Love Reign O'er Me.

-Small Venue - George Thorogood, a small bar in Albany in the '80s. Not for everyone, but the energy was incredible.

-Mid Venue - BB King, early 2000's. Seats about 10 rows from the stage. No dancing, no lasers, no smoke, no stage show. It was all about the music. And if you're a fan of the blues....it was perfect. Like he was playing in your living room.  *side note, I missed an opportunity to meet him. I had a client at the time who was sound manager at the PAC. Between acts, we were walking around and I saw him on stage. I was going to say hi, but he looked busy. A few weeks later, I mentioned that I saw him setting up. He said, "I wish you would have said something to me, I could have gotten you backstage to meet him afterward".  Sigh.  He said that for every person brought to meet him, he treated like gold.

Worst

There's a few, but no need to dwell.

Concert Missed

Ralph Macchio going toe to toe with Steve Vai in a contest over the Karate Kid's soul.

Bucket List

It'll happen when I die (which kind of takes it out of the category).  Heaven I'm sure will have a hell of a band.

Best concert is hard - I saw a lot of Gov't Mule shows in clubs back in the mid to late 90's that were musically as good as anything I've ever seen in Arenas or Stadiums.  A David Gilmour show at the Paramount in Oakland in 2006 is near the top of the list - with Rick Wright in the band it was basically a mini Pink Floyd show in a 3000 seat venue.  I could not stop smiling for hours after the show.  

Worst concert is easy - Van Halen in Denver in 2012.  Diamond Dave forgot most of the lyrics and laughed about it through the whole show when he wasn't berating the venue staff.  I'm convinced the sound guy just said fuggit and spun all the dials to max because it was painfully loud and not in a good way

Bucket list - I can honestly say I've seen everyone I have wanted to see and had the opportunity to see.  I guess I'd like to see Macca just to say I've seen a Beatle. 

Concert wish - Definitely Pink Floyd, probably with Syd Barrett but I'd definitely settle for Rog Dave Nick and Rick.  

Poojer: I live 15 mins from Red Rocks, let me know if you ever need a place to crash before or after a RR show

CookieG: you reminded me of a BB King show at Impaxx night club in West Seneca in 1994 - what an amazing experience it was to see the King of the Blues in such a small venue 

Edited by coloradobillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

Best concert:  Ray Charles at the Blue Note Cafe

Worst concert: too many to pick just one...Styx?

Bucket list:  gotta be the Beatles, as predictable as that is.

Wish I could have seen:  the Rolling Stones during the Mick Taylor era.

1) Best Concert You've Ever Seen

1982 - The Kinks with opening act John Cougar (Mellencamp)

Rod Stewart, but partially because my wife insisted on meeting her friends at a bar beforehand, so we missed the opening act who I really wanted to see; Santana.

3) Bucket List Concert

Paul McCartney

4) Concert you wish you could see

I’d say The Beatles, but their later years, and the rooftop concert was too short. Elvis Aloha from Hawaii, but I can watch the video. So I guess The Doors with a cognant Jim Morrison. Or the Monterey Pop Festival.

57 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Probably 2017 ?  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roger-waters/2017/kfc-yum-center-louisville-ky-53e73751.html

No Echoes though - that caught my eye because I don't think he's ever played this song since departing the Floyd  (someone please prove me wrong, if it happened I'd be interested to know who sang the vocals) 

You are correct good sir. It was May 2017. No Echoes indeed........I'm not sure half the crowd would have enjoyed that. Lots of people just there to hear songs from The Wall (thankfully he didn't play a ton of those; not a huge fan of that album.)

And where's MY invite to crash at your place?!?!?!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

1) Best Concert You've Ever Seen

1982 - The Kinks with opening act John Cougar (Mellencamp)

Rod Stewart, but partially because my wife insisted on meeting her friends at a bar beforehand, so we missed the opening act who I really wanted to see; Santana.

3) Bucket List Concert

Paul McCartney

4) Concert you wish you could see

I’d say The Beatles, but their later years, and the rooftop concert was too short. Elvis Aloha from Hawaii, but I can watch the video. So I guess The Doors with a cognant Jim Morrison. Or the Monterey Pop Festival.

Are there any shows like this? I don't think I've seen any footage of Jim Morrison in concert where I thought he wasn't high and/or drunk on something.

Four Questions.

Pearl Jam - 10/30/2009 in The Spectrum in Philly

Motley Crue and Kiss - 9/15/2012 Darien Lake (just embarrassing tbh.  Gene Simmons said "how ya doin Darien Lake!!!!" and everyone just kind of looked at each other)

3) Bucket List Concert

Rage Against the Machine if they do another 1-off.  If not, then probably Green Day would be one I mean to hit next time

Layne Staley / Alice In Chains / Mad Season

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Four Questions.

Motley Crue and Kiss - 9/15/2012 Darien Lake (just embarrassing tbh.  Gene Simmons said "how ya doin Darien Lake!!!!" and everyone just kind of looked at each other)

When I saw "Lynyrd Skynyrd" (in quotes because they've essentially been a tribute band for years) there, they kept talking about how great it was to be in New York. You could tell that they were just phoning the whole show in. 

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Four Questions.

If not, then probably Green Day would be one I mean to hit next time

My fiance is a huge Green Day fan. I've never really gotten into them, but bought her tickets for Christmas a few years ago. They put on one hell of a show. Definitely check them out.

3 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

When I saw "Lynyrd Skynyrd" (in quotes because they've essentially been a tribute band for years) there, they kept talking about how great it was to be in New York. You could tell that they were just phoning the whole show in. 

My fiance is a huge Green Day fan. I've never really gotten into them, but bought her tickets for Christmas a few years ago. They put on one hell of a show. Definitely check them out.

Yeah.  The Motley Crue/Kiss show was 100% pre-choreographed, and frankly boring.  Watching Vince Neal talk about "girls" to get a cheap pop from the crowd was the zenith in cheesy things I have witnessed.... until Gene Simmons' "blood" coming out of his mouth to the absolute delight of a few fans during a "solo".

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Four Questions.

3) Bucket List Concert

1) A week before Kill 'Em All was released I saw Metallica open for another band at a local bar/club. They played the new album from beginning to end and it was jaw dropping.

2) Tough one, I can't remember going to see a band I didn't like against my will. Zappa walked off stage after less than an hour because he was sick. Either that or any elementary school orchestra concert. That was always pretty rough on the ears. What's cool is seeing them progress in middle and high school.

3) Can't think of any. 

4) Too many to mention but top of the list would have to be Led Zeppelin.

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Yeah.  The Motley Crue/Kiss show was 100% pre-choreographed, and frankly boring.  Watching Vince Neal talk about "girls" to get a cheap pop from the crowd was the zenith in cheesy things I have witnessed.... until Gene Simmons' "blood" coming out of his mouth to the absolute delight of a few fans during a "solo".

I saw a Journey tribute band (opening for an Eagles tribute) once. Every other song was something along the lines of "Hey, does this song bring back memories? The young folks won't remember what real music is like. We used to have these things called records." So hacky.