Marcell Dareus Returns this Week - Inactive with a Back Injury

26CornerBlitz

On 11/20/2018 at 12:16 PM, Utah John said:

It's now up to the Jags to figure out if he's worth that much going forward.  He was effectively getting $99M for having one monster season.  Just not worth the money here.  Not the biggest bust in Bills history but he's on the short list.

i would suggest that he got $99m because he has incredible physical gifts which give him the ability to absolutely take over a game if he is motivated to work at it. but without the putting in the effort, he is just a very large man with a crap ton of unrealized potential. he has had a lot of things happen in his life, and i was hoping that he would find an outlet for these emotions in football and find a bit of comfort with his teammates. but such was not the case. still wish this guy well. but i hope he craps the bed this sunday.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Marcell Dareus Returns this Week - Questionable for Sunday
On 11/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, Gugny said:

I know I'm in the minority, here, but I believe that Dareus earned every penny he made whilst in Buffalo.

He did, indeed, earn every penny. Unfortunately, he didn't earn every dollar.

His first couple of years, yes, even considering the suspensions. But once he got the extension, his effort dropped faster than a Bills quarterback behind a porous o-line.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:46 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

I hope Jacksonville enjoyed their run to the AFC Championship game.  That’s about as far as they’ll go

You downplay what the Jags accomplished but Bills fans are so downtrodden we might throw a parade in downtown if the Bills lost a conference championship game.?

I mean that in all seriousness.

The current 24 year run since the team was in a championship game is the longest in franchise history.    And at 3-7 the 25th year since a title game visit is a virtual certainty.

Jags are a poorly run franchise but even they have been to 4 AFC championship games since the Bills last one...........it's by no means a once-in-a-quarter-century event for them.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You downplay what the Jags accomplished but Bills fans are so downtrodden we might throw a parade in downtown if the Bills lost a conference championship game.?

I mean that in all seriousness.

The current 24 year run since the team was in a championship game is the longest in franchise history.    And at 3-7 the 25th year since a title game visit is a virtual certainty.

Jags are a poorly run franchise but even they have been to 4 AFC championship games since the Bills last one...........it's by no means a once-in-a-quarter-century event for them.

Not what I’m talking about.  I’m saying that after this year there are a lot of players that Jacksonville will need to part with part with to get under the cap.  I don’t see this team making it back to the AFC Championship game again until they revamp the roster - maybe even get a new coach or GM.  

Also didnt the much maligned Bills team of last year come pretty close to beating this “accomplished” team in the playoffs?

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Marcell Dareus Returns this Week - Out on Sunday per Schefter
On 11/21/2018 at 1:34 AM, uticaclub said:

Trading Dareus for a 5th for the biggest mistake this regime has made. For his dead cap & Stars contract, we should have just kept the more talent Dareus

Not at all. It only made sense.

He's got a $16 mill a year contract to play only against the run. He's wildly underperforming, as he has since pretty much the instant he signed that huge second contract.

Letting him go cost us $13 mill in dead cap. But keeping him would've cost us around $49 mill over the rest of his contract, (not including the salary money we saved by shipping half his 2017 salary over to Jax) and he is greatly underperforming that contract. Yeah, he's costing us a ton of dead cap, but we're saving a lot more over the next few years by not keeping him. And this rebuild has as one of its many causes that they promised the Pegulas that they'd clean up the cap by the end of this year. And one way to do that is by eating dead cap this year in exchange for cap room down the road.

And the pick we got for Marcell turned out to be Wyatt Teller who so far looks very promising indeed.

Plus he may have been more talented back in the day. But not any more. The Jags are playing him only on run plays. It is pretty questionable whether he's any better than Lotulelei. He was back when he was averaging seven or eight sacks a season. Not so much so now he's averaging less than two a season.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/21/2018 at 12:38 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The quality of life after 2017 trade deadline was a sh*tstorm of epic defensive incompetence and it took incredible good fortune to back into a beatdown in the playoffs at the hands of Dareus' Jags.

And when you factor in the dead money from McBeane murdering Dareus' contract...........the Bills are now paying about $14M per year to fill that position with the utterly one dimensional Star Lotulelei over the next 5 seasons.

Yeah, they traded away the now one-dimensional Dareus and filled it with the one-dimensional Lotulelei. Who gets to meetings and buses on time and avoids legal problems, drug suspensions and the like, unlike Dareus. Whatever else you might think of McDermott he's earned the right to say he knows how to put a defense together and if he wants Lotulelei, he probably has a reason.

And that's some pretty nice spin there about defensive incompetence after the trade. Doesn't hold up to examination at all. The defence was pretty awful for three games in a row there and then played well for the rest of the season. In their last six games plus the playoff game so seven games total, they allowed more than sixteen points only twice, both times to the Patriots.

And total over five seasons isn't the way to look at charges. It's not how they're looking at it at OBD. They are getting their cap house in order. To do that they used a strategy which works together with the rebuild. They were willing to use dead cap money to move money that would have strangled us in the future forward into this year's dead cap category. Yeah, that hurt us this year, but opened up a ton of space and possibility in the future, precisely what's called for in both a rebuild and in a cap cleanup.

Couldn't agree more that they got lucky to get in the playoffs. I wish they'd lost a few more games last year. I was hoping they would completely rebuild, dumping guys like Tyrod and McCoy and a few others without whom we would have won several games less. Instead, IMHO they valued winning too much, which meant they had to give too much draft capital away - two seconds, the #23 pick and Corey Glenn besides, to trade up for Allen. If we'd been picking higher we could have gotten him at the same spot much cheaper, or maybe they could have traded up to the #3 spot and pre-empted the Jets, giving them a wider choice of QB.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

On 11/20/2018 at 12:00 PM, Believer said:

Dareus is lazy... Not committed to excellence and developing his awesome talent... He had the benefit of an example and potential mentor in Bruce Smith, but he failed to mature... Bills made the right call... The Bills are building a roster of committed professionals... 

Like KB.....lol

On 11/22/2018 at 12:57 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

You REALLY aren't sure what my reference to the Bills not making the AFC championship game since 1993 has to do with Dareus?

Ok let me help you out..........the Jaguars made it to the AFC championship game last season (and had the Pats on the ropes late in the game).

When he joined the Jags last year their run defense was atrocious and instantly became excellent..........he was really good.........he had actually been playing very well for the Bills too.........and he was excellent in the playoffs as well......huge sack/forced fumble on Big Ben late in the game.

I'm guessing this is just you really not following the rest of the NFL all that closely but being unable to curb your instinct to respond.

Like when you mocked the idea that Jason Peters was going to be a HOF'er..........then fled the scene when you realized that basically everyone KNOWS he will be.

Jags: 4-3 prior to Dareus in 2017

Jags: 11-10 with Dareus in 2017 and 2018

2018 Jags 15th ranked rushing defense

2018 Bills 9th ranked rushing defense

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:14 AM, ColoradoBills said:

JAX is in big cap trouble next year and Dareus is the man that they will trade.

I'm calling it now.

Since we are all the dead money he’s a great candidate 

He will have played for them under a 1 year 9m contract and have little consequence to cut if they do. Not bad for a 5th

On 11/21/2018 at 2:46 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Does he even play?? Never hear his name called and don't see him much on the field.

hated getting a fith but not sad to see him go. Lazy don't last around here.

Except KB