Connor Orr: How Will Rams-Chiefs Impact the Future of the NFL?

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

KC is proving that's not the case.

Anyway, all this pearl clutching over this game already? 

It is a fear that this is what the Goodell and the owners have been clamoring for and now that they've seen it, the train will keep chugging along.

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There were three defensive TDs last night or did you miss that? ;)

44-40 is still too high. The ideal score in baseball, in my opinion, is 4-3. Same with hockey. 4-3 in football is effectively 28-21. I actually prefer 3.5 to 3 in football (24-21).  Last night was 7-6 minus the defensive scores and roughly 8-7.5 if you factor them in. That's too many goals for my liking. 

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

44-40 is still too high. The ideal score in baseball, in my opinion, is 4-3. Same with hockey. 4-3 in football is effectively 28-21. I actually prefer 3.5 to 3 in football (24-21).  Last night was 7-6 minus the defensive scores and roughly 8-7.5 if you factor them in. That's too many goals for my liking. 

the only thing worse in baseball than a team staking an early 6-0 lead is them coughing it up and its goes 5 hours

Seriously I cannot believe how many people on here are terrified about offensive football.  There were a couple of unusual characteristics of last nights game that people should maybe consider before they get their panties in a bunch. #1 those were two great young QBs skillfully operating 2 high powered stacked offenses (definitely not the norm in the NFL). #2 Those were 2 highly regarded coaches in an awesome contest there (Once again not the norm in this league of blockhead coaches). #3 The defenses didn't just lay down in that game, they actually DID make huge plays for both teams (sacks, forced fumbles, athletic INTs  which translated into defensive TDs).  This game was so great because it was so unusual. Trying to argue that every NFL coach and GM is going to emulate this game plan going forward is ludicrous. As if they could! Good luck with that! In addition what do some people want exactly on here? a 1940's muddy ground and pound game that ends 6-3? A repeat of the Bills Colts snow slugfest from last year? Is that  "real" enough football?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Defense also set up two other TDs with very short fields.  Defense impacted that game heavily regardless of the high score.  Mahomes had 3 INT (2 on great plays) and 2 fumbles forced by Donald. This cannot be ignored.

To me it was a fun game to watch because it doesn't happen very often.  If that becomes the norm, it'll lose its luster.   

Let's see if one of these teams actually wins the Super Bowl before we talk about how they changed the future of the game.  There have been a lot of great offenses over the years that put up great numbers but didn't win the ultimate prize.  Typically offense wins awards, defense wins championships.

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

#3 The defenses didn't just lay down in that game, they actually DID make huge plays for both teams (sacks, forced fumbles, athletic INTs  which translated into defensive TDs).

What is the ultimate goal of defense in ANY sport? Keeping the other guy from scoring.

They failed UTTERLY in that regard.

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Last night might have been the greatest offensive performances I've ever seen.

last year's Super Bowl amassed 1151 yards on O and only one single defensive play of valour the whole time

so last night is a pale second place

amazing how people forget the Eagles/Pats Super Bowl already

did you watch it?

Just now, row_33 said:

last year's Super Bowl amassed 1151 yards on O and only one single defensive play of valour the whole time

so last night is a pale second place

amazing how people forget the Eagles/Pats Super Bowl already

did you watch it?

Mpg course I watched it and good call on your end.  

Last night was insane though.  6 turnovers total and both still scored 50?  

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Defense also set up two other TDs with very short fields.  Defense impacted that game heavily regardless of the high score.  Mahomes had 3 INT (2 on great plays) and 2 fumbles forced by Donald. This cannot be ignored.

Regardless of the source,  goals and half-goals (FGs) shouldn't be cheap. It's why I find basketball mostly boring as a spectator sport. Both winners and losers routinely score 45-55 goals every game.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Interesting factoid.. at this pace this years Chiefs, Rams and Saints will all finish top 5 all time in season point total 

saints on pace for 604.8

KC on pace for 587.2

rams on pace for 566.4

Current top 3: 

‘13 broncos 606

‘07 Pats 589 

‘11 packers 560

for perspective, most prolific Bills season in 1991 was 458. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Regardless of the source,  goals and half-goals (FGs) shouldn't be cheap. It's why I find basketball mostly boring as a spectator sport. Both winners and losers routinely score 45-55 goals every game.

I thought it was great. Like I posted before there was a bit of everything in that game including impact plays by both defenses.   To each his own I guess with some being football traditionalists.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I thought it was great. Like I posted before there was a bit of everything in that game including impact plays by both defenses.   To each his own I guess with some being football traditionalists.

I thought it was a good game; I just don't want it to become a norm. It's not about being a football traditionalist; it's my opposition to scores (in any sport) coming too cheaply.

Edited by dave mcbride

That game was absolutely incredible. Everything you want out of a football game. Defensive plays, offense went nuts, the playmakers on both sides of the ball showed how truly great they are. You want to know why people here aren't a fan of offenses and this game I can sum it up with one article. Bills haven't had an offense in 18 plus years. Allen has no accuracy and a cannon for an arm. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/20/rams-chiefs-produced-more-touchdowns-than-the-bills-have-all-season/

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought it was a good game; I just don't want it to become a norm. It's not about being a football traditionalist; it's my opposition to scores (in any sport) coming too cheaply.

Well designed and executed plays by high end talent are almost impossible to slow down. It's the era we're in now until defenses adjust as they inevitably will. 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

let's all hope he's wrong.

Because that's the kind of product I want no part of. It's OK to score. It's NOT ok to allow the other guy to score like that.

Absolutely.

I don't want the NFL to turn into the Big 12.

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

Let's just say it: If the Bills were 54-51 winners last night, most of you haters would be LOVING this

No. The only game with a 51 in it would be the 51-3 win over the Raiders in the 1991 AFC Championship game. That was a *game*, last night’s was not.