Has anyone here ever met Doug Marrone?

Another Fan

8 hours ago, TuelTime said:

I doubt Coughlin will hold Marrone responsible for Bortles shortcomings. He was a mediocre QB known for choking long before Marrone got there.

Ya but knowing his shortcomings they chose to keep him yet again for this season. There were plenty of free agent and draft options this past offseason

8 hours ago, TuelTime said:

Wrong. He made a wise career decision and decided to exercise the clause in his contract. This is similar to Le'Veon Bell not signing his franchise tag. He made the right decision, obviously. He has a head coaching job after all these years. If he had stayed in Buffalo, EJ would've ruined his career and he knew it.

St DOUG!!!  you lurker.  You just gave yourself away 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

No it doesn’t. It implies he left before he should have. His contract was not up.

He didn’t just up and decide to quit, there was a lot going on that he did not like. He had an out and took it. If he was treated right things could have been different. 

To verbally abuse the man because he made a good business decision seems crazy. Yes, it was selfish but look at what he has done in Jax. Turned that franchise around. While we continue to spin our wheels. 

We have the same record right now and the same number of playoff appearances since he took over in Jax 

9 hours ago, TuelTime said:

I doubt Coughlin will hold Marrone responsible for Bortles shortcomings. He was a mediocre QB known for choking long before Marrone got there.

They gave him a 3 year contract extension this offseason....

• Thank you (+1) 1

No it doesn’t. It implies he left before he should have. His contract was not up.

He didn’t just up and decide to quit, there was a lot going on that he did not like. He had an out and took it. If he was treated right things could have been different. 

To verbally abuse the man because he made a good business decision seems crazy. Yes, it was selfish but look at what he has done in Jax. Turned that franchise around. While we continue to spin our wheels. 

Um no...Coughlin turned that franchise around and there were good players on Jags Defense BEFORE he got there. It was never about is he a good enough coach for the NFL, I think he is....but he's not innovative and he's a quitter. Couch it however you'd like....I could argue, that with new ownership, I would WANT to stick around seeing as how I've invested two years of my life and started putting pieces in place and hope that with new ownership, I'd also be able to move the needle. Additionally, while Whaley made some egregious errors in judgment and was not a good front person for the organization due to his inability to communicate with the media, he also made some decent decisions, i.e. Jerry Hughes. His fatal flaw was going all in on EJ rather than pulling that plug. All that said, Marrone quit rather than continuing to build on something he started. To me, as a HC, that's all I need to know. Hard to get the buy-in from the team when they see quit in your eyes. 

I may be wrong, and time will tell, but to me that's one reason why this team continues to play hard for McD and his staff. They see his dogged determination to turn this around and they believe in him as a person and coach. Leadership is entirely about the person, and so far, McD has shown he can lead. Offense needs to get better, and with the 2019 Off-season I think it will, but he gets the most out of his players and that says A LOT in the current Bills climate. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Another Fan said:

He comes back to town during this week for Sunday's game.  I'm assuming like a lot of people here the image I have of him is hard-headed, arrogant, and not easy to work or get along with.  Still it's not like I know the guy or have ever met him.  Maybe someone here met him once and has a nice story.  Maybe...

A buddy of mine was a manager for Syracuse football. Every negative perception you can imagine about Marrone is true. 

I also have it on good authority that “Coffee with the Coach” with Marrone was referred to internally within the Bills organization as “Coffee with the Crotch.”

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Really, how many wins do they have?

Marrone is not a good coach. The Bills won in spite of him coming in and destroying the offensive line and having a terrible offense. They won because of their defense.

Sound familiar? He's doing the same thing in Jacksonville. He is an offensive coach and always has bad offenses.

I was not mad he took his out clause in Buffalo. I was fine with it.

He wasn't an offensive coach. He was the head coach here, and the head coach gets credit for the whole team.

I didn't like him quitting but I understood it. He was having a power struggle with Whaley and he was losing. Looking back, it should've been Marrone who won.

I don't think he's a terrific coach. Too conservative for me, but he's the best they'd had since Wade. Hopefully McDermott passes him by next year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

So spiteful. 

They almost went to the Super Bowl last year. They have a ton of injuries this year. 

Marrone is a great coach and was building a winner here before his time was cut short. 

I agree with the point several have made "time cut short" implies involuntary action precluding a longer time

Rex's time was "cut short" when he was fired.  Ditto Doug Whaley.

Marrone's time was not cut short.  He chose to leave.  He exercised his option to leave. 

"left" "exercised his option to leave" "quit" or about half a dozen other phrases would appear more a propos

I left my previous employer.  I had many reasons to do so based upon changing corporate priorities, management changes, etc and I've never regretted it.

My time was not "cut short" because my employer's decisions did not align with my goals and values - I left, quit if you like.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

A buddy of mine was a manager for Syracuse football. Every negative perception you can imagine about Marrone is true. 

I also have it on good authority that “Coffee with the Coach” with Marrone was referred to internally within the Bills organization as “Coffee with the Crotch.”

I know several people who were involved with the then-St Louis Rams one way or the other during the Greatest Show on Turf days.

I have several stories illustrating that Dick Vermeil was a great gentlemen - the kind of man who knew the names of everyone's spouses and kids and a couple things about them and could show genuine concern and interest.

Similar number of stories illustrating that Mike Martz was an arrogant weasel

You can be an arrogant weasel and still be a great football coach.  You can also be a great gentleman and a poor coach.  In this case, I think they were both great coaches but Martz arrogance got the better of him when he stepped up to HC.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

If you take a look at those around him who likely planted that story, none of them are currently working for NFL teams or in pro sports  (sorry, Doug Whaley, WWEFL or whatever it is doesn't count).

I’m just saying you shouldn’t hate the guy for making a personal business decision. Try to be a bit more objective. 

Peterman made a personal business decision to keep being paid to be an nfl qb. 

11 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

To verbally abuse the man because he made a good business decision seems crazy. Yes, it was selfish but look at what he has done in Jax. Turned that franchise around. While we continue to spin our wheels

Oh really?  Marrone and McD have the same number of playoff appearances.  One could actually argue Marrone was handed one of the most talented rosters in football and has "led" them to a 15-14 record over two seasons.

Edited by eball