Has anyone here ever met Doug Marrone?

Another Fan

Whoever keeps saying his time was "cut short" is uh... full of it? The dude quit. He did not initially have an "out" clause in his contract until after the Pegulas took over ownership. The thing is, is the Pegulas had every intention of keeping him. Marrone says he asked for a raise for all of his assistants and was turned down. I've heard the real truth is that he only asked for a raise for himself, which was turned down as the Pegulas told him they would revisit contract negotiations after 2015. On locker room cleanout day, he spoke to the team about their goals for next season and all that. A few hours later, he sent one mass text to the entire team informing them he was leaving... hours after he just laid out next seasons plans.

He couldn't handle the Buffalo media, I have no idea what made him believe he would be able to handle the media in NYC. His agent was in his ear telling him the Jets job was as good as his if he walked from Buffalo, so he did. Then he went and laid a massive egg of an interview for the Jets HC job and they said "no thanks." Gus Bradley threw the guy a bone and brought him on as OL coach and surprise, Jacksonville suddenly had one of the worst OLs in the league.

He cornered Tim Graham in an airport hangar before the Bills left for an away game because he didn't like an article Graham had written or was about to write. Graham has detailed it before on his Twitter and considers it one of the weirdest experiences he's ever had in his journalism career. He was routinely prickly towards Joe B because Joe was never afraid to call out Marrone for constantly playing the field position game and punting from inside the opponents' 40 yard line. He claimed ignorance on a number of things instead of just providing a decent answer.

The organization wanted EJ to start as they had planned to build around him since taking him in 2013. Marrone stomped his feet about that until they brought in Kyle Orton. He also started 5th round rookie Cyril Richardson over a more experienced OG in Kraig Urbik (who had been a starter here for a couple of years at that point). Richardson was abysmal in four of his starts and it was insane that it took four friggin' games before Marrone put Urbik back in the lineup. After Marrone left, Urbik talked about Marrone's stubbornness to adjust in-game and said no matter what, they constantly stuck with outside zone runs even when they were being shut down. He loves him that "3 yards and a cloud of dust" crap that just doesn't work in today's NFL.

Just over a year after his departure from Buffalo, Sports Illustrated (I think) got an interview with him. He spoke about Buffalo but never really gave a reason. After the interview, he called the journalist a couple hours later and asked that the interview not be run. The journalist told him that most of the notes had already been turned over to his editor and it wasn't his call to run the story or not. Marrone called back an hour later and said he spoke with his wife and said he was "OK" with the interview being run even though that really wasn't up to him at that point.

He also tried to run a professional franchise like a college team and a lot of the veteran players didn't care for that, hence why a large portion of the team was fine when he walked away. Weird dude. Never met him, but I've read enough about him to see that he's just a bit of a whackadoodle.

Edited by blacklabel

Doug as many people are in general society is complex when it comes to figuring him out.  Word around Syracuse was he was unapproachable but if you could get in with him he was a decent if not great guy to know.  One story that I find interesting is that somebody thought upon meeting him that he would have benefitted from getting his ass kicked when he was a kid.  It was speculated because he was tall and big framed nobody ever picked a fight with him.  Where this is going is that sometimes by getting your butt kicked you learning some humility.  That you are not leaps and bounds better than those around you.  Doug may not be extremely arrogant but often there is little "give" to the man.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

He wasn't an offensive coach. He was the head coach here, and the head coach gets credit for the whole team.

I didn't like him quitting but I understood it. He was having a power struggle with Whaley and he was losing. Looking back, it should've been Marrone who won.

Marrone had his hands all over the offense. He was intricately involved with the offensive line, for instance, and the offensive line regressed a ton. Much of the personell was the same before he came and after he left, and the offensive line was much better before him and after him.

Itwas believed at the time that Schwartz was the reason that team was winning, because he coached a great defense. If Marrone did one thing well, it was letting his defensive coordinator do his job. Props for that, I guess.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't think he's a terrific coach. Too conservative for me, but he's the best they'd had since Wade. Hopefully McDermott passes him by next year.

I believe that McDermott has already done more with less. Even the year that Marrone got 9 wins, it was because the Pats sat their starters in week 17. That should have been an 8-8 year. McDermott's 9 win season was more legitimate, in my eyes, and he made the playoffs.

Brandon Spikes said he only liked and talked to a few players on the team.  He said Marrone kept to himself and was not very likable.  Brandon said in his time playing for him they never had one conversation other than hello.  He told me that when the team had to take a bus trip that he would just sit in the front and not talk to any of the players and that most of the guys couldn't stand him.  

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Marrone had his hands all over the offense. He was intricately involved with the offensive line, for instance, and the offensive line regressed a ton. Much of the personell was the same before he came and after he left, and the offensive line was much better before him and after him.

Itwas believed at the time that Schwartz was the reason that team was winning, because he coached a great defense. If Marrone did one thing well, it was letting his defensive coordinator do his job. Props for that, I guess.

I believe that McDermott has already done more with less. Even the year that Marrone got 9 wins, it was because the Pats sat their starters in week 17. That should have been an 8-8 year. McDermott's 9 win season was more legitimate, in my eyes, and he made the playoffs.

I cant stand when people say this. They were pulled at the half after we had a lead and our pass rush was getting home. We win that game easily if they played another 2 quarters. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I cant stand when people say this. They were pulled at the half after we had a lead and our pass rush was getting home. We win that game easily if they played another 2 quarters. 

We've all seen that movie before. The Pats would have adjusted and then come out and beat us.

The Pats had already clinched the playoffs and had nothing to play for.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

We've all seen that movie before. The Pats would have adjusted and then come out and beat us.

The Pats had already clinched the playoffs and had nothing to play for.

The pats always have something to play for. They take pride in running up the score in meaningless games. 

Our defense was getting after brady the entire time he was in and we were knocking him around. They had no answer that's why they took him out. 

I can't say I really blame DM for quitting.  He didn't like how things were shaking out & he had a clause & used it.  If anything blame old Rusty for allowing his contract to have that clause.

There is a story I read once when Pegs first took over the Bills, Pegs was walking down the hall & Marrone coming the other way.  Pegs introduced himself & Marrone didn't break stride & gave him a half hand shake & kept walking.  That is one ornery prick right there.  

30 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The pats always have something to play for. They take pride in running up the score in meaningless games. 

Our defense was getting after brady the entire time he was in and we were knocking him around. They had no answer that's why they took him out. 

If the Patriots wanted to answer, they would have.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Oh really?  Marrone and McD have the same number of playoff appearances.  One could actually argue Marrone was handed one of the most talented rosters in football and has "led" them to a 15-14 record over two seasons.

So talented they won 3 games the year before. Maybe you’ll call the 2018 Bills talented when we muster our 4th win this year:

41 minutes ago, Gordio said:

There is a story I read once when Pegs first took over the Bills, Pegs was walking down the hall & Marrone coming the other way.  Pegs introduced himself & Marrone didn't break stride & gave him a half hand shake & kept walking.  That is one ornery prick right there.  

Probably trying to impress Pegula with his workmanlike attitude...too busy with matters to stop for idle chatter.  Ya know.

18 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

If the Patriots wanted to answer, they would have.

So they wanted to lose?  That's what you're going with? Lol ok. 

How many times have the pats clinched the playoffs and benched their starters? 

Brady was getting hit, they couldn't stop our pass rush. They couldn't stop it either when jimmy g came in. He was more mobile and broke some tackles giving them their only offense of the day. 

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

So they wanted to lose?  That's what you're going with? Lol ok. 

How many times have the pats clinched the playoffs and benched their starters? 

Brady was getting hit, they couldn't stop our pass rush. They couldn't stop it either when jimmy g came in. He was more mobile and broke some tackles giving them their only offense of the day. 

More like, they didn't care to win and protected key players. Generally, teams that need/want win play their best guys (the entire game).   

Their top receivers Gronkowski and Edelman didn't even play. 

16 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

I like Doug a lot. He is the best coach we’ve had since Levy.

It is too bad his time here was cut short, he had the potential to do great things. 

Doug is a great family man and a good friend. 

Helen is a great Mother and wife. 

Whatever Doug... it doesn't mean anything unless someone else says it ABOUT you. 

That said, odd way to put across you know the dude. Calling him and his wife good people and saying hes a family friend would accomplish the same thing imo. 

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The rumors of him being a jerk to the common staff at one bills drive are many

Is that analogous to the many here who are jerks to the common TSW poster?....

3 hours ago, offsides#76FredSmerlas said:

Brandon Spikes said he only liked and talked to a few players on the team.  He said Marrone kept to himself and was not very likable.  Brandon said in his time playing for him they never had one conversation other than hello.  He told me that when the team had to take a bus trip that he would just sit in the front and not talk to any of the players and that most of the guys couldn't stand him.  

So what.   If you want a buddy, hire Gruden.   How's that working out for Oakland...

Edited by Lurker