Has anyone here ever met Doug Marrone?

Another Fan

He comes back to town during this week for Sunday's game.  I'm assuming like a lot of people here the image I have of him is hard-headed, arrogant, and not easy to work or get along with.  Still it's not like I know the guy or have ever met him.  Maybe someone here met him once and has a nice story.  Maybe...

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

He comes back to town during this week for Sunday's game.  I'm assuming like a lot of people here the image I have of him is hard-headed, arrogant, and not easy to work or get along with.  Still it's not like I know the guy or have ever met him.  Maybe someone here met him once and has a nice story.  Maybe...

that's the image many have of those who were born and raised in nyc, over here

believe he was born in the bronx?

I remember his first year here. He was on a local radio show here in Rochester during training camp. He was funny, down to earth, charismatic etc. Then his second year, he was on the same show at camp and was an uptight prick. The hosts of the show even mentioned afterwards how he was a completely different person 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, no name said:

that's the image many have of those who were born and raised in nyc, over here

believe he was born in the bronx?

I’m born and raised in the Bronx, in fact my best friends dad coached him at cardinal Hayes HS 10 minutes from my house before he went to lehman. Plenty of great people here. He might be a douche, doesn’t make the rest of us one.

• Like (+1) 9

I met him while he was coach of the Bills. He was at a charity event at a local bar in the Bronx for a firefighter from his old neighborhood. Was nice enough. Talked Bills for 10-15  minutes. Took a couple pictures with him, but he asked that our beers weren't in the picture. I guess with social media you have to watch out for what gets out there, but I thought it was harmless. He was at a bar after all. 

16 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

I like Doug a lot. He is the best coach we’ve had since Levy.

It is too bad his time here was cut short, he had the potential to do great things. 

Doug is a great family man and a good friend. 

Helen is a great Mother and wife. 

Cut short? He quit.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Cut short? He quit.

it qualifies

49 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I remember his first year here. He was on a local radio show here in Rochester during training camp. He was funny, down to earth, charismatic etc. Then his second year, he was on the same show at camp and was an uptight prick. The hosts of the show even mentioned afterwards how he was a completely different person 

The media really took a toll on him

it was certainly noticeable.

They critiqued as soon as he put the banners up in the Field House.
That was a dark period for Buffalo Sports news in regard to Bills football. deserved or not

Edited by 3rdand12

12 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

Correct, 

when you quit, your time is cut short. 

What’s your point?

When you quit, you are a jerk and walked away from your team. Having your time cut short implies that it was not your choice.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes sir. I was at a Cuse v Cincinnati basketball game back when he was the head coach of Syracuse football. 

Me and my bro were up in the nosebleeds, and so was Doug. He was in a suit, and he must have been entertaining potential recruits way up there. I don’t know why they didn’t have better seats. 

Anyway, after a few Dome foams, me and my bro were convinced it was actually him (we were unsure why he’d be in the nosebleeds, plus we weren’t totally positive it was him. It’s weird seeing someone in real life vs TV.)

We would yell to him every time he stood up or walked by us, and he mostly ignored us.

Finally he looked at us when we yelled to him and he said.. “alright guys”.

It it was a total jerk, dismissive move. What an jack wagon. 

Did he seem like a jerk on TV when he coached on Buffalo? Well it wasn’t an act, the guy is a jerk in real life. He couldn’t even say hi to a couple fans. 

Edited by Idandria

1 minute ago, MJS said:

When you quit, you are a jerk and walked away from your team. Having your time cut short implies that it was not your choice.

No it doesn’t. It implies he left before he should have. His contract was not up.

He didn’t just up and decide to quit, there was a lot going on that he did not like. He had an out and took it. If he was treated right things could have been different. 

To verbally abuse the man because he made a good business decision seems crazy. Yes, it was selfish but look at what he has done in Jax. Turned that franchise around. While we continue to spin our wheels. 

• Like (+1) 1