MNF Game thread Rams and Chiefs.

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Okay, fair enough. Pitch and catch on critical downs with high stakes is more fun. No argument. 

I still contend this game was still really good and fun to watch. And one of the biggest plays of the game ended up being the punt at the end.

A game like this won’t be the new NFL. The Chiefs aren’t doing this every week. We just saw two high powered offenses go at it, and we’ll be back to our regular scheduled 13-10 defensive battle next week against the Jags.

Ultimately the NFL is at its best when it is a competition between offense and defense. A game where either of those totally dominates is less fun - to me at least. There were some big defensive plays tonight on turnovers but beyond that not much. 

The thread last week about when defenses are going to adjust and catch up comes to mind. There is no doubt the innovation in the league at the moment is all on the offensive side of the ball. This is more than just rule changes. It is an inequality of arms in terms of innovation and coaching. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have seen multiple. I think the Thursday Night Football just last week was a better game. 

It wasn't. McCarthy ruined that game. You're an arsenal fan and a Bills fan so an ineptitude of coaching probably is a hobby of yours to follow. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ultimately the NFL is at its best when it is a competition between offense and defense. A game where either of those totally dominates is less fun - to me at least. There were some big defensive plays tonight on turnovers but beyond that not much. 

The thread last week about when defenses are going to adjust and catch up comes to mind. There is no doubt the innovation in the league at the moment is all on the offensive side of the ball. This is more than just rule changes. It is an inequality of arms in terms of innovation and coaching. 

There’s a reason BB got away from big fat run stuffing DT’s a few years ago. Unfortunately, he may be the only innovative defensive mind in today’s game.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The defenses put up like 21 points combined or close to that. Caused plenty of turnovers... did you watch the game?

11 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It’s clear the Jags caught lightning in a bottle for a couple games of Bortles last year. 

You think we have lament on Mahomes?  They could have drafted Mahomes and any of one Kamara / Dalvin Cook / Kareem Hunt / Joe Mixon last year instead of Fournette / Corey Robinson. That’s tough. 

Ya can't play the "we can have every player we didn't draft game it will drive you insane. But yes.. it sucks we didn't get Mahomeboy I had no idea he was so electric.  Thought he'd suck to be honest. Now he's one of my favorite players .

Just enjoy you get to watch such an exciting player. And that he doesn't play for the Patriots lol.

Pretty surprised at the Jags. They were killing it in regular season last year too. I guess Bortles is simply inconsistent on a season to season basis.. not even games. Super weird. But the other AFCS teams have better QBs and great defenses would love to see the winner make a run (not the colts)

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

It wasn't. McCarthy ruined that game. You're an arsenal fan and a Bills fan so an ineptitude of coaching probably is a hobby of yours to follow. 

McCarthy did make a big error at the end. But I like games that force coaches to make those decisions..

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The defenses put up like 21 points combined or close to that. Caused plenty of turnovers... did you watch the game?

Yes. The defenses made big plays (mainly offensive mistakes in truth) but beyond those they hardly stopped anything. 

1 hour ago, Blue on Blue said:

Actually, the game sucked.  It had drama because it was close, but watching Madden for 3 3/4 hours gets tiresome indeed.

Yes. This must be millennial football, idk. It’s all completions and interceptions.  This  wasn’t that great to watch 

Edited by bobblehead

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is true. Aaron Donald is an absolute beast and a joy to watch. And I think the best player in the league is he or Drew Brees..... there is a gap after those two in my opinion. 

Yeah, for me Brees is the MVP of the league right now and Donald is DPOY.  Other people having sensational seasons, but those two are a cut above everyone else right now.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

I would pick the Steelers and Pats over KC, especially if KC has to travel.  

I could only stomach another Patriots Super Bowl if they are genuinely blown out and completely embarrassed on the field. Granted, this scenario would be a horrible game, but I would muster a huge smile on my face and thoroughly relish their demise. Pretty much how I felt before Atlanta melt down.    

11 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

Saints or Rams will likely take the NFC. Whoever has home field advantage.

Until Kansas City puts it together during the playoffs/January, I won't ever be convinced that they're the pick. The AFC is a toss up. 

Yeah that's the offensive juggernaut side with no defense. I think KC still has a better D than Steelers, are better in all facets. Barring another Beli SB defense reemerges and playoff TB12 I got Chiefs over Patriots in a lucky tossup championship game.

Still think the AFCS winner will be overlooked given they will be the one balanced team in the AFC playoffs

Just now, GunnerBill said:

McCarthy did make a big error at the end. But I like games that force coaches to make those decisions..

This game forced that decision as well to an extent. McVay didnt want to give KC the ball back and threw it every play and went 3 and out.

The defenses got stops when they needed them. LA to close out the game, KC in the third to get back into it. It had 3 lead changes in the 4th quarter. LA lead by double digits on two or three separate occasions, and eventually trailed after each one.

How anyone could not say this is a great game is beyond me. It's probably the best game I've watched in the last 5 years, I'd venture 10 would be possible as well.

2 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Yes. This must be millennial football, idk. It’s all completions and interceptions.  It’d be great if someone on those teams were a little concerned about not stopping anyone.  

I wish I could accurately convey to you how stupid you sound by saying this must be millenial football.

You're old and bitter with one foot in the grave, keel over already.

In case anyone is wondering:  

The 5 highest scoring teams in NFL history:  Zero Super Bowl wins.  #1 team, 2013 Broncos led by Manning’s 55 TD passes scored 8 points in the SB while getting blown out by the defensive and ground and pound team of the Seahawks.  

Second highest scoring team in NFL history, 2007 Pats (which at time was highest in history) got beat by Giants after scoring just 14 points in SB.

Loved watching this game tonight, but playoffs are a different animal and defense matters.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This game forced that decision as well to an extent. McVay didnt want to give KC the ball back and threw it every play and went 3 and out.

The defenses got stops when they needed them. LA to close out the game, KC in the third to get back into it. It had 3 lead changes in the 4th quarter. LA lead by double digits on two or three separate occasions, and eventually trailed after each one.

How anyone could not say this is a great game is beyond me. It's probably the best game I've watched in the last 5 years, I'd venture 10 would be possible as well.

It isn't even the best game I have watched this week. I get it some people enjoy the high scoring games and just want to see loads of touchdowns. I prefer the games that have a bit more balance. 

I didn't really enjoy last year's Superbowl either for the same reason. 

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I wish I could accurately convey to you how stupid you sound by saying this must be millenial football.

You're old and bitter with one foot in the grave, keel over already.

Ok gotcha 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In case anyone is wondering:  

The 5 highest scoring teams in NFL history:  Zero Super Bowl wins.  #1 team, 2013 Broncos led by Manning’s 55 TD passes scored 8 points in the SB while getting blown out by the defensive and ground and pound team of the Seahawks.  

Second highest scoring team in NFL history, 2007 Pats (which at time was highest in history) got beat by Giants after scoring just 14 points in SB.

Loved watching this game tonight, but playoffs are a different animal and defense matters.

That’s a misleading stat at best. The highest scoring offenses may not have won THAT particular season, but Peyton won SBs in both Denver and Indy, the Pats certainly have won plenty, the Saints, the Packers, the Greatest Show Rams. The NFL has been slanted towards offense for decades now and the Super Bowl has more often than not been an offensive “who has the ball last wins” for years. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't even the best game I have watched this week. I get it some people enjoy the high scoring games and just want to see loads of touchdowns. I prefer the games that have a bit more balance. 

I didn't really enjoy last year's Superbowl either for the same reason. 

And the best game of the week was? It wasnt GB Seattle. That game was two garbage teams. 

The Pittsburgh Jacksonville game was awful as well.

Do you unreasonably hate Alex Smith? Maybe that game would be the best of the weekend for you then.

I mean I don't like Alex Smith, but I don't hate him on that level.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

And the best game of the week was? It wasnt GB Seattle. That game was two garbage teams. 

The Pittsburgh Jacksonville game was awful as well.

Do you unreasonably hate Alex Smith? Maybe that game would be the best of the weekend for you then.

I mean I don't like Alex Smith, but I don't like him on that level.

It’s worthless. Half the fans just get black out drunk for the Bills game and don’t have an accurate view on the league. Showcases like tonight slap them in the face with the fact we aren’t even playing in the same league as the top teams. They cope by claiming it’s ruining football and not entertaining. 

• Like (+1) 3