Vontae Davis Makes Light of Quitting on the Bills in FanDuel Ad

26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Vontae Davis' impact is nothing more than the answer to a trivia question.  No one will remember him for anything but quitting mid-game.  

He owns it.  

I.. harbor no feelings towards the man. Not a POS. Just knew he wasn't cut out to be an above average defender with a rebuilding team.. wondering why he was even on there in the first place.

Only thing I think about Vontae is it's pretty ****ing funny how he retired like he did.

***** him and the horse he rode in on.

5 hours ago, The Red King said:

Side note...not everyone agrees with what Bell did, either.  You sign a contract, you play the damn contract.  That it's somehow possible to avoid playing a contract you signed baffles me.

Bell did not sign a contract.  He played out his contract and was franchise tagged in 2017.  He signed and played out that one-year contract.  Steelers lowballed him on a long-term deal and then went public with the terms.  Bell refused to sign the franchise tender.  It was not a holdout, he was not under contract. The man honored his commitments.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who cares?

If he had left the team and then threw weights at gym patrons while screaming at cops about NSA communications, half this board would be begging for him to come back....

I mean... I think he'd have to go the MJ route and turn white, but then, he'd have that cult following claiming he's a great guy and some *****.

5 hours ago, The Red King said:

You finish the game.  Even if you finish it on the bench, you finish the game then retire.  If he did that, then retired citing decline in ability, people here would have been fine.  Hell, we all saw the decline in performance.  It was the whole "can't be bothered to even finish the game" that was a slap in the face.

Side note...not everyone agrees with what Bell did, either.  You sign a contract, you play the damn contract.  That it's somehow possible to avoid playing a contract you signed baffles me.

So I take it you're a fan of guaranteed contracts then?

• Thank you (+1) 1

14:57

14:58

14:59

It's over! Buh-bye.

12 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

This guy and Peterman. SMH. 

So embarrassing, do they have no self-respect?

You're comparing apples to tea kettles. 

Vontae sucked and then went full asshat and quit mid-game. Now this. 

Peterman by every measure and report worked his ass off and it turns out he wasn't good enough. He was a total class act and did nothing bad as a person. Attended every post-game interview. Talked to the media. Kept working and trying. His last start showed (again) that he wasn't good enough, but it was his best outing in a very non-threatening offensive scheme. His problem is that he was about what you might expect from a 5th round QB: Not good. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He quit because he couldn’t play. Whether it was mental or physical I am not really sure, but it was what was best for everyone. The D looked better from that moment on for the most part. I don’t think Vontea was all of it but negativity can bring a place down.

Quitting at half time may have embarrassed the Bills briefly, but it hardly matters if he did it then or after the game.  He didn't want to play anymore.

Would it have been better if he dogged it the rest of the season and stolen the Bills money?

At first, as a fan I was appalled he would do such a thing. But, thinking about it a bit more, this guy doesn’t owe us a g damn thing. If he wants to walk away, regardless of the timing, who are we to judge? If this is what makes him happy, fine. I’m sure there have been players who have been unofficially cut mid-game, so how is this different?

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Quitting at half time may have embarrassed the Bills briefly, but it hardly matters if he did it then or after the game.  He didn't want to play anymore.

Would it have been better if he dogged it the rest of the season and stolen the Bills money?

How about letting the team know before the game so they could make him inactive.

12 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

Not because of me or this board. For his teammates. 

Look at where he is now. What difference would it have made (monetarily) if he just quit last year? A few measly hundred of thousands of dollars is a small trade compared to sacrificing your team and entire year. Also his reputation would still be intact. 

We’d be in a much better position this year if he would have just taken responsibility and quit before it was too late. Selfishly, he didn’t.

”me” players never make it, especially on McDermotts team.  

His reputation will forever be remembered as Bills lore.  A typical villain. 

Your reasoning is completely short sighted and the thought that an nfl player should quit because he’s played poorly is crazy. You talk about a “me” player as a way to describe a player that has been described as the antithesis of that very word by his head coach. The guy did everything in his power to be better and worked his tail off doing so. If anyone’s at fault here it’s McDermott for not seeing that the kid was simply not good enough. 

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He made the decision in game obviously.

Making the decision mid-game is fine IMO.

I think it would've sat much better with his teammates--and the general public (not that Vontae cares about either)--if he had simply addressed his teammates at halftime and told them that he made a mistake.  He couldn't play anymore and knew he was hurting the team. 

Guys may not have agreed, but at least they would have respected him much more than him simply cleaning out his locker and going home.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Which was not a good look at all for him.  Gut it out for 30 minutes of football and then let the team know. 

We all get that it wasn't a good look for him or the team.

But the vilification here is over the top for a guy who basically had a cup of coffee in Buffalo.