MVP race

CDogg20

Who is your MVP?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. MVP

• Drew Brees
    • Patrick Mahomes
    • Todd Gurley

I don't know why people are even mentioning Aaron Donald as a possibility. There's no way that a defensive player on a below average defense is going to win the MVP award. We went through this with JJ Watt already, who had a far stronger case for it IMO. Oddshark has it right; it's Mahomes or Brees with an outside shot of Rivers and a super outside shot of Luck.

Just now, DCOrange said:

I don't know why people are even mentioning Aaron Donald as a possibility. There's no way that a defensive player on a below average defense is going to win the MVP award. We went through this with JJ Watt already, who had a far stronger case for it IMO. Oddshark has it right; it's Mahomes or Brees with an outside shot of Rivers and a super outside shot of Luck.

Brees was the clear favorite until the Cowboys game they lost with their attack shut down.

Of the three poll options I would probably go with Mahomes. Chiefs seem to have the worst defense of the three teams going by the eye test. And the Saints offense has really struggled in it's last few games. Gurley has been good but I don't think he has separated himself from the top QBs this year who are all playing at a very high level. If Rivers can lock up the #1 seed in the AFC with a win this weekend and a Chiefs and Pat Mahomes loss to the Seahawks I think he will become the favorite going into week 17.

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The precedent has been set that there should never be a defensive MVP.

im sure some day they will to seem “fair”, but all that is is a slap in the face of Watt’s season which was one of the greatest single seasons of any player ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Agreed. It goes to show why defensive players pretty much never win the award. Even one of the all time great defensive players can easily be game planned around and an offense can put up a lot of points still if the rest of the defense is sub par.

50 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The precedent has been set that there should never be a defensive MVP.

im sure some day they will to seem “fair”, but all that is is a slap in the face of Watt’s season which was one of the greatest single seasons of any player ever. 

i see 2 of them on the D and a kicker

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

the 100 people that voted for Drew. Ya'll dumb. It was always Mahomeboy.

Don't be silly. Brees was it at one point, but he's been overtaken by Mahomes who has been consistently very good to great all season long with Brees dipping down the stretch. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Don't be silly. Brees was it at one point, but he's been overtaken by Mahomes who has been consistently very good to great all season long with Brees dipping down the stretch. 

Brees had the slightest of advantages over Mahomes in the middle of the season (when he had his 2 "off" games), who at any point had a chance to seal the award by tossing 55+ TDs.. and was bound to see Kamara and Ingram and the defense win a few games for him whereas Mahomes was always forced to win the game or pad his stats in a blow out. I didn't see Brees' drop but I certainly saw low scoring grind out games because the Saints were so darn good. At which point Mahomes would catch up with his 6 TD 3 INT games basically carrying the Chiefs.

No I'm being facetious, it was super close and no obvious answer throughout the season. Fun race. But it DEFINITELY shouldn't have been 100 Brees to 30 Mahomes at any point. Too many here were chalking it up to Brees "had it coming" and even if he didn't outright convincingly win, the "voters are going to give it to the better body of work".. I don't think that's ever true. The MVP voters do a good job of avoiding a player's career body of work.. with the exception of Peyton seasons where there was nobody else to really give it to (he had some pretty average seasons by MVP standards)

• Like (+1) 1