The Bills Promote LB Corey Thompson to the 53 Man Roster

26CornerBlitz

25 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I figured this was the move to make to fill that 53rd roster spot.  I'm also taking note of Thompson's replacement on the PS.  He's an Ivy Leaguer, which is why he didn't make any noise in the draft process last spring.  His size is not bad and he's a pretty good athlete.  Obviously, the jump from Brown University to the NFL is a pig one, but he's got some tools and is very smart (plans on becoming a medical doctor when his NFL playing says are over).

I'm guessing his time on the Jags PS also played a role

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Usually at this time of the year, bad teams start poaching young guys with potential. It could be simply the Bills knew someone was gonna claim him and they didn’t want to lose him.

That certainly does happen, but the Bills were thin at linebacker with the release of Humber, and Thompson is familiar with the system and his responsibilities as a backup to Milano.  I think the promotion from within says something about the confidence the Bills have in their ability to identify UDFAs after the draft who have potiential to actually make a contribution when they've had a chance to acclimate to the NFL.  They needed to add a player, and I think they thought it would be better to promote than poach another team's PS, getting a player who would need time to learn what the Bills wanted from him.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He was on the Bills' PS.

Tiger needed to be more clear.  He was referring to Jarvis (from Brown), who the Bills just signed to the PS to replace Thompson.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He's technically replacing Ramon Humber. I like it. Not much on teh market at linebacker right now and if nothing else, he will help with special teams. 

...nice to see another youngster get a shot....many have been working out well...........

• Like (+1) 1