Jon Gruden, Derek Carr Have Heated Sideline Exchange in Raiders' Dramatic Win... What do you think transpired?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

48 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Honestly it’s really hard not to blame Gruden for Carr’s play. Carr used to be a good QB, struggled last year on a bad team rebounding from injury, and then now is the victim of the biggest dunce.

To be fair, Carr had a pretty tight window of good play. For his first year and a half, or so his stats were actually relatively close to EJ starting his career (haven’t discussed this in awhile so I don’t remember the exact comp period)

23 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Technically true, but not in terms of guaranteed money I believe. Gruden has a guaranteed 100 Mil coming his way

...over 10 years. Carr has $125M over 5 years. So assuming that a team is planning on keeping their franchise QB for 5 years it is significantly more. Only the Raiders would handle this situation like they have been. 

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No freaking way.  Absurd.  Carr sucks and is paid a gazillion dollars.  

Carr does not suck. He's not elite, but his 2015 and 2016 seasons were both above average (combined, ~8,000 yards, 60 TDs/19 INTs, and 11 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives). This season, he's doing as about best as can be expected given the terrible personnel situation/clown show in Oakland. He's on pace for over 4200 yards and a 94 rating.  Key stat - in his best season (2016), he had the lowest sack rate in the league.

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair, Carr had a pretty tight window of good play. For his first year and a half, or so his stats were actually relatively close to EJ starting his career (haven’t discussed this in awhile so I don’t remember the exact comp period)

Actually, it was really just his first half season. He played pretty well, relatively speaking, in the second half of his rookie season.

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For those who keep commenting on Carr for Allen....I wasn't being serious.  

There's a better than even chance that Carr will be better than Allen ever will be. We're betting on the upside potential of Allen, which I understand and support, but Carr has actually had genuinely good seasons. I also expect him to land somewhere at some point that is a sane situation, and I won't be surprised if he turns into another Carson Palmer (great first couple of seasons followed by an early-mid career lull due entirely to organizational chaos followed again by near elite play).

Edited by dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...over 10 years. Carr has $125M over 5 years. So assuming that a team is planning on keeping their franchise QB for 5 years it is significantly more. Only the Raiders would handle this situation like they have been. 

Hmm I wouldn’t be so sure they keep him for all 5 years.

I could definitely see them drafting a QB next year.

Carr was not Grudens guy when the contract was signed. Seem to have a pretty rocky relationship as well

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Hmm I wouldn’t be so sure they keep him for all 5 years.

I could definitely see them drafting a QB next year.

Carr was not Grudens guy when the contract was signed. Seem to have a pretty rocky relationship as well

Oh I agree. All that I am saying is that what other franchise signs a QB to that type of deal to move on a year later? The Carr contract and the Gruden contract are what prevented them from signing Mack. The guaranteed money goes into an annuity upon signing the deal and Mark Davis was too cash poor to retain Mack. He made a stupid decision to give an average QB that kind of money and an even stupider decision to do the sameness with Gruden. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh I agree. All that I am saying is that what other franchise signs a QB to that type of deal to move on a year later? The Carr contract and the Gruden contract are what prevented them from signing Mack. The guaranteed money goes into an annuity upon signing the deal and Mark Davis was too cash poor to retain Mack. He made a stupid decision to give an average QB that kind of money and an even stupider decision to do the sameness with Gruden. 

Well said. Oh well not my money! Must be nice to give away 200 million to watch your potential up and coming team get dismantled into smithereens.  

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Honestly it’s really hard not to blame Gruden for Carr’s play. Carr used to be a good QB, struggled last year on a bad team rebounding from injury, and then now is the victim of the biggest dunce.

Not last year....

He's a flash in the pan.