Jon Gruden, Derek Carr Have Heated Sideline Exchange in Raiders' Dramatic Win... What do you think transpired?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh I agree. All that I am saying is that what other franchise signs a QB to that type of deal to move on a year later? The Carr contract and the Gruden contract are what prevented them from signing Mack. The guaranteed money goes into an annuity upon signing the deal and Mark Davis was too cash poor to retain Mack. He made a stupid decision to give an average QB that kind of money and an even stupider decision to do the sameness with Gruden. 

Ya I 100 percent agree

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh I agree. All that I am saying is that what other franchise signs a QB to that type of deal to move on a year later? The Carr contract and the Gruden contract are what prevented them from signing Mack. The guaranteed money goes into an annuity upon signing the deal and Mark Davis was too cash poor to retain Mack. He made a stupid decision to give an average QB that kind of money and an even stupider decision to do the sameness with Gruden. 

That's not really true Kirby.   Coaches salaries have nothing to do with the Salary cap.   

And we can't accuse the owner of being a cheap wad because of Chuckies deal

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That's not really true Kirby.   Coaches salaries have nothing to do with the Salary cap.   

And we can't accuse the owner of being a cheap wad because of Chuckies deal

It’s the actual dollars. I’m not sure that coaches’ salaries work the same as players but the guaranteed portion of contracts are put into an annuity (as I understand it). Mark Davis didn’t have the additional $75M sitting around to put in the annuity for Mack (or whatever it was). He is cash poor until Vegas. 

Now, I would think that he could have gotten a loan to do it but that’s the way that I heard the story.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s the actual dollars. I’m not sure that coaches’ salaries work the same as players but the guaranteed portion of contracts are put into an annuity (as I understand it). Mark Davis didn’t have the additional $75M sitting around to put in the annuity for Mack (or whatever it was). He is cash poor until Vegas. 

Now, I would think that he could have gotten a loan to do it but that’s the way that I heard the story.

I don’t have any “sources” or anything, but I had heard that too. He just didn’t have that much ca$h to make the Mack deal work. I’m not sure if it was fact or speculation, but it does make sense. I mean, you’re talking about tying up some pretty serious money there! 

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with the premise of actual dollars being spent, but still the cap is the cap.   I was about to post the owner was cheap but then reconsidered when I thought about the Gruden deal, 

Its Vegas Baby....  there has to be someone to loan him some (shady) cash

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

I have never seen a QB burn so many time outs because he can’t get the play off in time.

Dude called back to back time outs at one point and was penalized for it. I know Gruden was in his ear after that. I don't know when this other altercation took place. I'd be pissed if I was Carr. He goes from being part of a core of solid young players to the only guy left standing on a team coached by a guy who probably doesn't want him there to begin with. Plus, if he sticks with the Raiders, he's gonna have to pick up and move to Vegas in another year.

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I agree with the premise of actual dollars being spent, but still the cap is the cap.   I was about to post the owner was cheap but then reconsidered when I thought about the Gruden deal, 

Its Vegas Baby....  there has to be someone to loan him some (shady) cash

Yeah, the cap wasn’t an issue with Mack. That would have worked fine. Davis has just tied up so much cash that he couldn’t afford to put the money into an annuity. He has the Carr money in an annuity and I’m assuming (but not positive) that coaches’ salaries work the same way. He can’t just say, “I’ll pay you ____.” It is held on the front end.