The Tasom Hill Effect

Taysom Hill  

51 members have voted

1. 1. The Jack Back position

• Is Hill a new trend in the league that will become a new position ?
    • Is Hill just a fit for the Saints ?
    • Is he a gimmick ?

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Looks solid, but he’s listed as 6’2” and 220

By comparison Trace McSorley is 205 lbs soaking wet. Some of these running QBs are more slot receiver than Hill. Taysom runs that zone read down hill. He plays on coverage units. That’s in addition to the rest of his role (punt returns, Rb, wr, QB). Those other guys can do some of what Taysom does but not all of it.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

By comparison Trace McSorley is 205 lbs soaking wet. Some of these running QBs are more slot receiver than Hill. Taysom runs that zone read down hill. He plays on coverage units. That’s in addition to the rest of his role (punt returns, Rb, wr, QB). Those other guys can do some of what Taysom does but not all of it.

Point granted, but you'd mentioned Lamar Jackson who's listed as 6'3", 212.  Not sure 8 lbs makes that big of a difference.

I don't think they'll be playin LJax on coverage units though - you never know.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I can say this, he’s a GOD in New Orleans. They LOVE him. He is a weird, special, alien. I think that his role is a growing one around the league. He’s a guy that can create matchup issues because you never know where he will line up. Every team would love a Taysom Hill but not every team has him (or Sean Payton). 

How does his package compare to Joe Webb's though?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Point granted, but you'd mentioned Lamar Jackson who's listed as 6'3", 212.  Not sure 8 lbs makes that big of a difference.

I don't think they'll be playin LJax on coverage units though - you never know.

Lamar Jackson is a QB. That’s different IMO. He can run a lot but throws well. That’s why he went in the first. These other guys are more “gadget” players. They CAN play QB but can also play all over. Jackson has done some of it this year but his long-term plan is QB. They won’t expose him to the collisions on a coverage team. Taysom, to me, is a fast Tim Tebow (with a genius coach). 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

Hill is a good football player and a contributor to the Saints success, but they would still be doing very well without him.  While some have mentioned Brad Smith and Kordell Stewart, a better comparison that goes back a number of years is Jim Jensen of the Dolphins.  He came into the league as a QB, but played receiver, tight end, running back, special teams and threw the occasional pass.  I think he was bigger and more physical than Smith and Stewart (his nickname was "Crash"), which makes him a better comparison to Hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jensen_(wide_receiver)

Edited by msw2112