Thoughts on not making Anthony Lynn our HC?

Virgil

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why does it always have to be “did we make a mistake”?  No one was asking this last year when we made the playoffs and he didn’t.  

You are exhibiting symptoms of JFR (John from Riverside) syndrome:

You complain when people are critical of an organizational decision "too early"..........and then you ask why they weren't critical earlier when they are critical in hindsight.

It's just a question on a message board, dude.

That's "Why".

Here are my thoughts:

-- Anthony Lynn is a good coach.

-- Sean McDermott is a good coach.

-- I believe that the Pegulas' interest in Lynn was sincere.

-- Whaley and the Pegulas (inadvertently, I believe) threw Lynn under the pass, forcing him to face the press when Rex was fired. It was not a good look for Lynn or the franchise.

-- The Pegulas wanted to go in a new direction.

I also believe that the two teams were looking for something different in their head coaches at the time. The Bills were looking for someone whom they believed could serve as the face of the franchise -- someone they believed could also play a role in being the architect of a new-look team. The Chargers, believing that they had a quality front office in place and a telent-loaded roster that had under-0achieved under McCoy, were looking more for a solid leader and coach who could get the most out of the talent on the field.

Edited by 2003Contenders

11 hours ago, stuvian said:

Rivers has never won a meaningful game. He's padded his stats tossing the alley oop to HOFer Antonio Gates. The Bolts RBs are just average. Other than Bosa, I am not well acquainted with their D but they are playing well for Lynn.

Rivers is going to be a serious candidate for the HOF. My bet is that he will be inducted in Canton with half of the seats at the ceremony filled by his kids. If Rivers was a horse he would be working as stud in Kentucky producing offspring. 

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because they haven't played in a playoff game with Lynn as HC yet.

Last year they lost to the Chiefs twice, the Eagles, NE and the Jags.  This year, they've lost to the Chiefs and the Rams. 

They don't beat the best teams.

The only teams this year that have beaten the Chiefs and Rams are the Pats and Saints, respectively. 

9 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He has a QB.  Im happy with the direction I believe we are headed in.  I will say that if we kept Lynn then Trubisky may have been our QB.

Then i guess it's a good thing we passed on Lynn, who I like.

Trubisky is the most overrated QB in the NFL. Terrible selection by Chicago. He is 100 percent the product of Nagy's offensive gameplans.

34 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The only teams this year that have beaten the Chiefs and Rams are the Pats and Saints, respectively. 

They are beating tomato cans.  Last year they lost to good teams.  This year, so far, as well.

Lynn isn't special. 

On 11/18/2018 at 11:25 AM, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

I believe it will be the LA chargers vs LA rams in super bowl. If that does indeed happen, I will be very upset that we didn’t hire him

I'd go back in time for Jim Schwartz if we're playing this game.

But Lynn is a good coach. One thing that frustrates me is we don't promote our coordinators. Sure it's a bad look to fire head coaches as often as we do. But how do you maintain consistency? Promote your coordinators that have been or are head coaching candidates anyway especially if you're the Pegulas and have no clue what you're doing

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

On 11/18/2018 at 9:25 AM, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

Seeing as i once read that there are 3 C's in the NFL & they are Continuity, Consistency, & Comfort i have had a problem with the last 2 coaching hires . I like the McD hire but i think that there wasn't enough thought given to this or the last hire of Rex !

I am a firm believer with the adage that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" & given the last 2 coaching changes the on after Marrone & then when Rex was fired we had 2 things going really well ,prior to the Rex hire Schwartz had the D playing at a very high level & has since taken his team (with numerous ex Bills players) & won a super bowl

Then with the Rex firing the offense on the rushing side of things ranked in the top 5 for a couple of years & wasn't terrible prior to Rex all due to Anthony Lynn coupled with one of the best O line coaches in the game Kromer which looks as if he will now take the Rams to the big game this year with a great rushing attack.

So "IF" the thought of either of these guys were as a replacement to their respective coaches that were released or quit were actually being thought of & the 3 C's being a part of the over all thought process of the NFL then the ball has clearly been dropped repeatedly but i am hoping that while dropping it with Lynn will be a good thing due to where the now coaching staff & FO have the team going it will be worth the wait for years of winning to come !! 

Because the only thing the Bills were lacking on the offensive side of the ball was a good QB if the choice would have been to keep either Schwartz Or Lynn ... 

On 11/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, Saint Doug said:

I do give him credit for sustaining their prior success. This is a situation where a coach was hired that didn’t automatically rip everything down to it “his way” with “his guys”. 

What a concept! Use the tools you have and improve on things as you go! 

• 1 month later...