Thoughts on not making Anthony Lynn our HC?

Virgil

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The GM stayed in place so he didn’t have the whole say there. He reports to him. They also kept both the OC and DC so there weren’t scheme changes to adjust to like there normally is. Also, it was not an easy transition. They started out 0-4 last year. He’s pretty militant in his approach which is the opposite of what McCoy was like. 

He did change the DC... he brought Gus Bradley in. 

3 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Rivers does certainly help but Lynn didn't feel the need to jettison talent and suck to try and get better. He didn't come into a perfect situation, he's made everything better without the fictitious need to be bad first.

Exactly. 

The Chargers were 4-12 and 5-11 in the previous 2 years before he took over. In 2016, they were towards the bottom of the NFL in D, and that was with a good pass rush.

He did in LA what he did with the Bills' O in 2016. He built on what he had and improved on some things.

I was really surprised how well he handled himself after taking over as OC in Buffalo, happily surprised.

When you look at HIS process, I'm not surprised he's doing well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know this much........Lynn was a better fit for taking the Bills straight into SB contention.

He guided the best offense the Bills have fielded since their second SB season.

Turning around a defense is relatively easy in the NFL...........you can always find good DC's like a Sean McDermott.........but when you have good offense you want to build on that.

For those that point to McD making the playoffs and not Lynn.........well Lynn's team absolutely destroyed the Bills in a signature "decision" game for McD.........and the Chargers were generally the much better team but their kicker cost them DEARLY..........while the Bills weren't very good but their kicker was amazing.

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He did change the DC... he brought Gus Bradley in. 

Yeah Yoyo's memory fails him...........Lynn and Bradley were considered a package deal.

The excuses about the Bills changing GM are laughable..........the f*cking HC served as de facto GM and then hand-picked his close friend to be his GM.........it shouldn't get any more favorable than that.?

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The only thing I think is relevant outside of having Rivers is the fact the Lynn is an offensive coach and McDermott is a defensive coach. 

As debated to exhaustion, most believe you need to have an offensive minded coach to succeed in today’s NFL

For consistency/longevity sake you need to be an offensive driven team the way the NFL is constructed..........if you have an offensive minded HC you are way ahead of the game..........but as Tomlin proves in Pittsburgh you can get by with a durable, system versatile stud QB and a bunch of playmakers.

On defense you are only as strong as your weakest links.........if you have a couple mediocre players in the lineup they will get exposed and cost you dearly........and then you need depth on the DL and secondary...........because of that it's just too expensive in terms of chips and cap space to maintain a top defense and still be serviceable on offense over the long haul.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For consistency/longevity sake you need to be an offensive driven team the way the NFL is constructed..........if you have an offensive minded HC you are way ahead of the game..........but as Tomlin proves in Pittsburgh you can get by with a durable, system versatile stud QB and a bunch of playmakers.

It's tough to make this argument since the program with the most consistency and longevity, by far, in history is run by Bill Belichick.

More importantly, than the background of the head coach, is getting the right coordinators installed, especially on the other side of the ball from your own specialty.

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

I was riding the Frank Reich train!!

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

...agree...just quietly goes about his business....would be nice to see Phillip cash in some day with a ring..................

14 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's tough to make this argument since the program with the most consistency and longevity, by far, in history is run by Bill Belichick.

More importantly than the background of the head coach, is getting the right coordinators installed, especially on the other side of the ball from your own specialty.

Shhhhhh.… 

I think with Lynn, we would have kept Tyrod.  Presuming Gus Bradley was the D Coordinator under Lynn, we may have seen a similar result year one with the Bills.  Chargers have had a ton of talent for years, but never had the right coaching combination.  The offense put up a lot of points under Rivers, but they had to since their defense was so bad.  There wasn't a lot to dismantle on that team.  The Bills on the other hand never seem to have a cohesive plan on either side of the ball. 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

He is a good coach but has a Hall of Fame quarterback. The Bills also made the playoffs last year. He didn't and he had a heck of a lot more talent. I wouldn't want to play him in the playoffs but he isn't beating the Chiefs.

4 minutes ago, pop gun said:

He had one, he chose to dismantle the whole effing thing! 

Because for so long regimes here didn't start from scratch.  They just tried to add to the existing team and for 20 years it didn't work.  Someone comes in and does it differently and everyone who is shortsighted can't understand what's happening.  It's the same plan that Philadelphia and the Rams used.  You NEED to have a foundation of young players before you have big contracts and Buffalo already had huge contracts which limits their possibilities and window of success.  They are looking for long term success not a one and done year.  Realize what is happening here my dude.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, pop gun said:

He had one, he chose to dismantle the whole effing thing! 

The offense was good, but was it sustainable? I remember it was lots of long bombs to Watkins and not a lot of long sustained drives. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Because for so long regimes here didn't start from scratch.  They just tried to add to the existing team and for 20 years it didn't work.  Someone comes in and does it differently and everyone who is shortsighted can't understand what's happening.  It's the same plan that Philadelphia and the Rams used.  You NEED to have a foundation of young players before you have big contracts and Buffalo already had huge contracts which limits their possibilities and window of success.  They are looking for long term success not a one and done year.  Realize what is happening here my dude.

You're just another one who can't see the incompetence. 

Keep drinking! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, pop gun said:

You're just another one who can't see the incompetence. 

Keep drinking! 

I don't drink my good sir haha.  You do realize that this offseason will be another big roster turnover.  Everyone complained about Zay Jones and he looks like a competent number 2 receiver now.  Give it time my friend.  Players are developing.  That's what this entire season was about to begin with.

• Like (+1) 3