Thoughts on not making Anthony Lynn our HC?

Virgil

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I haven’t seen much attention called to fact that the Chargers are 7-2 with the guy we let walk away to be their coach. 

Are those out there thinking we made a mistake or do you chalk it up to having Rivers?

Either way, I’m happy for him and glad he is making the most of his opportunity. 

Having Rivers sure doesn't hurt, but I'm sure his coaching style also a factor!

Rivers...but they also hit on some good D players, have an underrated #1 WR and a very good RB.  7-2 and Bosa's playing his first game today.  This team is a real threat I think and Lynn certainly isn't doing anything to hold them back.

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Lynne’s doing a good job. Having Rivers certainly helps.

It's a disgrace that rivers does not have a ring or even a super bowl appearance.  He's always been a Top 5-7 qb talent.  Horrendous coaching and front office are to blame along with franchise uncertainty.  They don't even play home games now. Finally with a quality coach like A Lynn rivers may get his ring even while playing no home games.  

• Like (+1) 4

Anthony Lynn is a good coach. Did we make a mistake? I'm not sure yet. Lynn could lose Rivers and then miss on a QB in the draft and be out of the league in 5 years. While Allen may be struggling now he may develop into a franchise QB and McD has a gig in Buffalo for the next 15 years.

Data inconclusive. Who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Credit to Lynn for taking a good situation for him to instantly jump in and have success.  Nice to come in and have a top QB, RB, DE

I do give him credit for sustaining their prior success. This is a situation where a coach was hired that didn’t automatically rip everything down to it “his way” with “his guys”. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Rivers, Allen, Gordon Ana a great defense help.  Not much he really has to do.  

12 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I do give him credit for sustaining their prior success. This is a situation where a coach was hired that didn’t automatically rip everything down to it “his way” with “his guys”. 

The GM stayed in place so he didn’t have the whole say there. He reports to him. They also kept both the OC and DC so there weren’t scheme changes to adjust to like there normally is. Also, it was not an easy transition. They started out 0-4 last year. He’s pretty militant in his approach which is the opposite of what McCoy was like. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Lynn had a stacked team last year and a future hall of fame QB, and his team missed the playoffs.

Meanwhile, McDermott had a backup for QB and a roster depleted of talent. His team made the playoffs.

I am far more impressed with McDermott than I am with Lynn.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think he’s a bad coach, but I don’t know yet if he’s a coach that would do any better with our roster than McD has. He has a far superior roster/QB situation. 

Is some of that the fault of McD though?

The only thing I think is relevant outside of having Rivers is the fact the Lynn is an offensive coach and McDermott is a defensive coach. 

As debated to exhaustion, most believe you need to have an offensive minded coach to succeed in today’s NFL

45 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Lynne’s doing a good job. Having Rivers certainly helps.

Rivers does certainly help but Lynn didn't feel the need to jettison talent and suck to try and get better. He didn't come into a perfect situation, he's made everything better without the fictitious need to be bad first.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.