Barkley should start and lose or keep the job. Nuance, emotion, morale are important.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Clearly you're unbiased and impartial on this matter.

But you do have something in this situation, you have six meaningless games for Allen to start in and see how he develops. If you wait till next season then the games all matter again.

These traits are only exceeded by his patience! 

I have my reservations, but we drafted him and have to see if they can develop him. ANYBODY who thinks they KNOW what he can become at this point is fooling themselves. You cannot KNOW at this point, so it’s time to give him every opportunity. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Name all the guys you'd like. Barkley is Barkley as a player who should be judged on his own individual strengths and weaknesses.  Why do you keep arguing for something so shortsighted that's already decided the other way?  3-7 record with six weeks out due to injury says it's Allen time along with many other young players we saw last week. 

Barkley was an all world high school player. Player of the year. And set records at one of the most storied high school programs in the nation. Then he was recruted heavily and went to a big time school in USC. Started all 4 years against top notch competition and would have been a top 15 pick if he came out before his injury. Barkley is accurate, throws with anticipation, gives his receivers a chance and is very smart.

Allen was not recruited at all and went to Wyoming. He wasnt even good against inferior competition. Allen should have dominated that conference and he didn’t even come close to that. All he has at this point is a strong arm and mobility.

Just because the Bills were dumb enough to take this guy at 7, doesn’t mean he should be good. What part of any of this, tells you Allen should be better then Barkley. At every level Barkley has been better. Now in the same exact offense, with the same players Barkley was much better. What are we really looking at here?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Barkley was an all world high school player. Player of the year. And set records at one of the most storied high school programs in the nation. Then he was recruted heavily and went to a big time school in USC. Started all 4 years against top notch competition and would have been a top 15 pick if he came out before his injury. Barkley is accurate, throws with anticipation, gives his receivers a chance and is very smart.

Allen was not recruited at all and went to Wyoming. He wasnt even good against inferior competition. Allen should have dominated that conference and he didn’t even come close to that. All he has at this point is a strong arm and mobility.

Just because the Bills were dumb enough to take this guy at 7, doesn’t mean he should be good. What part of any of this, tells you Allen should be better then Barkley. At every level Barkley has been better. Now in the same exact offense, with the same players Barkley was much better. What are we really looking at here?

I don't care about any of that. Barkley has a track record in the NFL that screams backup. 10 TDs and 18 INTs with some good games mixed in. Not wasting time to see what he is because it's already demonstrated is the right move for the Bills. 

Here is the problem with anything you say about this. You state " If Allen starts and does great it will be the first time." Here is some perspective for you.  Can I trust you were in Siberia when Allen went 15/22 68.8 1 0, and scored 2 rushing TDs for QB rating of 111.2 wk 3? I guess that fact didn't fit your narrative and therefore anything else you said only supports the same faulty narrative.

If they didnt expend all that effort to get Allen than start Barkley.....but since they did.....play Allen moving forward........there are not going anywhere near the postseason at this point.......but they may have a good backup for a change now......

5 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

So you're a G-O-D revering person who calls others names.....

.....don't think you'll gain favor with you know who with that attitude.   

Talk about reaching man lol.  Yeah let's turn this religious eventhough were talking about football lol.  It's a figure of speech man.  Wow u guys are sad.  

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Then why isnt Barkley a starting QB.  Can you answer that?  Tim Tebow was great in college too.  You guys act like this guy hasnt been given chances.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't care about any of that. Barkley has a track record in the NFL that screams backup. 10 TDs and 18 INTs with some good games mixed in. Not wasting time to see what he is because it's already demonstrated is the right move for the Bills. 

Josh Allen’s numbers would extrapolate out to 10 TDs and 25 Ints. Might as well pack him up then. They almost have the same amount of starts and Barkley has shown way more. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Josh Allen’s numbers would extrapolate out to 10 TDs and 25 Ints. Might as well pack him up then. They almost have the same amount of starts and Barkley has shown way more. 

He's played in six games as a top ten 1st round pick who's blessed with tremendous physical gifts Barkley could only dream of.  He's raw and he'll get additional develoment in these final six games.  You obviously don't get why a guy off the street will not start over the QB that the team invested so much to acquire.  It's not that hard to figure out.

3 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

This is a weakness for McDermott that shows up repeatedly. 

He should start Barkely because the Bills kicked butt behind Barkely. It is that simple.

Barkely should be able to prove it was either a fluke, or not. The team deserves that.

Instead they will start Allen for no other reason other than they drafted him.

How is the team supposed to be positive and stoked when they know they finally had a tremendous victory and in response the coaches pulled the starting QB?

What if Allen does the most likely thing, and struggles? What if it is so bad they have to pull him? Then he is behind the 8 ball if you ask me. They are risking that for no good enough reason.

This staff paints themselves into corners where the only possible non-disaster outcome is that their plan goes exactly the way they envision.

So lets hope Allen does great because if he doesn't we will have a better playing QB sitting on the bench just because the coach says so.

And the team and us fans will never know for sure if Barkley was a fluke or not.

If Barkely starts and does great, then there is no down side. If he starts and flops, then we have Allen and we put him in next time. The only down side this way is that Allen loses a game of practice.

If Allen starts and does great it will be the first time, and it will be great. But it is unlikely. And if he starts and flops badly then you have all kinds of trouble. 

The decision is easy and as usual with the QB spot  the coaching staff  made the wrong one.

nope

This isnt Barkleys team its Allens and that it.  Nothing else matters.

Mannings rookie season was awful and I think Indy made out ok.

If youre right so much and they are wrong why are theyin their positions and youre on some fan message board.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

As I said before, the people who are clamoring for Barkly to start are people who have already declared Allen is a bust.  They want to see if Barkly can be our starter, or if we'll have to draft another QB.  To them any more time given to Allen is a waste.  Don't believe me?  Go re-read the thread and you'll see it time and again.

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t understand this logic.  He’s not old. If he works, he works.  I think he deserves another start after his last game.  If he bombs, then okay.  But I agree that he should start until he proves he’s still the Matt Barkley of old.  

To bench the QB that led the best offensive performance of McDermott’s career doesn’t make complete sense to me.  

I get what we put into Allen and want him to become, but it Barkley can keep doing what he did, what’s the problem?  Again, until he doesn’t.  

Because not one of you guys who say this can answer why Barkley has been a career back up.  You think hes all the sudden going to be a franchise QB? Give me a break.  Allen may workout he maynot...but this is exactly the kind of thinking with Barkley that has got us no where....a career back up comes in plays a decent game against a bad team and now people think hes the savior.  

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

As I said before, the people who are clamoring for Barkly to start are people who have already declared Allen is a bust.  They want to see if Barkly can be our starter, or if we'll have to draft another QB.  To them any more time given to Allen is a waste.  Don't believe me?  Go re-read the thread and you'll see it time and again.

This

12 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

Here is the problem with anything you say about this. You state " If Allen starts and does great it will be the first time." Here is some perspective for you.  Can I trust you were in Siberia when Allen went 15/22 68.8 1 0, and scored 2 rushing TDs for QB rating of 111.2 wk 3? I guess that fact didn't fit your narrative and therefore anything else you said only supports the same faulty narrative.

I will take the game Allen played in Minnesota. That was fine. But let’s just be real here. We are all obviously fans and most of us watch every play of every game. Sometimes more then once. There wasn’t a single good drive in that game. And most of those yards were on 2 ridiculously long plays. A blown coverage on the TD and Ivory running for 40 yds all alone. 1 scoring drive was because of a penalty that was through no fault of the offense. We were stopped there. And every other one was a short field from turnovers. That game was fine. I’ll take that Allen. The issue is most of the time Allen is the GB embarrassment. Or the back to back sub 90 yd games. You can’t have 2 out of every 3 games being terrible. I’ll give him Minnesota. That was fine. Nothing else has been close to acceptable. And last Sunday IMO was much more impressive then Minnesota. All of this is pointless. They are going to just start Allen. These guys are idiots. This is the same team that kept Nate Peterman until this week. Be the worst offense in modern day NFL history for 9 weeks. Score 41 points out of nowhere...bench the QB. I hope Allen plays great. I just have a hard time imagining it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Skins Malone said:

Because not one of you guys who say this can answer why Barkley has been a career back up.  You think hes all the sudden going to be a franchise QB? Give me a break.  Allen may workout he maynot...but this is exactly the kind of thinking with Barkley that has got us no where....a career back up comes in plays a decent game against a bad team and now people think hes the savior.  

This

This time with Barkley the clock will never strike 12 and the carriage will not turn into a pumpkin. ;)

4 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

This is a weakness for McDermott that shows up repeatedly. 

He should start Barkely because the Bills kicked butt behind Barkely. It is that simple.

Barkely should be able to prove it was either a fluke, or not. The team deserves that.

Instead they will start Allen for no other reason other than they drafted him.

How is the team supposed to be positive and stoked when they know they finally had a tremendous victory and in response the coaches pulled the starting QB?

What if Allen does the most likely thing, and struggles? What if it is so bad they have to pull him? Then he is behind the 8 ball if you ask me. They are risking that for no good enough reason.

This staff paints themselves into corners where the only possible non-disaster outcome is that their plan goes exactly the way they envision.

So lets hope Allen does great because if he doesn't we will have a better playing QB sitting on the bench just because the coach says so.

And the team and us fans will never know for sure if Barkley was a fluke or not.

If Barkely starts and does great, then there is no down side. If he starts and flops, then we have Allen and we put him in next time. The only down side this way is that Allen loses a game of practice.

If Allen starts and does great it will be the first time, and it will be great. But it is unlikely. And if he starts and flops badly then you have all kinds of trouble. 

The decision is easy and as usual with the QB spot  the coaching staff  made the wrong one.

we probably will not see more games like that from barkley,as our opponents get film of him and his weak arm it will just mean more losses, and allens development stunted.

58 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'll believe it when I see Allen start practicing fully on Monday.  That report is from before Barkley's performance, so it's only relevant insofar as to say that Allen is pretty much healthy, or very close to it.

But if Allen is truly 100% ready to go and McDermott has no doubts that Allen would be starting a week from tomorrow, on Monday he would have just said "We thank Matt for filling in, Josh will be our starter after they bye week."

I want to see if Allen is still "limited" on Monday. If he is, him starting is very much in doubt.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'll believe it when I see Allen start practicing fully on Monday.  That report is from before Barkley's performance, so it's only relevant insofar as to say that Allen is pretty much healthy, or very close to it.

But if Allen is truly 100% ready to go and McDermott has no doubts that Allen would be starting a week from tomorrow, on Monday he would have just said "We thank Matt for filling in, Josh will be our starter after they bye week."

I want to see if Allen is still "limited" on Monday. If he is, him starting is very much in doubt.

McDermott on Allen being ruled out vs. NYK - I would say he was close. The signs started to present themselves that he wouldn't be able to go.

McDermott on Allen's injury - No setbacks. Just a natural progression of a player coming back from injury and we knew we had the bye coming up.

McDermott - I was around a situation in Philly years ago where AJ Feely came in and won some games for us, but when the starter was back, the starter played.

McDermott - Josh is our starter. He'll remain our starter, when healthy. Although I thought Matt did a great job, Josh is the starter.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

36 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I will take the game Allen played in Minnesota. That was fine. But let’s just be real here. We are all obviously fans and most of us watch every play of every game. Sometimes more then once. There wasn’t a single good drive in that game. And most of those yards were on 2 ridiculously long plays. A blown coverage on the TD and Ivory running for 40 yds all alone. 1 scoring drive was because of a penalty that was through no fault of the offense. We were stopped there. And every other one was a short field from turnovers. That game was fine. I’ll take that Allen. The issue is most of the time Allen is the GB embarrassment. Or the back to back sub 90 yd games. You can’t have 2 out of every 3 games being terrible. I’ll give him Minnesota. That was fine. Nothing else has been close to acceptable. And last Sunday IMO was much more impressive then Minnesota. All of this is pointless. They are going to just start Allen. These guys are idiots. This is the same team that kept Nate Peterman until this week. Be the worst offense in modern day NFL history for 9 weeks. Score 41 points out of nowhere...bench the QB. I hope Allen plays great. I just have a hard time imagining it.

What back to back 80 yd games he had 1. Unless you're including the Texans game where he left with most of a half left in the game at 84 yards just as he was starting to throw it more. Seriously you talk about Barkley and reference his High School performance come on. I take more from his playing for 6 teams in 5 years in the NFL than I would from his play in High School or College.

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think you're putting too much emphasis on McDermott saying when healthy. It seems like the only reason Allen didn't start against the Jets was that they wanted to be certain he was 100% and not take the chance. Two weeks later I doubt that'll be the case. If you're saying McDermott is just going to use it as an excuse I'd hope he has enough respect for people's intelligence to not think anyone is going to buy that.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott on Allen being ruled out vs. NYK - I would say he was close. The signs started to present themselves that he wouldn't be able to go.

McDermott on Allen's injury - No setbacks. Just a natural progression of a player coming back from injury and we knew we had the bye coming up.

McDermott - I was around a situation in Philly years ago where AJ Feely came in and won some games for us, but when the starter was back, the starter played.

McDermott - Josh is our starter. He'll remain our starter, when healthy. Although I thought Matt did a great job, Josh is the starter.

What did McDermott say immediately after the Saints game last year?

What happened the very next day?

What did McDermott say about his confidence in Peterman on Monday?

What happened hours later?

I like McDermott. I don't trust what he says at all, and I don't know why you would.

Actions speak louder than words, especially with this Head Coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What did McDermott say immediately after the Saints game last year?

What happened the very next day?

What did McDermott say about his confidence in Peterman on Monday?

What happened hours later?

I like McDermott. I don't trust what he says at all, and I don't know why you would.

Actions speak louder than words, especially with this Head Coach.

None of Taylor, Peterman, or Barkley were top ten 1st round picks with a major investment that cost them draft capital.  This is a whole different deal and if you think Barkley means anything to them beyond a potential backup, then you are seeing their long term vision.  You're trying way too hard. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz