Barkley should start and lose or keep the job. Nuance, emotion, morale are important.

I agree with the OP. The only thing that is different is Allen is our starting QB. Barkley should be signed an extension for the backup spot. The guy is basically a coach. He’s very smart with great character. Such a nerd when it comes to film. Would love to see him be the groomer for Allen in his career. 

I can’t wrap my head around anybody thinking Barkley is a waste of time. What if he just was good? Good enough to let us be good? What if Barkley just matched up well with this system and Dabol? The light comes on at different times for guys and last Sunday was the closest thing we have seen to real passing in a very long time. There is no reason to bench Barkley now. Make him show us last week was a fluke. If Barkley keeps playing well, then keep playing him. If he stinks. Put Allen in. 

Allen is not going anywhere. There is no rush here. We are going to get plenty of time to see him and he should have sat all this year anyway. Allen will probably never be good. He wasn’t good in college and has been terrible so far. If Barkley is good, that takes the pressure off of the Allen situation. If they somehow both end up being good, then we are in incredible shape. We could trade one of them, or better yet have 2 good QBs for a change. Play Barkley against Jacksonville. If he struggles, you just play Allen and never look back. If Barkley lights it up again, then see where it goes. Barkley isn’t 38 years old. If he ends up being a very good QB, we could potentially get 10 more years out of him. Im not saying he will end up being good, I just want to find out. Give Barkley at least 1 more start. This team was on pace to be the worst offense in NFL history. Barkley got 41 out of them. Only the Bills would be dumb enough to bench a guy after that. There is no harm in starting Barkley 1 more time. Allen isn’t ready yet anyway. Play Barkley until he sucks. We have plenty of time to learn about Allen. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I can’t wrap my head around anybody thinking Barkley is a waste of time. What if he just was good? Good enough to let us be good? What if Barkley just matched up well with this system and Dabol? The light comes on at different times for guys and last Sunday was the closest thing we have seen to real passing in a very long time. There is no reason to bench Barkley now. Make him show us last week was a fluke. If Barkley keeps playing well, then keep playing him. If he stinks. Put Allen in. 

Allen is not going anywhere. There is no rush here. We are going to get plenty of time to see him and he should have sat all this year anyway. Allen will probably never be good. He wasn’t good in college and has been terrible so far. If Barkley is good, that takes the pressure off of the Allen situation. If they somehow both end up being good, then we are in incredible shape. We could trade one of them, or better yet have 2 good QBs for a change. Play Barkley against Jacksonville. If he struggles, you just play Allen and never look back. If Barkley lights it up again, then see where it goes. Barkley isn’t 38 years old. If he ends up being a very good QB, we could potentially get 10 more years out of him. Im not saying he will end up being good, I just want to find out. Give Barkley at least 1 more start. This team was on pace to be the worst offense in NFL history. Barkley got 41 out of them. Only the Bills would be dumb enough to bench a guy after that. There is no harm in starting Barkley 1 more time. Allen isn’t ready yet anyway. Play Barkley until he sucks. We have plenty of time to learn about Allen. 

Clearly you're unbiased and impartial on this matter.

But you do have something in this situation, you have six meaningless games for Allen to start in and see how he develops. If you wait till next season then the games all matter again.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That's exactly what it would be and thank goodness the team is not going to waste that time.  Barkley is a backup. Period.  This is the time to get Allen invaluable experience to shorten his learning curve as the youth movement has begun in earnest with the team stiing at 3-7.  

Pure ego why McBeane dismisses Barkley, who did more things well in one game than Allen did in five games.

Get ready for more terribly bad offensive football for the rest of 2018.

It'll be that way for at least another year as well. McBeane will not admit they missed on Allen for quite awhile.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

In reading your post I can only assume that the most important thing to you is a win and that's what's driving your choice of Barkley.  It's a perfectly understandable point if your not thinking beyond 2018.

To me, the rest of 2018 is building for 2019 and 2019 and beyond is Josh Allen, his development is critical for the long term development of the franchise.

Matt Barkley is a slightly better version of Nate Peterman who better understands what he can and cannot execute on the field, but basically the same guy.  Acceptable back-up QB.

Thats why it's a no-brainer to start and play JA for the rest of the season.

Huh???

The season at this point is getting Allen experience and enough time under center to evaluate him as a player.  He showed flashes of being very promising.  If the next 6 weeks Allen looks good and Buffalo can win more than lose they are set up perfectly for next year.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Pure ego why McBeane dismisses Barkley, who did more things well in one game than Allen did in five games.

Get ready for more terribly bad offensive football for the rest of 2018.

It'll be that way for at least another year as well. McBeane will not admit they missed on Allen for quite awhile.

Omg just stop.  Then why isnt Barkley a starting QB in the league?  Allen is in his first year.  God you guys are moronic.  How about Allen in the Vikings game?  Yeah they are going to admit they missed on Allen during his first year lol.  How are the other rookie QBs doing? Yeah Rosen is lighting it up in Arizona lol.  You guys are ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

You have to read between the lines with posts like this.  Most of the people saying start Barkly are also people that have already decided Allen is a bust.  In their eyes starting Allen is pointless because he will never be our future QB.  And since he won't be, in their eyes it's about evaluating Barkly to see if he'll be our starter, or if we'll need to draft another QB.  Arguments about developing and/or evaluating Allen fall on deaf ears because they've already written him off.

That's why you have threads like this.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

You have to read between the lines with posts like this.  Most of the people saying start Barkly are also people that have already decided Allen is a bust.  In their eyes starting Allen is pointless because he will never be our future QB.  And since he won't be, in their eyes it's about evaluating Barkly to see if he'll be our starter, or if we'll need to draft another QB.  Arguments about developing and/or evaluating Allen fall on deaf ears because they've already written him off.

Yes. There are legions of ridiculous people in this fan base. Correct 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen's progress is the single most important factor in this team's future success or failure. If sitting him on the bench is the best way to help him, then fine, but Barkley is definitely not our future. He's had numerous chances to prove himself and wasn't even able to make the Bengals' roster as a backup. One good game does not erase all of that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

This is a weakness for McDermott that shows up repeatedly. 

He should start Barkely because the Bills kicked butt behind Barkely. It is that simple.

Barkely should be able to prove it was either a fluke, or not. The team deserves that.

Instead they will start Allen for no other reason other than they drafted him.

How is the team supposed to be positive and stoked when they know they finally had a tremendous victory and in response the coaches pulled the starting QB?

What if Allen does the most likely thing, and struggles? What if it is so bad they have to pull him? Then he is behind the 8 ball if you ask me. They are risking that for no good enough reason.

This staff paints themselves into corners where the only possible non-disaster outcome is that their plan goes exactly the way they envision.

So lets hope Allen does great because if he doesn't we will have a better playing QB sitting on the bench just because the coach says so.

And the team and us fans will never know for sure if Barkley was a fluke or not.

If Barkely starts and does great, then there is no down side. If he starts and flops, then we have Allen and we put him in next time. The only down side this way is that Allen loses a game of practice.

If Allen starts and does great it will be the first time, and it will be great. But it is unlikely. And if he starts and flops badly then you have all kinds of trouble. 

The decision is easy and as usual with the QB spot  the coaching staff  made the wrong one.

If you want mediocrity and constant "almost" .500 seasons then start Barkley; if you want to build a true contender stay on course!!! Why is this so hard to grasp by so many?

33 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Josh Allen's progress is the single most important factor in this team's future success or failure. If sitting him on the bench is the best way to help him, then fine, but Barkley is definitely not our future. He's had numerous chances to prove himself and wasn't even able to make the Bengals' roster as a backup. One good game does not erase all of that.

Common sense!!!

I don't think there is even a slim chance that McD could lose the locker room if he starts Josh over Barkley or lose morale or whatever. First, McD has held this team together through the benching of Tyrod last year and some stretches of blow-out loses. And this team is close and really has a team first mentality, with great leadership.

Second, the players know that their team is flawed this year and although they will prepare to win each and every one of the next 6 games, they know, at this point in the season, that the playoffs are pretty much out for them. They also see practice. They see the difference between Josh's arm and Barkley's/Peterman's arm. They know that their hopes moving forward are in Josh progressing and becoming a franchise QB. Why do you think Shady bonded so quickly with him? He sees Josh's potential, and therefore the potential for the team going forward. So, unless you're planning to retire this year (and you're not a guy that cares about the franchise after you're gone like Kyle), I would think the players want him to get that experience too, so next year they can be a much better team.

The players are aware of the same things we are, even though they look at the season one week/game at a time. They know the team was cap-strapped this year and has lots of money next year, and another draft. Most of these guys will either be here next season, or hope that they will be here next season. And all of those young players feel like they have a lot of career ahead of themselves, so they can easily take a view of getting better for next year. 

And Barkley has been here not quite 3 weeks yet, so there is no personal element for teammates wanting him to start, like there was for Tyrod last year or during the Flutie/Johnson debacle, where it divided the team. And yes, Matt played well, but that was just one game. The players know all too well that guys can have great days without being great players, sometimes the ball just bounces that way. Plus Barkley isn't either a promising young guy that hasn't gotten a shot yet or a QB who has already proven it in the league before. So that one game, might be just that one game. Where as Josh is a #7 overall pick with a cannon arm. If I were a player at this point in the season, I don't think I would have any issues with the coaches starting Josh over Matt.

So, unless the guy's on the team think Josh is a bust already (and I bet that number is zero who think so), I would surmise that they are just fine with the decision.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, The Red King said:

And it's why we had a 16 year playoff absence!

50 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Omg just stop.  Then why isnt Barkley a starting QB in the league?  Allen is in his first year.  God you guys are moronic.  How about Allen in the Vikings game?  Yeah they are going to admit they missed on Allen during his first year lol.  How are the other rookie QBs doing? Yeah Rosen is lighting it up in Arizona lol.  You guys are ridiculous.

Great post and very accurate Skins Malone!

Is this a disease that only Bills fans get - start the second string no matter who it is and what their skill set?

When Allen was second and Peterman mucking it up, the call was for Allen.  Now the call is for a journeyman with limited success.  Why bench the future, freeze his progress and make 2019 a higher risk to win.

The Bills are not making the play-offs and need to invest in the future now, not Sept 2019.