Derek Anderson must have really gotten walloped

Dan Darragh

8 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

What will be interesting about it? It will still be Allen,then Barkley. Are you referring to if they keep Anderson or not when he's ready?

..yup...won't carry three.....and Anderson would probably be happy happy to go back to the beach in one piece IMO............

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..yup...won't carry three.....and Anderson would probably be happy happy to go back to the beach in one piece IMO............

They might.  Allen claims he's learned quite a bit from Anderson.  I think they'll either keep him on the 53 or put him on IR. 

• Like (+1) 1

Unsure of the severity of Anderson’s concussion. I’ve thought since he went out, that it is a combination of him basically being done and retiring, and his concussion. 

Nobody can can say that lights are giving him headaches or that he hears ringing. This isn’t what he signed up for. He’s not leaving this roster without an injury settlement. 

And I am totally OK with that. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They might.  Allen claims he's learned quite a bit from Anderson.  I think they'll either keep him on the 53 or put him on IR. 

Most likely IR if they can. If they dont need him to play, it saves a roster spot and he can still spend time with Allen around the facility.

Concussions and brain injuries are never simple matters and can take lots if time to recover from. You dont know how many DA may have suffered over his career too

• Like (+1) 2

I figured aboit a week ago they would end up putting him on IR and get the roster spot back. Still lets him work with Allen, but with Barkley here now DA shouldn't be needed to see the field again.

It also allows him to get paid, which is a classy thing to do for a guy that's seemingly respected in the locker room and that they drug out of retirement.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

...IR may be a good call bud......could be a win win.......tutors Allen while getting his money from McBeane for doing him a favor.....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I don't remember a guy going as long in the concussion protocol as Derek Anderson has.  It doesn't matter from a football perspective for the Bills but I really feel for the guy.  He was happy playing Mr. Mom and came out of retirement for us.  Is he another Kevin Kolb?

Bills have been under the Cone of Silence on this one as far as I can tell except to say that he's "still in concussion protocol."

Well, he's not Kevin Kolb since he actually got on the field for us. But who knows if concussions have finally taken their toll. Hope he's ok.

6 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I don't remember a guy going as long in the concussion protocol as Derek Anderson has.  It doesn't matter from a football perspective for the Bills but I really feel for the guy. 

Isn't Clint Frazier still in CP?

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

won't carry three.....and Anderson would probably be happy happy to go back to the beach in one piece IMO............

We're only talking about 6 weeks for a non-playoff team and they say he mentors JA.  He's as good as anyone else to run the scout team at #3.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Shrug, its all super subjective and pseudo-science to clear people. All he has to do is answer a question wrong and he "fails." He has no incentive to want to come back quickly. 

If you were Anderson would you be in a hurry to play? He thought he was walking into a cush QB3/mentor spot. QB3s almost never play. 

The Bills were clearly in scramble mode at the position when they approached him, so not really sure how this job could ever have been presented as “cush?” I’ll agree that with any other team that’s probably right ?

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

If I had to guess, age probably plays a roll to some degree. I still can't figure out how he had a concussion from the Patriots game when he was never hit in the head, but whatever. 

Could have happened in warm ups, him and Peterman tossing the ball back and forth, and next thing......

Well you get the idea of what happened next!

Sorry couldn't resist.  And I'll admit I actually liked Peterman or at least didn't have the hatred of many here.

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

If I had to guess, age probably plays a roll to some degree. I still can't figure out how he had a concussion from the Patriots game when he was never hit in the head, but whatever. 

You don't have to hit your head to suffer a concussion, a quick enough jerk or snap of the head back and forth can cause a head injury.

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How do you figure that when he can only be cleared by an independent neurologist?

NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee’s Concussion Protocol Overview - NFL Play Smart, Play Safe

checklist-june-2018-final1-791x1024.png

They typically do a baseline neurological check when they start with a team, and then have to be back to those tests thereafter.  It is a good policy, and the real fear from CTE is the lineman especially that knock heads on almost every play.

Not all concussions are th same.  I’m in the medical field and worked with neurologists.  There are no nefarious motives here.  I’m hopeful Barkley plays one more game against the Jags, and Anderson sits next to Allen for three hours showing reads, reading defenses etc. and then starts the last five games, and all next year so we have a full body of work on Allen.  Give him tons of tools for next year.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I can just see his protocol questioning ...

Mr. Anderson, how many fingers am I holding up ?

DA: Yellow

Mr.  Anderson, what kind of car do you drive ?

DA: Brussel Sprouts

Sorry, we're keeping you in protocol

Sorry, we're keeping you in the Matrix.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Indirectly, Peterman being so terrible might have caused this guy a serious head injury. There was no excuse for Peterman to be on this roster after week 1. Him being so useless caused us to throw in Anderson almost right away. I was happy Anderson was playing but it’s a shame for him. The guy was probably expecting to pretty much be a coach in a helmet and because of the ineptitude of our backup, he was forced into the lineup. If Peterman wasn’t even capable of playing, I don’t understand why he was on the roster. It’s over now but it definitely went on to long. Hopefully Anderson ends up being okay. A head injury can effect people in very different ways.

The overall mishandling of the QB position for the whole of the season necessitated keeping Peterman and using him as well.   There always should have been a fourth QB....and trading the third QB was an act of total stupidity.......would have been ok if there were even a guy on the practice squad.  So, then we were down to two guys....and the fiasco rolled out.  Not like we haven't lived this before....I remember Jeff Tuel starting a few years ago...undrafted free agent he...even Marrone, in his stuborness was smart enough to get off that train as fast as he could.  Mc D and Bean are culpable here....and showed rookie GM and Coach mistakes here.

22 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I don't remember a guy going as long in the concussion protocol as Derek Anderson has.  It doesn't matter from a football perspective for the Bills but I really feel for the guy.  He was happy playing Mr. Mom and came out of retirement for us.  Is he another Kevin Kolb?

Bills have been under the Cone of Silence on this one as far as I can tell except to say that he's "still in concussion protocol."

I understand it is part of the game and all, but the hit he took was pretty nasty and pretty ill-spirited considering it was garbage time. I don't think he expected it and that is a contributing factor. welcome back to the nfl.