Ed Oliver won't be a Buffalo Bill

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Major pettiness by the head coach.

If Major Applewhite applied the rule to all non-playing players (as has been reported), I have no problem with what he did.  The coats are designed for someone with shoulder pads (i.e. players playing in the game) and there are limited number of them.  If Applewhite did not apply the rule evenly, then I probably would agree with you.

P.S. I think you may have missed my play on words.

P.P.S. It did not help Oliver's cause to sit out for a game while "injured" but showing off before the game in a manner that would indicate that he is merely taking the day off.

Edited by Peter

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Throws a tantrum at his coach when he has to follow the rules like his teammates.

Spoiled princesses don't fit the Process

We're not going to draft defense with the pick anyways, so this discussion is MOOT...

They had better draft offense in Round 1 or some of us are going to be extremely angry... there is no justification for drafting defensive with that high of a pick. If they do, McDermott at least needs to go. We can't afford another former DC turned head coach shafting our offense for another 3 years... THE PRESENT AND FUTURE IN THE NFL IS OFFENSE, NOT DEFENSE.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

If we draft Ed Oliver I’ll eat my snow jacket. 

There is noooo frickin’ way McProcess wants that kind of attitude on our team. 

Jordan Philips was cut for getting into a fight with coaches in Miami. Bills claimed him right away

McDermont wants people who love football. To me, that is far more important. He can handle some attitudes

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I disagree only because this is a simple rule, as small as it may be.  But that is the culture of U of H which all players have to live with.  I don't know if Oliver has had behavioral problems in the past, but it's not a good look for him now.  Oliver seems like a brat, and if I were a pro scout I'd look deeper into this as well as his past if I'm contemplating spending a 1st round pick on him.

Ok GM Levy how did your teams do.

I wouldn't take a DT in the top 5 no matter how dominant they project to be. Elite DTs aren't an important piece. The Rams have the best DT in football and he is the last reason they are winning games. DT is also last on our list of needs IMO, or at least second last above safety. Oliver would be a luxury pick and we can't afford that.

I've come around to the idea that Greedy Williams would be a good pick because that would give us an absolutely shut down secondary. But I find it much more appealing to trade down and draft the best receiver available. Or if we stay put I guess Jonah Williams. I'm not a huge fan of o-line in the top 5 either but I'd like that better than Oliver.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're the reason why Brandon Beane drafts Josh Allen and says some stupid ***** like this guy is Buffalo after being here for all of 6 months 

He has been roundly criticized as an idiot. But you know mainstream media and this and that, you're definitely smarter than everyone.

He was wearing a coat. The coach is a joke. You can't wear a ***** team jacket on the sidelines? ***** that dude.

You're really going to go down the financial route when these schools rely on free labor?

No, I'm going down the common sense route. If I only need 90, why would I bring 100?

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:rolleyes: He's done plenty for the school both on and off the field: Ed Oliver Jersey : NCAA Houston Cougars College Football Jerseys Sale Official Store!

So what.  Get out there and play or move on to the performance camp and wait for the draft.

Probably won't be the last time in his life he will be selling jerseys........

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If the rule had a purpose then we could all agree. Having a rule for the sake of having a rule is ridiculous. Why not have a rule “everyone stand on your left foot the whole time?” Applewhite can walk over and discipline guys that are standing on both feet because “it’s a rule.” 

They are a major Division 1 football program. If they can afford to pay Major Applewhite $1.5M to coach this year they can afford enough coats for the players. 

The coats in questions were designed to fit over shoulder pads.  They are given to players that are dressed in equipment and playing. The other players,  including Oliver, all had team sweat shirt/hoodies, etc.   

Oliver is a star and apparently above certain rules?  I don’t know him but that is how he is perceived here. 

Even if th e rule is dumb, even if he did not know the rule, his reaction was very poor.  I would hope that most here would agree that sometimes in life we have to suck it up, even for something stupid.  

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Didn't we sign a DT a day or two after he flipped out on his coach? 

Yes, but we did not use a first round draft choice on him.  And Gase is a turd.

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I wouldn't take a DT in the top 5 no matter how dominant they project to be. Elite DTs aren't an important piece. The Rams have the best DT in football and he is the last reason they are winning games. DT is also last on our list of needs IMO, or at least second last above safety. Oliver would be a luxury pick and we can't afford that.

I've come around to the idea that Greedy Williams would be a good pick because that would give us an absolutely shut down secondary. But I find it much more appealing to trade down and draft the best receiver available. Or if we stay put I guess Jonah Williams. I'm not a huge fan of o-line in the top 5 either but I'd like that better than Oliver.

Five of our last six games are going to be against teams that are tanking, quitting and/or generally circling the drain.  I will be surprised if we don’t finish at least 7-9, which would probably put us out outside of the top 10 picks.  At that level, there will probably be O-linemen or receivers who represent good value.  And trading back is always an option.  

I could see a trade back in the first, along with a number of modest trade ups on day two or three.  I would be surprised if we draft more than 8 players.

14 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The coats in questions were designed to fit over shoulder pads.  They are given to players that are dressed in equipment and playing. The other players,  including Oliver, all had team sweat shirt/hoodies, etc.   

Oliver is a star and apparently above certain rules?  I don’t know him but that is how he is perceived here. 

Even if th e rule is dumb, even if he did not know the rule, his reaction was very poor.  I would hope that most here would agree that sometimes in life we have to suck it up, even for something stupid.  

I don’t think we are in agreement. I hold the adult making $1.5M to a higher standard than the 20 year-old. The rule is stupid and without any reason. There are PLENTY of coats to go around. I’m sure Oliver even has one.

Applewhite is butthurt that Oliver isn’t playing and protecting his draft status. That’s what anyone with sense would do. Applewhite should be the adult in the situation. There is no reason for a rule to try to “show who is in charge.” This incident won’t impact Oliver’s future. It certainly puts a negative spotlight on Applewhite though. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Jordan Philips was cut for getting into a fight with coaches in Miami. Bills claimed him right away

McDermont wants people who love football. To me, that is far more important. He can handle some attitudes

I think a guy who can’t play because of a knee injury but jumps up to catch passes pre-game isn’t a guy that “loves football”...get your ass out there and jump all you want. There’s a nice warm jacket for you in between each defensive series. 

5 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Check out what Louis Riddick, said about this incident.  As a past and future GM,  I take his word over anything put forth here.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25292575

Who  cares what he says. It's the coaches team,  he makes the rules. The way Oliver reacted I can't condon that behavior in any way. He should be suspended. 

Edited by westside

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're the reason why Brandon Beane drafts Josh Allen and says some stupid ***** like this guy is Buffalo after being here for all of 6 months 

He has been roundly criticized as an idiot. But you know mainstream media and this and that, you're definitely smarter than everyone.

He was wearing a coat. The coach is a joke. You can't wear a ***** team jacket on the sidelines? ***** that dude.

You're really going to go down the financial route when these schools rely on free labor?

I knew you would be here to dispense your great wisdom , just can't help yourself from saying stupidity. :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I think a guy who can’t play because of a knee injury but jumps up to catch passes pre-game isn’t a guy that “loves football”...get your ass out there and jump all you want. There’s a nice warm jacket for you in between each defensive series. 

Yeah. In the NFL.

He ain't getting paid in college.

Milk it for all it's worth.  You know the school is.

Honor is dead.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois