Ed Oliver won't be a Buffalo Bill

Reading between the lines is easy.  In the coaches presser he said something like "I tried to explain to Ed that it was a rule...", also it was stated that jackets had to be removed from several other players.  That all means that while it may indeed be a rule, it had not been explained to the point where the players knew it.  That is on the staff.  

Oliver reacted in a way that seemed a bit paranoid.  He is in his early 20s.  If this is the worst thing he has done....big whoop.

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Who comes it with such a ridiculously stupid rule? It's moronic and reflective of an archaic Woody Hayes era maniacal control. Whether the players are inactive or active there should be enough coats for the players. Even if there were not enough coats for everyone not everyone was wearing one so no active player was being deprived of a jacket. 

Where I have a different take from you is that whether the player is a marquee player or a scrub the coach has no business pulling the jacket off of the player in order to humiliate the player. The coach could have handled it differently like having an assistant approach the player or wait until half-time to discuss the issue. 

The issue here is common sense and good/reasonable judgment. The fool here is the coach who acted like a jackass to publicly assert his authority to embarrass a player. More often than not the issue goes beyond a nonsensical rule to the real issue of how a trivial problem becomes a bigger problem because of the way it was handled. 

Who would expect someone named major applewhite to be a good coach?

Is there anything else you'd expect from someone named major applewhite? This is as major applewhite as you can get lol.

Ed Oliver is playing on sundays. Applewhite isn't. He's a jealous bum. I feel bad for Oliver. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Who would expect someone named major applewhite to be a good coach?

Is there anything else you'd expect from someone named major applewhite? This is as major applewhite as you can get lol.

Ed Oliver is playing on sundays. Applewhite isn't. He's a jealous bum. I feel bad for Oliver. 

I don't care if Oliver is going to be the first pick in the draft or an end of the bench scrub. What's the point of this pointless rule? If a player is injured he is still part of the team. There should be enough coats for the players. This is a stupid rule that is used to make an injured player not feel part of the team and to induce the player to get beyond his injury and be active. 

In this case even if the rule is going to be enforced it still should have been handled with more discretion. How about waiting until the players were in the locker room at halftime and then address this issue in private. A coach who wanted to flex his muscle in public was challenged by a player who felt he was being unnecessarily slighted. His response was understandable, at least to me.   

Obviously, fans have come down on both sides of the jacket issue.  I find myself wondering about the history that we don't know.  Whether good or bad, there is one.  That would have far more bearing on the question of whether or not Ed Oliver could be a character risk as a high draft pick.  I'm not talking about off field issues, but his locker room presence and his coachability.

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't care if Oliver is going to be the first pick in the draft or an end of the bench scrub. What's the point of this pointless rule? If a player is injured he is still part of the team. There should be enough coats for the players. This is a stupid rule that is used to make an injured player not feel part of the team and to induce the player to get beyond his injury and be active. 

In this case even if the rule is going to be enforced it still should have been handled with more discretion. How about waiting until the players were in the locker room at halftime and then address this issue in private. A coach who wanted to flex his muscle in public was challenged by a player who felt he was being unnecessarily slighted. His response was understandable, at least to me.   

I don't disagree with anything you say here. Major applewhite has a job because of free labor. They all should have coats and wearing a team coat should cause no issues.

I could go on about major applewhite but I won't. Something about kissing cousins. 

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Who comes it with such a ridiculously stupid rule? It's moronic and reflective of an archaic Woody Hayes era maniacal control. Whether the players are inactive or active there should be enough coats for the players. Even if there were not enough coats for everyone not everyone was wearing one so no active player was being deprived of a jacket. 

Where I have a different take from you is that whether the player is a marquee player or a scrub the coach has no business pulling the jacket off of the player in order to humiliate the player. The coach could have handled it differently like having an assistant approach the player or wait until half-time to discuss the issue. 

The issue here is common sense and good/reasonable judgment. The fool here is the coach who acted like a jackass to publicly assert his authority to embarrass a player. More often than not the issue goes beyond a nonsensical rule to the real issue of how a trivial problem becomes a bigger problem because of the way it was handled. 

Then why have rules at all?  Everybody just do what ever you want.  Everyone challenges everything now.  

Those jackets are not just normal jackets - they are the ones made to go over players wearing equipment - how hard is it to understand?  

My wifes a teacher and the kids have changed.  It's because there's parents like you that say - is it really that big a deal that he was a few minutes late?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

Typical college coaches exerting their power over the powerless. Disgusting

Hope Oliver sits out the entire season.

You mean enforcing the rules. Sure just let everyone do what they want, or even better let certain people do what they want because they're "special", while making everyone else toe the line. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If there's a rule those jackets are for the guys playing in the game and working up a sweat on the field, I would imagine the players know that.

It might be that the coaches think he can play and he's trying to stay healthy, and the coaches are frustrated about that and taking it out how they can

It seems as though the coaches were petty (and why can't they just buy more of those jackets?), but the players tantrum was not a good look.

He kind of looks pudgy

Yup (at least that's what I've read). 

I don't understand the desire to let Oliver off the hook so quickly if he was not respecting the jacket thing, or say he's a star so he doesn't have to follow the rule, as some have implied.   Yes it sounds like the coach overreacted, but anyone with kids knows that sometimes you overreact when you're frustrated with the antics of immature kids.

And if Oliver is milking his injury it makes it that much easier to understand the coach's reaction.

If the rule had a purpose then we could all agree. Having a rule for the sake of having a rule is ridiculous. Why not have a rule “everyone stand on your left foot the whole time?” Applewhite can walk over and discipline guys that are standing on both feet because “it’s a rule.” 

They are a major Division 1 football program. If they can afford to pay Major Applewhite $1.5M to coach this year they can afford enough coats for the players. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Throws a tantrum at his coach when he has to follow the rules like his teammates.

Spoiled princesses don't fit the Process

Why do you care enough about this to start a thread? It's weird.

Not sure if mentioned here but i copied and pasted from the other Oliver thread what I posted yesterday. It’s not really about the coat:

i heard it being talked about today and apparently Oliver was sitting out due to injury but was running around on the field in warmups trying to make OBJ catches and twisting around on the “bad” knee, and applewhite didn’t like that. I guess the optics of it, and that he was healthy enough to do that then he could have played. Then applewhite physically tried to remove the coat, and that’s when Oliver really lost it. So bottom line is I think it was about more than the coat and this was just the culmination. I don’t think he will drop in the draft, regardless. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, KennyDavisEyes said:

My concern is that the coach says the team uses jackets to “keep cool.”

Yeah. Suggests to me that coach is a little unsettled by the incident, which does not surprise me. Verbal missteps are frequently indicative of an unexpressed psychological reality (or so Dr. Freud has said). 

Making a public display of stripping the jacket, especially in that venue, was predictably going to be interpreted by the player as a public humiliation. Some players are wired to cower and endure, some players not so much, and it's more a question of personality and not necessarily correlated in any way with ability. One of he tough parts of coaching is management of different and frequently strong personalities. Anybody who can't do that is not going to be successful. The "process" tent has to make lots of room for different personality types. This is not to say that buying in and intangibles are unimportant. They are of course very important. 

I hope Ed Oliver goes undrafted like Burfict so we can sign him up as an undrafted free agent. 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure if mentioned here but i copied and pasted from the other Oliver thread what I posted yesterday. It’s not really about the coat:

i heard it being talked about today and apparently Oliver was sitting out due to injury but was running around on the field in warmups trying to make OBJ catches and twisting around on the “bad” knee, and applewhite didn’t like that. I guess the optics of it, and that he was healthy enough to do that then he could have played. Then applewhite physically tried to remove the coat, and that’s when Oliver really lost it. So bottom line is I think it was about more than the coat and this was just the culmination. I don’t think he will drop in the draft, regardless. 

He should just withdraw now and it looks better for everyone. That’s what top 10 picks do (especially on average teams).