Ed Oliver won't be a Buffalo Bill

Did the coach really have to take the jacket away from him?   The altercation seems like the result of something that's been brewing over the last few weeks.  Not a good look though and it's why I always keep a backup jacket in my trunk.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

So he’s not really hurt and doesn’t want to get hurt to jeopardize his draft status ? 

Coach is mad at that perhaps ? 

Nice leaping catches pregame 

It’s within the coach’s right to do that even if it’s petty.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Ed Oliver is one of the most likely Bills draft candidates if we draft top 10. He fits a natural need as Kyle Williams replacement. 

The coach is the one at fault, not helped by that interview, its a stupid rule and I can see why a player would react

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I think Ed Oliver is one of the most likely Bills draft candidates if we draft top 10. He fits a natural need as Kyle Williams replacement. 

The coach is the one at fault, not helped by that interview, its a stupid rule and I can see why a player would react

It's not about the rule...

Besides, the inactive players have other hoodies and stuff to wear.

It's about his attitude and reaction. 

I wonder what other things we may hear leading up to the draft....

• Like (+1) 5

46 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Seems like a bad look for both guys. Obviously Oliver wayyy overreacted here but it also seems like a dumb rule that only active players are allowed to stay warm lol.

Well if there are only a certain number of the jackets, then it makes sense. I'm sure there's lots of other gear the inactive players can wear, but those are the jackets that go over the shoulder pads... that's the only thing a player that's actually playing can wear to keep warm. 

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Well if there are only a certain number of the jackets, then it makes sense. I'm sure there's lots of other gear the inactive players can wear, but those are the jackets that go over the shoulder pads... that's the only thing a player that's actually playing can wear to keep warm. 

That would just lead me to question why they can't afford a few more jackets lol. These programs are making boatloads of money every year and they supply players with all sorts of other types of apparel; seems weird that they'd skimp out on just one item.

• Like (+1) 4

It’s kind of presumptuous to think Oliver is spoiled when you really don’t know anything about him.

McProcess, who is not to be confused with “I don’t gag my players” Wrecks Ryan, will take Oliver if he’s available to them, and he will be handled. 

Nick Bosa will be injured somewhere, and Oliver will be an animal on the field.

Ripping a jacket off a player on national TV is a blantent attempt to start a problem when it was highly unnecessary. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Did the coach really have to take the jacket away from him?   The altercation seems like the result of something that's been brewing over the last few weeks.  Not a good look though and it's why I always keep a backup jacket in my trunk.

If there's a rule those jackets are for the guys playing in the game and working up a sweat on the field, I would imagine the players know that.

It might be that the coaches think he can play and he's trying to stay healthy, and the coaches are frustrated about that and taking it out how they can

It seems as though the coaches were petty (and why can't they just buy more of those jackets?), but the players tantrum was not a good look.

He kind of looks pudgy

Just now, George C said:

It’s kind of presumptuous to think Oliver is spoiled when you really don’t know anything about him.

McProcess, who is not to be confused with “I don’t gag my players” Wrecks Ryan, will take Oliver if he’s available to them, and he will be handled. 

Nick Bosa will be injured somewhere, and Oliver will be an animal on the field.

Ripping a jacket off a player on national TV is a blantent attempt to start a problem when it was highly unnecessary. 

Except it was necessary to take the jacket off Oliver.  Apparently it's a team rule, and part of the culture, that you don't wear the jacket if you're not playing in the game.  Oliver clearly thinks he's special.  If he can't deal with a simple jacket rule, he's probably not going to deal well with the Process McD has here.  Oliver seems to be a problem in the making.

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

That would just lead me to question why they can't afford a few more jackets lol. These programs are making boatloads of money every year and they supply players with all sorts of other types of apparel; seems weird that they'd skimp out on just one item.

Id venture the thought is they don’t feel the need to get oversized jackets for players not in pads and those guys likely have plenty of other options

applewhite probably shouldn’t have rolled up and pulled it off him without saying anything but given how it went down I’m guessing both sides were a bit frustrated with other things bubbling under the surface 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Except it was necessary to take the jacket off Oliver.  Apparently it's a team rule, and part of the culture, that you don't wear the jacket if you're not playing in the game.  Oliver clearly thinks he's special.  If he can't deal with a simple jacket rule, he's probably not going to deal well with the Process McD has here.  Oliver seems to be a problem in the making.

Classic example of making a mountain out of a molehill. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If there's a rule those jackets are for the guys playing in the game and working up a sweat on the field, I would imagine the players know that.

It might be that the coaches think he can play and he's trying to stay healthy, and the coaches are frustrated about that and taking it out how they can

He kind of looks pudgy

I have no reason to not believe the coach when he says it's a rule.  My guess (purely a guess) is that the players know and if an active player needed the coat, he would have asked Oliver and Oliver would have given it to him.

When imminent NFL prospects take games off, it doesn't bother me.  Getting hurt whilst playing for free is a risk I'd never take if I was looking at getting drafted.  Perhaps the coach thinks differently, but I have to think there's more to it.

Either way, I'd be tickled pink if the Bills could land this kid.

Looks like they've buried the hatchet:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25297575/ed-oliver-major-applewhite-houston-cougars-address-jacket-beef