Off-Season WR trade market

billsfan89

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think the Falcons would trade Julio. The Falcons offense is special because of Julio who will turn 30 next season which means he probably has 2-3 more elite years left. Ridley is good but they need Julio to compete in the short term. Matty Ice is turning 34 next year and their window to win with him isn't super wide so they can't afford to dump 2-3 years of elite receiver play for a draft pick and some cap space. Don't get me wrong I would love Julio but I just don't think it adds up. 

That would be insanity. Ryan to Jones is thier identity. But if McB  trades the farm AND pays the bucks?? Best. Whoever is in charge of the team / HC  / GM.. EVER

I'll tank for him. I'll tank and tank and bring back Peterman if he's available for high picks.. I'll take back literally my entire rhetoric about this season 

It's no different than Whaley's EJ to Watkins gamble but we got to risk this for our offense. Whaley's didn't payoff but every GM has to pair their franchise Quarterback with a stud.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

Then draft a WR like Anthony Johnson of UB in round 2.

Please no. Johnson doesn’t have elite NFL-level athleticism.

Any team that takes him that high is going to regret it.

Edited by eanyills

Nice post op. 

I think we really have to revisit it after the season With Foster looking much improved out there and a potential legit deep threat,  Zay , who I've said all year is much improved in route running, catching and awareness and can be a legit #2 , possibly even a 1B option and McKenzie who looks lethal with the ball in his hands, yes it was one game, but we gotta see how these 3 young guys finish and if they can be contributors for the future. 

McBeane seem to like bigger, possession WR as well, which we'll be lacking,  I could see Sanu or Marvin Jones targeted. And/Or a 2nd-3rd rounder in the draft. Could also see him trade for a WR. I would have loved Cooper for example.

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Nice post...

Ive always liked Sanu  and his money for the next two years is not huge... 

Might be a good guy to get on board for a year or two whilst they try to develop some rookies ...

Suggest a mid Day 3 draft pick would do it as well..

I expect a 1st round or 2nd round draft pick to be our #1/#2 WRs.   We have to fix the offense in the draft. It is all going to depend on where we are going to draft...It looks like we are likely to be a 6-10 team (splitting the remaining three games...  games against Jets and Miami are winnable and possibly the game against Detroit and may be even the Jags), we should have a  8-12 position in the draft. 

7 hours ago, mrags said:

I believe Boyd from Cinci is a FA at the end of the year. I’d like to see them make a run at him. 

Then the dream of the team completely overpaying for Julio Jones as he won’t want to be back in Atl 

Boyd has one more year left

13 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Nice post...

Ive always liked Sanu  and his money for the next two years is not huge... 

Might be a good guy to get on board for a year or two whilst they try to develop some rookies ...

Suggest a mid Day 3 draft pick would do it as well..

I agree on a good post and thanks for the hw on the topic.  I would love Golden Tate and John Brown, as some younger guys on our squad are getting better.  Everyone knows Benjamin and not a minute too long.

The nice piece would be with these two additions, we could just completely shore up the OLine, and we don’t know on Kyle and Lorenzo.  Personally I wish they would stay just one more year as they are still high impact players.  With that said, another CB and LB would be nice, but even more depth on the offense is paramount.  We have the number one defense, and we can really shore up the offense with these investments.

For Kyle and Lorenzo’s sake, they deserve not a team backing into the playoffs, but a balanced dominant team to go deeper in the playoffs.  Those two certainly deserve it.  If Josh A after the remainder of this year, will determine whether we go for another QB in two years as a competition.  25 games is enough to evaluate a player.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:59 PM, Playoffs? said:

With our deficiencies at QB for the foreseeable near future, we need a true #1 WR, which we do not have on our roster. 

Gotta either draft big, spend big, or trade big..

... and if McBeane is hitching their wagon to Allen, they’d be crazy not to get us a marquis guy.

Agreed. This has to, and will be, addressed in the offseason if they hope to invest in their job security, and provide Allen the best opportunities to succeed. In all honesty, as with the OL, our receiver corps (including TE) would likely need two upgrades this offseason at least. Jones has been a highlight in an otherwise dismal corps - and hopefully Thompson, McKenzie, and Foster fill out our depth/speed needs throughout so we can go and address WR 1 and 2.

As for OP - looking at the FA pool, depending on what you want to bring in determines what would be the more likely scenario. There isn't a WR1 in the FA pool, there just isn't. Sanu isn't a #1 and will be kept on in ATL as Ryan's favorite when Julio is double teamed. Funchess would be the only other option "worth" the money we'd likely have to dish out for him. Any true WR1 obtained would likely come via trade.

While it would be good to have top experience in the receiver corps, I'm all for drafting a guy, or two - and let him develop along with Allen. My initial hopes are for Harry/Brown late in the first in a trade down scenario, or high in the 2nd if either is still there. We likely wouldn't do it, but I'd be okay going WR/WR or WR/TE with picks 2 and 3 and really building out a corps for the future. Outside of the ceiling that both Harry and Brown have, others like Collin Johnson would be great depth targets with size, hands, and great route running with a 3/4 pick if he's still there.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:42 AM, mrags said:

I believe Boyd from Cinci is a FA at the end of the year. I’d like to see them make a run at him. 

Then the dream of the team completely overpaying for Julio Jones as he won’t want to be back in Atl 

Boyd's signed through 2019 for cheap.  Perfect #2 for a big #1 in green.

On 11/17/2018 at 5:46 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I agree on a good post and thanks for the hw on the topic.  I would love Golden Tate and John Brown, as some younger guys on our squad are getting better.  Everyone knows Benjamin and not a minute too long.

The nice piece would be with these two additions, we could just completely shore up the OLine, and we don’t know on Kyle and Lorenzo.  Personally I wish they would stay just one more year as they are still high impact players.  With that said, another CB and LB would be nice, but even more depth on the offense is paramount.  We have the number one defense, and we can really shore up the offense with these investments.

For Kyle and Lorenzo’s sake, they deserve not a team backing into the playoffs, but a balanced dominant team to go deeper in the playoffs.  Those two certainly deserve it.  If Josh A after the remainder of this year, will determine whether we go for another QB in two years as a competition.  25 games is enough to evaluate a player.

Not a fan of this year being the year to address WR in FA/trade. Despite how much we need it addressed on our roster.

Tate wouldn't be worth the price tag he comes with. Detroit was willing to part with him for a reason seeing more upside in Golladay and Jones Jr, and he's now MIA on a struggling Eagles offense. But even though Wentz is an INT machine this year, Tate just isn't getting separation in his roles, even behind Jeffrey and Agholor. I'd prefer not to pay him that salary. John Brown would likely be the best "speed guy" in FA - small and quick, but don't we already have that with Thompson, McKenzie, and Foster? Not to mention he turned down our offer last year for the Ravens, so I doubt he has a change of heart. Only wildcard there is the Flacco injury. As for OP and Sanu - I love Sanu and he was always a stout WR2 everywhere he went. But was got him notoriety was playing behind AJ Green and Julio Jones - he's talented enough to win 1v1 battles most times, but needs that WR1 to demand coverage away from him in order to be successful. Would love him, but he would be a no-name addition well into the middle of next year without a true WR1.

Our best options honestly lie within a big trade to land our WR1, or by drafting WR late in the first or in the 2/3 rounds. Maybe even going crazy and drafting two or WR/TE within the first four rounds. 

6 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Not a fan of this year being the year to address WR in FA/trade. Despite how much we need it addressed on our roster.

Tate wouldn't be worth the price tag he comes with. Detroit was willing to part with him for a reason seeing more upside in Golladay and Jones Jr, and he's now MIA on a struggling Eagles offense. But even though Wentz is an INT machine this year, Tate just isn't getting separation in his roles, even behind Jeffrey and Agholor. I'd prefer not to pay him that salary. John Brown would likely be the best "speed guy" in FA - small and quick, but don't we already have that with Thompson, McKenzie, and Foster? Not to mention he turned down our offer last year for the Ravens, so I doubt he has a change of heart. Only wildcard there is the Flacco injury. As for OP and Sanu - I love Sanu and he was always a stout WR2 everywhere he went. But was got him notoriety was playing behind AJ Green and Julio Jones - he's talented enough to win 1v1 battles most times, but needs that WR1 to demand coverage away from him in order to be successful. Would love him, but he would be a no-name addition well into the middle of next year without a true WR1.

Our best options honestly lie within a big trade to land our WR1, or by drafting WR late in the first or in the 2/3 rounds. Maybe even going crazy and drafting two or WR/TE within the first four rounds. 

John Brown, or williams from LAC are probably the ideal ones to sign imo.  Adam Humphries could be interesting here.  Crowder and Enunwa always seem hurt, but they also look good when on the field.  

Mckenzie i do like as a gadget type player, and foster is barely above practice squad level as a player.  Thompsons 29 and on his third stint here.  He's a guy to help you during the season but won't get much of a contract offer, and won't ever be much of anything.

There will be cap casualties - and we have the cap to absorb bad deals and still get teams a pick.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

The free agent group for WRs this off-season isn't great but I'd like to see them go after a guy like Tyrell Williams or even Devin Funchess. I know that'd be them going back to the Carolina connection but GMs and HCs across the league bring in guys they're familiar with all the time. I also think Tyler Boyd would be a solid acquisition. And he may be available if Cincinnati chooses to focus more on John Ross as the #2 to AJ Green.

The other thing that factors in, is that the current FA list as it is now won't be the same when FA actually starts. Guys will work out deals with their current teams before March so the crop of players to choose from could become even smaller.

The more I think about it, the more I think they won't be able to acquire a "true number one" WR... and they may not even feel the need to. I think because of the way Daboll wants to run the offense, we could be looking at a "WR by committee" type of thing. I mean, that's how it is in New England where Daboll learned most of what he knows. Aside from Randy Moss, there's never been a real, big time #1 WR up there. They always rotate a cast of different players. One week it's the Gronk show, next week it's Edelman, week after that they're utilizing all their backs out of the backfield, etc. etc. If that's going to be the case, I would most definitely still like to see them go out and get an above average receiver in FA (or via trade). I'd like to see them spend a second or third on another young guy to develop, get a solid TE and a multipurpose back and there you go, you've got a rotating cast of skill players you can scheme things up for based on the opponent. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

The free agent group for WRs this off-season isn't great but I'd like to see them go after a guy like Tyrell Williams or even Devin Funchess. I know that'd be them going back to the Carolina connection but GMs and HCs across the league bring in guys they're familiar with all the time. I also think Tyler Boyd would be a solid acquisition. And he may be available if Cincinnati chooses to focus more on John Ross as the #2 to AJ Green.

The other thing that factors in, is that the current FA list as it is now won't be the same when FA actually starts. Guys will work out deals with their current teams before March so the crop of players to choose from could become even smaller.

The more I think about it, the more I think they won't be able to acquire a "true number one" WR... and they may not even feel the need to. I think because of the way Daboll wants to run the offense, we could be looking at a "WR by committee" type of thing. I mean, that's how it is in New England where Daboll learned most of what he knows. Aside from Randy Moss, there's never been a real, big time #1 WR up there. They always rotate a cast of different players. One week it's the Gronk show, next week it's Edelman, week after that they're utilizing all their backs out of the backfield, etc. etc. If that's going to be the case, I would most definitely still like to see them go out and get an above average receiver in FA (or via trade). I'd like to see them spend a second or third on another young guy to develop, get a solid TE and a multipurpose back and there you go, you've got a rotating cast of skill players you can scheme things up for based on the opponent. 

Unless Julio Jones become unexpectedly available there is no true WR1 that will be available via free agency or via trade, and there isn't likely a top dynamic WR prospect in the draft like when Julio, Calvin Johnson, or Sammy/Odell (say what you will about Sammy but he was thought of as a true WR1 prospect right out the gate.) I think a modern NFL offense needs a dynamic pass catching play maker to anchor a core of pass catchers. Having an Odell or Antonio Brown type opens up the offense by having a player that must be accounted for by your best corner and possibly double teams. 

There are a decent amount of WR2 type players that will be paid well. That's why I would want Sanders out of Denver, he isn't a WR1 but he is close and he is on the last year of his deal which makes the commitment much lower than a free agent. But I am not sure Denver would trade Sanders for a early to mid 4th (which is the most I would be willing to give up for him.) 

I think that Sanu if available would be a nice addition via trade that once again comes with a limited cap commitment as his salary in 2019 is reasonable and his deal is easy to get out of in 2020. Overall I think the trade market might be better than free agency where a ton of teams will be massively overpaying for receivers and tightends. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, dneveu said:

John Brown, or williams from LAC are probably the ideal ones to sign imo.  Adam Humphries could be interesting here.  Crowder and Enunwa always seem hurt, but they also look good when on the field.  

Mckenzie i do like as a gadget type player, and foster is barely above practice squad level as a player.  Thompsons 29 and on his third stint here.  He's a guy to help you during the season but won't get much of a contract offer, and won't ever be much of anything.

There will be cap casualties - and we have the cap to absorb bad deals and still get teams a pick.

Still think Brown won't eat where he S*** at the beginning of the season. And Williams wouldn't be terrible, but I just don't see much upside with him for the cost, his biggest games were against the browns and titans this year, and haven't seen much from him in the past - if he isn't really producing much with Rivers, what will he do here? Don't get tempted by Humphries, even with fitz/winston out of the conversation, the kid doesn't get much separation and when he does his hands are suspect. He's not much different than T WIlliams to be honest. 

The only one currently worth paying IMO is Funchess. Which would obviously be ideal for many people. I get that we'll have to spend in FA to bring people in, that's how it goes - my concerns are that none of these guys (save John Brown, Funchess) are worth their extensions much less a new contract for what it would take to get an NFL wide out off the market. My hopes are some of these guys sign for reasonable amounts, but the guys we need are going to cost us. I don't believe that just by necessarily having the cap space to absorb a bad deal, doesn't make a bad deal okay. It's still bad at the end of the day and it's money wasted on a talent we likely could've used on one of our million other holes in the roster.

I'd rather they spend that money on the OL in FA and address WR in the draft more so than FA.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Unless Julio Jones become unexpectedly available there is no true WR1 that will be available via free agency or via trade, and there isn't likely a top dynamic WR prospect in the draft like when Julio, Calvin Johnson, or Sammy/Odell (say what you will about Sammy but he was thought of as a true WR1 prospect right out the gate.) I think a modern NFL offense needs a dynamic pass catching play maker to anchor a core of pass catchers. Having an Odell or Antonio Brown type opens up the offense by having a player that must be accounted for by your best corner and possibly double teams. 

There are a decent amount of WR2 type players that will be paid well. That's why I would want Sanders out of Denver, he isn't a WR1 but he is close and he is on the last year of his deal which makes the commitment much lower than a free agent. But I am not sure Denver would trade Sanders for a early to mid 4th (which is the most I would be willing to give up for him.) 

I think that Sanu if available would be a nice addition via trade that once again comes with a limited cap commitment as his salary in 2019 is reasonable and his deal is easy to get out of in 2020. Overall I think the trade market might be better than free agency where a ton of teams will be massively overpaying for receivers and tightends. 

Nailed it - we won't land the WR talent we need in FA, and certainly not for the price we need, even with our cap space.

We can address WR2 in FA no problem - ideally Funchess, or John Brown but likely neither signs here. Trade will yield us the closest we can get to a WR1, but Sanu thrives in a WR2 role behind stout receivers like AJ Green and Julio. He won't standout amongst the rest on our current corps. I'd rather they try and bring in Funchess and overpay him for WR2 than Sanu in all honesty. But Sanders trade would make an immediate impact on the corps at the WR2 position. He is the closest to a WR1 but doesn't quite demand the coverage. Add in one or two picks at WR and/or TE with McKenzie, Foster, and Thompson filling out the roster as long as we have them, and you'll see the formations of a corps here.

Edited by ctk232

I could see Philly giving up on Nelson Agholor during his fifth year option year. 

I could see the Bengals putting AJ Green out there for sale. He is nearing the end of his contract and they may want to try and trade him before he leaves. 

Kenny Stills from Miami could be a target. he is being underutilized and could provide a deep threat option for Allen. 

I like some of the more under the radar free agents. Chris Conley, Adam Humphries, and Jamison Crowder. I really love Conley and he would be one of my first targets. He's a bit buried in KC and still has 4 TDs this year.  I would like to see what he could do when an offense focuses a bit more on him. 

We also have an opportunity to upgrade at tight end. I'm probably going after Maxx Williams, who is still very young and developing, or Baltimore's other tight end, Nick Boyle. I don't think they try to bring back either guy. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1