Off-Season WR trade market

billsfan89

The free agent crop of WR's isn't stellar, Golden Tate, Devin Funchess, John Brown, and Tyrell Williams are pretty decent options and anyone of those players would represent an upgrade but I don't consider any of those players to be number one receivers. Although the team likely will sign one of those players the team likely needs more help at receiver. Who are some players that might be available via trade that you think the Bills should take a look at to bolster the WR core? 

I would love to see the Bills trade a mid round pick for Emmanuel Sanders, I am not sure a mid round pick would do it but if Denver goes full rebuild it might end up being a possibility. Sanders is a high end WR2 and his contract expires after 2019, it would be a good one year rental to sign Sanders and avoid having to overexpose a rookie WR year one. Adding Tate or Funchess via free agency and pairing them up with Sanders and having Zay be WR3 while drafting a rookie high to be depth and take over for Sanders in 2020 is an ideal scenario. Sanders has a high 12.4 million dollar cap hit for 2019 but then completely expires in 2020 so the commitment is limited.

Plan B on the trade block would be Mohammed Sanu. If Zay Jones finishes the year super strong maybe the need goes from needing a WR1 and WR2 to needing a WR1 and a WR3. Sanu would come in and fill the WR3 position. Sanu only makes 7.4 on the cap in 2019 and his deal comes with a limited cap hit in 2020 if the team has younger players developing behind him. 

Other possibilities include. 

Marvin Jones (I could see the Lions drafting heavy at WR and dumping Jones salary)

Will Fuller (Often injured and D.Thomas is there as the WR2, could see the Texans taking offers)

Kevin White (Might be cut but easily could be had for a 7th on the last year of his rookie contract)

M.Bryant (Oakland seems to be on a fire sale, not sure Bryant fits the process though even if he is a burner type the team could use)

Devante Parker (Fins clearly want to trade him not sure they would do so in the division, high price tag on his 5th year option too.)

Deshaun Jackson (Could Tampa just be going full youth movement if they move on from Winston, might make Jackson available)

Who are the receivers that you would want the Bills to target via trade?

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 3

I know this is way out there.  but I have a sneaking suspicion that McBeane make a big splash this off-season and trade for Julio Jones .. and give him the contract he has been positioning for the last couple of years with the Falcons

Again. this just a feeling..  meaning I have no sources 'deep within'....   found 'Nevergiveup'...  let alone met up with Dunkirk Dan..  

That is all

With our deficiencies at QB for the foreseeable near future, we need a true #1 WR, which we do not have on our roster. 

Gotta either draft big, spend big, or trade big..

... and if McBeane is hitching their wagon to Allen, they’d be crazy not to get us a marquis guy.

5 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

With our deficiencies at QB for the foreseeable near future, we need a true #1 WR, which we do not have on our roster. 

Gotta either draft big, spend big, or trade big..

... and if McBeane is hitching their wagon to Allen, they’d be crazy not to get us a marquis guy.

It's been so long since we had a true #1 WR.  Moulds, Reed. I don't consider Lee Evan's, Stevie Johnson or Sammy #1 caliber. We'll need a couple studs out of this draft to go with Zay. Maybe the kids at Oklahoma?

3 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

I know this is way out there.  but I have a sneaking suspicion that McBeane make a big splash this off-season and trade for Julio Jones .. and give him the contract he has been positioning for the last couple of years with the Falcons

Again. this just a feeling..  meaning I have no sources 'deep within'....   found 'Nevergiveup'...  let alone met up with Dunkirk Dan..  

That is all

I don't think the Falcons would trade Julio. The Falcons offense is special because of Julio who will turn 30 next season which means he probably has 2-3 more elite years left. Ridley is good but they need Julio to compete in the short term. Matty Ice is turning 34 next year and their window to win with him isn't super wide so they can't afford to dump 2-3 years of elite receiver play for a draft pick and some cap space. Don't get me wrong I would love Julio but I just don't think it adds up. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

That is all

Julio isn't that far out there IMO, there were lots of rumors just this past offseason.  With the rising star status of Ridley, I can see the possibility of the Falcons trading Julio to try and better the overall team with players or picks.  So I think its possible he might be available via trade next year, now what they would want and what Beane would be willing to trade and also pay Julio are a different ball game.

And regarding the OP...I think there is zero chance Houston will trade Fuller as he has tremendous chemistry with Watson and Thomas as winding down and here to try and help save the offense from dropping off with Fuller hurt.  I also would not want us to trade for him given he is so injury prone.

I personally think that if Miami didn't get so many injuries to WR just before the trade deadline, that Parker would have been dealt.  I have no idea if Beane and McD would have interest in him, but I do think he will be traded this offseason.  

Two dark horse elite WRs that may be available next year:  OBJ and Antonio Brown.  

• Giants are about to have a reality check and realize they need to go into full rebuilding mode and its a bad year to need a QB.  OBJ has made it clear he isnt happy and he is getting under the skin of management and the coaches.  Giants looking to the future may try and move the emotional diva in OBJ and grab assets to fuel the rebuild around Saquan.  Not to mention his enormous contract.  
  • Brown I think is less likely compared to OBJ, but its not all roses over there right now between AB and the team.  Steelers have done this before, moved on from a #1 WR in FA or Trade because they had some younger guys ready to cease the roll like when AB took over when Wallace left.  They now have JuJu and James Washington is a kid they want to get on the field more, plus they have 2 useful TEs and backs that can catch out of the backfield.  If Steelers get bounced from playoffs early this year, wonder if that starts a catalyst where AB is available.

Who knows, maybe there is a stud defensive prospect when we are on the clock in the draft one of those teams covet in the first, and trading our first (and likely something else) becomes an option for one of those guys.  Like I said, its a dark horse scenario, so not predicting this, but it also is in the realm of possibilities this off season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

It's been so long since we had a true #1 WR.  Moulds, Reed. I don't consider Lee Evan's, Stevie Johnson or Sammy #1 caliber. We'll need a couple studs out of this draft to go with Zay. Maybe the kids at Oklahoma?

Stevie was a borderline WR1 for a year or two. Stevie in 2010 put up 82 Receptions, 1000+ yards and 10 TD's when David Nelson and Donald Jones were the other WR's on the roster and Fitz was the QB. Dude was really legit for a few years. But I agree the team needs a dynamic receiver I think there are some good receivers out on the market but not a number 1. Zay I don't see as a player that can develop to a WR1, at best he could be a high end WR2. 

Ideally I would like to see Tate and Emmanuel Sanders join Zay as starters then the team drafts a WR in round 1 or 2 to add some depth and be inline to take over for the two vets in 2020 or beyond. Tate and Sanders would probably cost 25 million total but the limited commitment to Sanders whose 12.4 million expires makes me more willing to commit that amount to the position. They also have plenty of cap space to add those two players and make a big addition or two on the O-line while maybe being able to fit in a defensive player if they so desire without impacting the long term cap picture. 

• Like (+1) 2

Tyrell Williams, currently making $2,914,000.  Offer 5 years $45,000,000.00

Then draft a WR like Anthony Johnson of UB in round 2.

Zay continues to develop and and McKenzie looks quick and is a playmaker, Let's see how we develop

Foster.

Would love this group

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would like to see them stop. Releasing deonte Thompson and let him role as a number 3 on this team

but we need to draft talent

Why do you so happily settle for situations like rookie-zay-Thompson as our top 3 WRs?

im fine with Thompson as depth and maybe he surprises but why in the world would you make yourself count on that happening?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Julio isn't that far out there IMO, there were lots of rumors just this past offseason. 

Two dark horse elite WRs that may be available next year:  OBJ and Antonio Brown.  

I could definitely see Julio Jones or Antonio Brown getting traded.

The Bills aren't an ideal trade partner if they end up drafting top 10...........maybe a trade back in the first round and then swing a trade for one of them?

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Stevie was a borderline WR1 for a year or two. Stevie in 2010 put up 82 Receptions, 1000+ yards and 10 TD's when David Nelson and Donald Jones were the other WR's on the roster and Fitz was the QB. Dude was really legit for a few years. But I agree the team needs a dynamic receiver I think there are some good receivers out on the market but not a number 1. Zay I don't see as a player that can develop to a WR1, at best he could be a high end WR2. 

Ideally I would like to see Tate and Emmanuel Sanders join Zay as starters then the team drafts a WR in round 1 or 2 to add some depth and be inline to take over for the two vets in 2020 or beyond. Tate and Sanders would probably cost 25 million total but the limited commitment to Sanders whose 12.4 million expires makes me more willing to commit that amount to the position. They also have plenty of cap space to add those two players and make a big addition or two on the O-line while maybe being able to fit in a defensive player if they so desire without impacting the long term cap picture. 

Evans was better in ‘06 than Johnson ever was.  For what it’s worth.  Which isn’t much.

4 hours ago, Bills92 said:

That is all

I've thought about this possibly happening too. Atlanta has two other good receivers so could let him  got to use $$ elsewhere.

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Those 3 are all slot receivers none of whom can go deep. I don't know X's & O's that well but someone has to play the X the other the Y. not sure how that works with these 3.

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The free agent crop of WR's isn't stellar, Golden Tate, Devin Funchess, John Brown, and Tyrell Williams are pretty decent options and anyone of those players would represent an upgrade but I don't consider any of those players to be number one receivers. Although the team likely will sign one of those players the team likely needs more help at receiver. Who are some players that might be available via trade that you think the Bills should take a look at to bolster the WR core? 

I would love to see the Bills trade a mid round pick for Emmanuel Sanders, I am not sure a mid round pick would do it but if Denver goes full rebuild it might end up being a possibility. Sanders is a high end WR2 and his contract expires after 2019, it would be a good one year rental to sign Sanders and avoid having to overexpose a rookie WR year one. Adding Tate or Funchess via free agency and pairing them up with Sanders and having Zay be WR3 while drafting a rookie high to be depth and take over for Sanders in 2020 is an ideal scenario. Sanders has a high 12.4 million dollar cap hit for 2019 but then completely expires in 2020 so the commitment is limited.

Plan B on the trade block would be Mohammed Sanu. If Zay Jones finishes the year super strong maybe the need goes from needing a WR1 and WR2 to needing a WR1 and a WR3. Sanu would come in and fill the WR3 position. Sanu only makes 7.4 on the cap in 2019 and his deal comes with a limited cap hit in 2020 if the team has younger players developing behind him. 

Other possibilities include. 

Marvin Jones (I could see the Lions drafting heavy at WR and dumping Jones salary)

Will Fuller (Often injured and D.Thomas is there as the WR2, could see the Texans taking offers)

Kevin White (Might be cut but easily could be had for a 7th on the last year of his rookie contract)

M.Bryant (Oakland seems to be on a fire sale, not sure Bryant fits the process though even if he is a burner type the team could use)

Devante Parker (Fins clearly want to trade him not sure they would do so in the division, high price tag on his 5th year option too.)

Deshaun Jackson (Could Tampa just be going full youth movement if they move on from Winston, might make Jackson available)

Who are the receivers that you would want the Bills to target via trade?

Where’d this Devin Funchess guy play before? I think we’re gonna like him... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Where’d this Devin Funchess guy play before? I think we’re gonna like him... 

Too bad Greg Olsen is 33....... That would be a nice upgrade if this was 2011.