Is Adrian Peterson an anomaly or could Shady play at a high level in his 30s?

YoloinOhio

AP is rather quietly having a great year at age 33 with the Redskins. And their OL is a mess. Shady just turned 30... I know most of us are casting him aside after this year or next, but does he have a couple more years in him given what we are seeing from AP or is he just a freak?

He’s 33 years old and fifth in the league in rushing, with 604 yards, halfway through the 2018 season. No one older than 27 is within 100 yards of him. The closest 30-plus-year-old is Frank Gore with 438.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/08/adrian-peterson-comeback-washington

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

AP is rather quietly having a great year at age 33 with the Redskins. And their OL is a mess. Shady just turned 30... I know most of us are casting him aside after this year or next, but does he have a couple more years in him given what we are seeing from AP or is he just a freak?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/08/adrian-peterson-comeback-washington

In a Radio interview in DC AP said that the season off did help him. 

Dont know if we have that luxury 

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Shady looks a step slower this season, and his tendency to lose yardage even in his prime will only get worse as he continues to age.  

He looked speedy enough to me Sunday 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TroutDog said:

I’m not sure, to be honest. Not to hijack this thread, but I much prefer Ivory’s running style so it wouldn’t upset me if they let him go. 

With that being said, he did a better job of hitting the holes versus the Jests. 

He looked very fast and shifty. He attributed it to the offense having success through the air which gave him more room to run. Makes sense. 

Not sure if the stat is out there but I'd be interested to see how many runs Shady has been hit or had someone "pressuring" him behind the line of scrimmage this year verses the past couple years. It certainly seems to me that this number would be higher this season.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He looked very fast and shifty. He attributed it to the offense having success through the air which gave him more room to run. Makes sense. 

Absolutely agree. Generally speaking, though, when he tries to bounce it outside it typically ends up on negative yards and that drives me bonkers. 

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

Absolutely agree. Generally speaking, though, when he tries to bounce it outside it typically ends up on negative yards and that drives me bonkers. 

Agreed, I think he needs to be used mostly in the passing game or in space  (like Kamara in NOLA) and use Ivory up the middle. We didn’t have Ivory last week but he’s been pretty effective imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

Shady has taken nowhere near the pounding and injuries AP has over their careers. Two different types of backs. That being said, with a revamped O line I can see Shady continuing to produce at a high level for another 2 years.

Thats the point. He’s still elusive and has great vision. 

My wild guess is, when he truly starts ‘slowing down’ he’s going to be less elusive and start getting hit harder and hurt more.  Once his playing time starts falling of due to injury I expect the end is neigh. 

Right now now though he still rips off big gains, and makes professional defenders look foolish regularly. 

He aslo bulldozed his way into the EZ and had 27 touches last week.  Not bad in week 10

• Like (+1) 2

I have mentioned this before that there are some exceptions to the rule. Curtis Martin was the first guy I thought of. He ran for 1,600+ at 33 years old. Peterson is another. Emmitt Smith put up almost 1,000 yards at age 35. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Thats the point. He’s still elusive and has great vision. 

My wild guess is, when he truly starts ‘slowing down’ he’s going to be less elusive and start getting hit harder and hurt more.  Once his playing time starts falling of due to injury I expect the end is neigh. 

Right now now though he still rips off big gains, and makes professional defenders look foolish regularly. 

He aslo bulldozed his way into the EZ and had 27 touches last week.  Not bad in week 10

He also spin moved Jamal Adams out of his jock at the LOS. That was sweet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agreed, I think he needs to be used mostly in the passing game or in space  (like Kamara in NOLA) and use Ivory up the middle. We didn’t have Ivory last week but he’s been pretty effective imo. 

I absolutely love this combo, it’s like body blows then the quick jab.  I think it makes it hard on the defense.

Do they they need to brace for the batter in ram or be light on there feet and patient in their lanes. 

Love it when they are both out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Shady looks a step slower this season, and his tendency to lose yardage even in his prime will only get worse as he continues to age.  

I highly doubt he has longevity with the Bills. He could play through next season but that would be it for me. He's starting to dance to much at the LOS. I can also see us drafting a RB to compliment Murphy. We all love Shady but his clock is ticking.