12/11 Update with 2 Mock Drafts: Who the Bills have been scouting

DCOrange

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

Well now that those teams have filled those positions, why would they trade back up again?  

There will be new teams with new perceived needs this year, too.  Bet on it.  

The only question is how desperate the teams trading up will be, and hence how much of a premium you can get to trade back.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

There will be new teams with new perceived needs this year, too.  Bet on it.  

The only question is how desperate the teams trading up will be, and hence how much of a premium you can get to trade back.

I don't see this being the kind of draft where 10 teams trade up.   It's a deeper draft at OL/DT/DE/WR no need.   No real skill guys worth trading up for, no blue chip linemen worth going after.   As a draft goes this one has a couple of dynamite guys in Bosa and Oliver and then a bunch of solid A- players.     If we can move back that's fine, but I'd probably just stay put and take a corner to pair with Tre and then load up on offense with the other 9 picks. 

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I don't see this being the kind of draft where 10 teams trade up.   It's a deeper draft at OL/DT/DE/WR no need.   No real skill guys worth trading up for, no blue chip linemen worth going after.   As a draft goes this one has a couple of dynamite guys in Bosa and Oliver and then a bunch of solid A- players.     If we can move back that's fine, but I'd probably just stay put and take a corner to pair with Tre and then load up on offense with the other 9 picks. 

I'll give McD 1-2 picks for defense but everything else better be OL, WR, TE, RB.....

• 4 weeks later...

Matt Miller has updated his big board and positional rankings, and so I've gone through and updated everything. You can see it all at the link here: https://www.buffalorumblings.com/201...-4-round-bills

The Bills have seemingly expanded their WR scouting quite a bit since the last update, which is a welcome sight to see.

My post on BR includes updates at each position as well as two separate 4-round mocks of what the Bills might look to do based on who they've scouted so far. Is it realistic to expect them to have personally gone to games for every prospect that they draft? No, but these mocks should give an idea of the types of players I could see them going for based on who has been scouted so far.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have to assume they are going to make the O line a priority this off season.  It will be interesting to see if that's their main focus in free agency, or if they go for a stud T or G day 1 or 2 of the draft.  They have to know they need to protect their franchise QB.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I have to assume they are going to make the O line a priority this off season.  It will be interesting to see if that's their main focus in free agency, or if they go for a stud T or G day 1 or 2 of the draft.  They have to know they need to protect their franchise QB.

Yeah, the relative lack of scouting they’ve done on OLine so far is interesting to me but it could mean one of many things:

1. They’re locked in on a couple particular guys and don’t want to bother scouting the rest

2. They feel confident in their ability to scout OLine on film rather than in person

3. They plan to spend on OLine in free agency as their main way of addressing it

4. Least likely of the bunch...they actually feel good about the OLine and think the young guys will gel with another offseason together. 

25 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yeah, the relative lack of scouting they’ve done on OLine so far is interesting to me but it could mean one of many things:

1. They’re locked in on a couple particular guys and don’t want to bother scouting the rest

2. They feel confident in their ability to scout OLine on film rather than in person

3. They plan to spend on OLine in free agency as their main way of addressing it

4. Least likely of the bunch...they actually feel good about the OLine and think the young guys will gel with another offseason together. 

It can't be # 4, can it? I think Dawkins is Ok although his play has slipped a bit, and Teller shows some potential.  But they desperately need a C and another G, and a RT.

47 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

3 seems most likely to me. They want a couple plug and play vets on the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It can't be # 4, can it? I think Dawkins is Ok although his play has slipped a bit, and Teller shows some potential.  But they desperately need a C and another G, and a RT.

I would guess #3 is the most likely reasoning, and I hope to hell that it's not #4 lol.

Having said that though, as someone that has rooted for the Bucs on the side for most of my life, they were in sort of a similar situation the past couple years and as it turned out, #4 was what they went with. Their O-Line has been pathetic each of the past 4 or 5 years with basically all of their young guys except Ali Marpet underperforming, but the GM opted to make one splash signing (making Ryan Jensen the highest paid center in the NFL) and keep the rest the same, keeping faith that the young guys would ultimately gel. They have not, and Jensen has been horrible on top of that.