PFF Has Hughes Highest Rated

BeastMode54

Pass rusher in all of football. I know a lot of people take their metrics with a grain of salt, but even though the sacks havent been there as much, he's been a beast.

Best edge pass-rusher

Jerry Hughes, Buffalo Bills

Hughes has won 23.4 percent of his pass-rush snaps this season, getting home with a pressure on 20.5 percent of his total snaps. Both figures lead the league’s edge defenders.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-nfls-best-at-everything-top-performer-in-60-distinct-categories

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He's been all over the place this season.  The pass rush has been solid when Murphy was on the field, and decent even without him.

I think the team still needs to go out and get another premium pass rusher this offseason (along with a CB2), which would really set the stage for them to dominate.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, GG said:

Imagine how good he'd be if they started calling holding on him?

It's hard to believe how transparent the refs show their dislike for JH with these non-calls you speak of. Missed calls happen all over the league but Jerry seems to get nada out of at least 3 blatant "he's literally holding him in place by his jersey" situations every game :)

Now given, Jerry has earned some of that bad rep with refs....but still wow

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Thought the the same about Bruce.   All good DEs are held.

Of course they're held and every once in a while, the refs call holding to keep the OLs honest.  I recall that Bruce was good for at least one holding call per game.  Not so with Hughes.

• Like (+1) 1

Still can't believe the amazing trade we got for Kelvin Shepard.  I remember reading Gregg Rosenthal's article that said  "Hughes was drafted in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Colts to be an edge pass rusher; he was one of former general manager Bill Polian's worst picks in Indianapolis." Freakin' NFL reporters/clowns.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Hughes is definitely earning his money, he's always been good, but this year he's been very good.  Really cut down on the stupid penalties too.    

That was the only knock I had on him. He'd get over emotional and draw flags. This year he's really been channelling the emotion positively.

• Like (+1) 1

Imagine if we add another DT or DE with a top 5 pick (I can't see value at any other position in the top 5, and I'd be fine with trading down, so this is only if we stay top 5). 

Lawson has also been doing a great job opposite Hughes this season.   Great DE improvement.  D could be even better next year with Milano being a 3rd year, and Edmunds coming on. 

4 hours ago, GG said:

Imagine how good he'd be if they started calling holding on him?

I think you mean holding against him but i know what you mean...sometimes it looks like he is being held on every pass rush in a series.

Best thing is he is extremely durable...don't think i ever remember him missing a game let alone very many snaps.

31 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Additionally, he is in our cap next year.

We don't have to spend FA dollars just to keep or replace him for one more season.

smart thing to do would be to extend him this off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Thought the the same about Bruce.   All good DEs are held.

Holding just isn't called anymore in the NFL.  The refs just ignore it unless its beyond blatant. Changes the whole way NFL games develop.  The league wants scoring & passing so what better way to encourage that.

• Like (+1) 1