GoFundMe Campaign for Homeless Man a lie/fraud

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I heard about this driving home.  It sounded like they might not have even been caught if they didn’t argue themselves over who got what.  Scumbags!

53 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

These dickheads should be subject to public flogging. All 3 of them. I'd be curious to know where the 400K ends up. Probably "administrative costs"

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I heard about that one a couple months ago, but the homeless guy being in on the scam is a new wrinkle.  Sounds like the idiots already blew the dough.

btw, anyone who has 67,000 texts to review should be shot immediately.

If you read the cnn link an extra wrinkle is that the homeless guy may have been in on a similar scam in 2012.

Looks like douche-baggery all around. 

People suck. Except my peeps. And Bills fans...which are my peeps.

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

These dickheads should be subject to public flogging. All 3 of them. I'd be curious to know where the 400K ends up. Probably "administrative costs"

Oh no I think it’s quite ingenious. Those that should be publically flogged are those that gave them more than a penny. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Personally, I think GFM should stop accepting donations, once someone's requested limit is reached. The initial request from the couple was $10K. Once a limit is reached, the GFM site could suggest similar requests. 

I volunteer to be on the list of “similar requests “.  

I just like to live a life of volunteering, and I think it’s my obligation as a kind and giving (or taking) person. 

Having a bit of experience in organizing a wildly successful GoFundMe campaign I was really taken aback by the.sham these people executed. They should all get significant jail time.

i knew something was rotten when the stories started surfacing that the couple was refusing to give the homeless vet more money because he was going through it too quickly. I had GFM transfer all of the money directly to Darryl Talley as soon as the campaign ended and he decided to accept the fans' generosity. If I hadn't, not only would it have been unethical, but I would have had tax liability.

One of the best qualities about mankind is our willingness to lend a hand to someone that is down, even when we may have little ourselves. Anyone that would prey upon those sympathies is the lowest of the low.

I guess the moral of the story is: if you're going to give follow the lead of Bills fans. From Darryl to Dalton to the Chicago Bears charities we never misstep.

I remember back when it came out that they didn't give all the money to the "homeless" guy. They said he hadent gotten clean or some non sense. The couple was on good morning America or something, and I could tell they were off. This doesn't surprise me one bit that it was a scam. 

16 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

This is why I have not given a dollar to any GoFundMe account. Never know when someone(s) is trying to scam and with that it can be pretty easy

I have given but only when I really know the situation.................What I'd like is if they spell out why the money is really needed and how much.  Not "somebody died, so give some money" 

Or even in health situations.  The person has X in insurance, and Y in disability etc. income, but their expenses are Z, so that is why we are asking for money. 

17 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

This is why I have not given a dollar to any GoFundMe account. Never know when someone(s) is trying to scam and with that it can be pretty easy

Yeah, I can't really understand the mentality of handing money over to someone you never heard of before for some undefined purpose.

It's not like there is a shortage of worthy charities if you feel the need to donate.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Personally, I think GFM should stop accepting donations, once someone's requested limit is reached. The initial request from the couple was $10K. Once a limit is reached, the GFM site could suggest similar requests. 

This is a good idea.  GFM said they have a team that supposedly does a good job of making sure the requests are legit.  They said that 95% of them are.  

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

This is a good idea.  GFM said they have a team that supposedly does a good job of making sure the requests are legit.  They said that 95% of them are.  

82% of statistics are made up.