2019 Draft Big Board

On 11/15/2018 at 6:06 PM, J-Bo said:

Trade down, trade down, trade down.  Get picks to fill O-Line, WR's,  TE. Give Josh some tools to work with and address CB and same positions in free agency. D is already looking good...need to address offense!

You do have to have someone wanting to trade up, if you want to trade down.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:10 PM, PirateHookerMD said:

I thought this was an interesting look at how the draft is shaping up. Surely lots will change. You will notice there is almost no offensive talent near the top of the draft which is a bad year for us to be so needy. Also seems like we will see less trade-ups given lack of QB talent and elite studs. I don't see much worth tanking for, as we are not going to have pick 1 or 2. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/15/2019-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-nick-bosa-justin-herbert

There are some defensive players that will certainly be in play for trade ups depending on where we finish.  But lets keep in mind, the first round is ONLY one pick.  Many of the best players in the NFL on offense right now came in rounds 2 or later.  Its not imperative we get an offensive player in the first.  And just because a draft isnt top heavy in the first on offense doesn't mean there are some really nice prospects in rounds 2 and on.  Granted, there at this moment isnt an obvious elite offensive guy to target say in the top 8 outside maybe Jonah William who I think ends up being a top 10 pick by the time the draft gets here.  Also, mock drafts and draft big boards at this time of year never look the same come draft time with combine, workouts, interviews, rest of season, etc all play out.  

There are going to be some nice WR options in the 2nd if we dont take one in the first.  Same with the OL.  And if we end up in a spot where the best player on the board is clearly a defensive player where we could use a guy, then wouldnt surprise me to see them take the better player to help that D move into Elite status.  

Additionally, the lack of top heavy offensive talent I think will certainly push them to be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball in Free Agency too.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh, I’d bet anything that White gets offered a BIG 2nd contract by the Bills. These guys want to develop there own guys and grow with them. Tre may very well be the best CB in football this year. They aren’t just going to let that guy walk out the door. 

Tre does seem like a guy they'd want to keep, but it takes two to tango. If he wants to go somewhere else he'll go. They may offer him the world, doesn't mean he'll take it of course. That said, I think the bills will make him a market offer.

I guess I'm probably in the minority regarding next year because I don't want a bunch of free agents brought in on big contracts like clay was. Just get some fringe guys and continue to build through the draft.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

I was at the Ole Miss vs Vanderbilt game last night.  I wanted to get a look at AJ Brown.  He had a nice stat line, but I will be interested to see his combine/pro day workouts.  I watched him on every snap and I honestly would not take him before the late 2nd/3rd round.  Here is what I took away from the game.

Match ups

AJ Brown vs Randall Haynie (Redshirt Freshman 6'0 190)  - Brown had a bulk of his yards against two players Haynie was one of them.  Brown pretty much bullied Haynie the majority of the night when Haynie was matched up with him.

AJ Brown vs Donavan Sheffield (Senior 6'0 190) - while not as bad as Haynie, Brown did the rest of his major damage against Sheffield.

Here's the thing, Sheffield is not being regarded high as a pro prospect.  Haynie is as green as all get out.  Now to the matchup that really caught my attention and some other notes.

AJ Brown vs JoeJuan Williams (6'3 208 Jr) - Brown struggled mightily vs Williams.  Williams was able to stagger him at the line and I saw Brown get no separation against him, absolutely none.  Which brings me to my other notes.

Even when Haynie and Sheffield was 1 v 1 vs Brown, which was the majority of the night and I'm not sure why, but Brown looked slow in and out of his breaks.  I did not see an explosive player.  He reminds me a lot of Treadwell.  I'm not saying he will be that bad, but I was hyped to see AJ Brown and all the language surrounding him just did not fit.  I don't see an explosive athlete.  I did not like his route running either, and then there's the not separation issue.  I'll be interested to see how he times and works out early March, but what I saw last night I was not impressed.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:12 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh, I’d bet anything that White gets offered a BIG 2nd contract by the Bills. These guys want to develop there own guys and grow with them. Tre may very well be the best CB in football this year. They aren’t just going to let that guy walk out the door. 

Yep, and even though i personally am not for CB with the pick, I get the vibe that While would love to stay to keep the LSU tandem going if that happened.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:47 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I may be the only person on this board that wouldn’t hate it. CB2 is the biggest (and only) real hole at the present time on defense. It would give the Bills a chance to have an elite defense like the Seahawks were. At the moment, every important throw goes right at CB2.

In addition, the value will be there. He’s universally thought of as a top 5 pick. I would much rather take him there than the 23rd best player in the draft because he plays offense. 

Assuming that a trade trade down isn’t an option this wouldn’t be bad at all IMO. We can then go offense from there. This holds especially true if they nab a couple of FA starters on offense. I think that they have a chance to add 2 starting OL and potentially a rotational WR in FA. 

NYC Bill has just blown a gasket. He is working on the paperwork to have you committed for a psychiatric evaluation. If people with white jackets holding a straitjacket knock on your door you can be confident that Gotham Bill made the call. 

When all is said and done regardless of the position if you draft a talented player and he is a contributor you made a successful pick. A selection in the first round is only one pick. You can still add talent from the other rounds, free agency and trades. Milano was a fifth round pick who plays like a second round pick. Where you draft a player does not always reflect how he will play. Building a roster with talent is better than building a roster by addressing needs with less talented players.

Now that Zay Jones is coming around the two year drafting record for this regime is solid. If this quality of selections continue we should be optimistic about the future. Of course what tips the balance is hos Josh Allen develops. 

On 11/15/2018 at 5:03 PM, Augie said:

I would HATE to see them reach for an offensive player just because he’s on that side of the ball. I trust them to be smart enough to go for value. 

Agreed but I think the impact a lock down Olineman would be much greater than the impact a blue chip DL would make.  Our offense is bottom of the barrel but we already have the "#1 defense" (for whatever thats worth)

4 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Agreed but I think the impact a lock down Olineman would be much greater than the impact a blue chip DL would make.  Our offense is bottom of the barrel but we already have the "#1 defense" (for whatever thats worth)

I’m all for building both lines, then moving out from there. This draft is supposed to be very heavy in DLine talent, so that may affect what options we have. (We could also use a shut down corner.) I’m just saying if youre drafting at say #10, don’t take a guy you have as more of a mid to late first rounder because he’s an offensive player. Trade back or take a stud, but don’t reach. (I’m actually hoping we fill a couple OLine spots in FA.) 

5 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Doesn't seem to be a lot of bait for people to trade up for. Could be similar to the year the Dolphins traded up for Dion Jordon for peanuts. 

Yeah, you won’t get the premiums you would if it were a strong QB class. 

• Like (+1) 1