2019 Draft Big Board

We better not spend our 1st on a CB unless everything else is addressed in FA, which is damn near impossible. We're likely going to be picking in the top 10 which would make a CB selection when the defense isn't the problem even more stupid. 

15 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Another take, similar takeaway:

1. Ed Oliver, DL, Houston

2. Nick Bosa, EDGE, Ohio State

3. Quinnen Williams, DL, Alabama

4. Devin White, LB, LSU

5. Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama

6. Greedy Williams, CB, Lsu

7. Rashan Gary, DL, Michigan

8. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

9. Josh Allen, LB, Kentucky

10. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss

11. Jeffery Simmons, DL, Mississippi State

12. Raekwon Davis, DL, Alabama

13. Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, Clemson

14. Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson

15. Montez Sweat, EDGE, Mississippi State

16. Daniel Jones, QB, Duke

17. Dexter Lawrence, DL, Clemson

18. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

19. Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida

20. Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

21. Dre'mont Jones, DL, Ohio State

22. Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

23. N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State

24. Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama

25. Chase Winovich, EDGE, Michigan

26. Derrick Brown, DL, Auburn

27. Zach Allen, EDGE, Boston College

28. Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

29. Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma

30. Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson

31. Oshane Ximines, EDGE, Old Dominion

32. Jerry Tillery, DL, Notre Dame

This is a better list. No way would I make a list without Fant. TE would be a good position for the Bills. Our TE's are all players who changed positions. We need a true TE on offense more than anything.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I may be the only person on this board that wouldn’t hate it. CB2 is the biggest (and only) real hole at the present time on defense. It would give the Bills a chance to have an elite defense like the Seahawks were. At the moment, every important throw goes right at CB2. 

In addition, the value will be there. He’s universally thought of as a top 5 pick. I would much rather take him there than the 23rd best player in the draft because he plays offense. 

Assuming that a trade trade down isn’t an option this wouldn’t be bad at all IMO. We can then go offense from there. This holds especially true if they nab a couple of FA starters on offense. I think that they have a chance to add 2 starting OL and potentially a rotational WR in FA. 

I'm with you.  If Bills took him I'm cool with it.

My two wish list scenarios this offseason are as follows:

Sign Tyrell Williams

If drafting 5-10, Draft Greedy Williams.  

OR

If drafting 11 or later, Draft Noah Fant, hopefully trading down a few spots in doing so.  

17 hours ago, J-Bo said:

Trade down, trade down, trade down.  Get picks to fill O-Line, WR's,  TE. Give Josh some tools to work with and address CB and same positions in free agency. D is already looking good...need to address offense!

I agree that trade down is attractive.  However, if the talent levels are equal from 4 to 14 and there are no QB needy teams to overpay, a trade down may be difficult.

18 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I’ll take AJ or Marquise Brown at WR. Even better if we trade down to get him.

I think priority #1 this offseason NEEDS to be getting a #1 receiver in FA or draft for young QB to develop with- it must be done or else we are seriously hindering Allen’s growth imo.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I think priority #1 this offseason NEEDS to be getting a #1 receiver in FA or draft for young QB to develop with- it must be done or else we are seriously hindering Allen’s growth imo.

I think that we all agree with that. The problem is he may not be out there this year.  

6 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

My only concern with greedy is his second contract, don't know if it makes sense to pay two top guys in the secondary. The guys on defense to replace are Williams, alexander and murphy/Hughes with that pick. To get an olineman we will have to reach because there are so many teams with issues and young qb's.

Zona and the Jets scare me for that reason - within the context of drafting a top OL guy that is.

If Zona and/or Jersey end up winning the race to the bottom, it's likely one takes Jonah and the other Little. Which would make me more inclined for us to go BPA or trade down with the first overall. I agree, we'd have to pay two corners, but at least Greedy would be on contract for a few years before it has to happen, and hopefully we would make a few playoff runs during that time. We can also hope the contracts on the team look very different in the next 3-5 years, but Tre and likely Dawkins will demand the highest salary when the time comes - as will Edmunds and Allen depending on how they progress. With equal needs at WR and RB in the future, we'll need to start thinking where we want to spend the elite money, and where we can compete with roster guys on average contracts.

19 hours ago, mannc said:

With how weak our remaining schedule is, we’ll be picking in the 10-15 range and there should be a number of OL or WR prospects who make sense there.

And remember, this “big board” is not a projection of where these guys will be picked.  Offensive guys will get pushed up the board.  IMO, Herbert goes top 3; he’s by far the best QB prospect out there this year and he has great tools.

I agree with the Bills winning a few more games.  Probably will be picking around 10-12.  Not sure as low as 15.

Board will change a lot.

3 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Zona and the Jets scare me for that reason - within the context of drafting a top OL guy that is.

If Zona and/or Jersey end up winning the race to the bottom, it's likely one takes Jonah and the other Little. Which would make me more inclined for us to go BPA or trade down with the first overall. I agree, we'd have to pay two corners, but at least Greedy would be on contract for a few years before it has to happen, and hopefully we would make a few playoff runs during that time. We can also hope the contracts on the team look very different in the next 3-5 years, but Tre and likely Dawkins will demand the highest salary when the time comes - as will Edmunds and Allen depending on how they progress. With equal needs at WR and RB in the future, we'll need to start thinking where we want to spend the elite money, and where we can compete with roster guys on average contracts.

I'd guess we're going to spend money mostly where Carolina does, and I don't think that's WR/RB. I don't know the exact breakdown of their spending, but it seems like Kuechly (sp?) and Newton are cornerstones so I wouldn't be surprised if Allen/Edmunds are taken care of for sure. I think Car pays their o and d linemen too. They played hardball with Josh Norman a few years ago, so maybe Tre is here and maybe he isn't, these guys seem like they can manufacture db's so I don't know if they will be willing to pay Tre top dollar if that's what's required. The real test of the "culture" that is being built will be the desire for players to stay in Buffalo instead of running for more money. Not every player will be swayed by culture, but hopefully enough talent will stay to keep us competitive over the long haul.

Assuming, of course, that McBeane is still here to value them when their contracts come up.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'd guess we're going to spend money mostly where Carolina does, and I don't think that's WR/RB. I don't know the exact breakdown of their spending, but it seems like Kuechly (sp?) and Newton are cornerstones so I wouldn't be surprised if Allen/Edmunds are taken care of for sure. I think Car pays their o and d linemen too. They played hardball with Josh Norman a few years ago, so maybe Tre is here and maybe he isn't, these guys seem like they can manufacture db's so I don't know if they will be willing to pay Tre top dollar if that's what's required. The real test of the "culture" that is being built will be the desire for players to stay in Buffalo instead of running for more money. Not every player will be swayed by culture, but hopefully enough talent will stay to keep us competitive over the long haul.

Assuming, of course, that McBeane is still here to value them when their contracts come up.

Great points - and the parallels are certainly there for Carolina's progression. I think that the way the contracts and talent is trending for the next 2-3 years, barring any crazy FA signing that breaks the bank, Tre will likely be the first "elite talent" on the roster to come up for extension so I wonder if we have the added capital to argue paying him top dollar. But they've already demonstrated they're willing to pay their defensive line for players that fit a need (Star in the one-tech eating up millions and double teams).

The culture point is a great one, too. I do think it's something that's been lacking from Buffalo, and honestly every team that turns over coaches every two to three years. But you're right, let's hope McD actually does instill a culture that makes the top guys want to come back, and additionally advertises for others to sign and stay as well. I have more hope for players drafted in that regard under McD. I've always wondered how much of GB's attrition rate for drafted players is due to the culture established by championship history, or just by having a great contemporary culture making players want to stay. But none of this really matters until we prove we can field a competitive offense.

Edited by ctk232

10 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

My only concern with greedy is his second contract, don't know if it makes sense to pay two top guys in the secondary. The guys on defense to replace are Williams, alexander and murphy/Hughes with that pick. To get an olineman we will have to reach because there are so many teams with issues and young qb's.

I doubt there will be a 2nd contract given to neither Greedy nor White by the Bills. CB is one of the few positions where a player can step in an play like an All-Pro by the end of the mid-season of their rookie year. Given CB is one of the highest paid positions in the NFL, it makes more sense to just draft a replacement. 

10 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I doubt there will be a 2nd contract given to neither Greedy nor White by the Bills. CB is one of the few positions where a player can step in an play like an All-Pro by the end of the mid-season of their rookie year. Given CB is one of the highest paid positions in the NFL, it makes more sense to just draft a replacement. 

Oh, I’d bet anything that White gets offered a BIG 2nd contract by the Bills. These guys want to develop there own guys and grow with them. Tre may very well be the best CB in football this year. They aren’t just going to let that guy walk out the door. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/15/2018 at 3:10 PM, PirateHookerMD said:

I thought this was an interesting look at how the draft is shaping up. Surely lots will change. You will notice there is almost no offensive talent near the top of the draft which is a bad year for us to be so needy. Also seems like we will see less trade-ups given lack of QB talent and elite studs. I don't see much worth tanking for, as we are not going to have pick 1 or 2. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/15/2019-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-nick-bosa-justin-herbert

Man, the top 12 players all projected to be on the defensive side of the ball. It's like Sean McDermott's wettest dream!

Though we desperately need help on offense at nearly every position, I'd be SHOCKED if McDermott could pass up on all the defensive talent that'll be staring him in the face.

If we could somehow grab Nick Bosa I'd be thrilled. On another note, I'm not sure I believe the hype around Ed Oliver. He's good, but there are plenty of signs he's not nearly as great as some would have you believe. Comparisons to Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh & John Randle are greatly exaggerated IMO, and I don't think he'll be quite the star people are expecting.