John Wawrow: Struggles Aside, Bills GM Not Veering from Rebuilding Plan

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

They were a rebuilding team last year that made the playoffs primarily because of good coaching, a weak AFC, over achieving, and luck - not because they were a playoff team. You might think that is nuanced distinction; however, it is not.

Bills made the playoffs...therefore they were a playoff team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

Bills made the playoffs...therefore they were a playoff team.

Right. I'm sure, had they kept Tyrod and if they hadn't lost Wood and Incognito, They would be cruising right now to another 8-8, 9-7, "let's hope the tie-breakers go our way" season. Technically, they were a playoff team; however, IMHO, that team doesn't make the playoffs in most years (and we watched very similar teams fail the previous 17 years). I believe they were more lucky than good last year. I also believe that they will be a far better team in the net couple of years. Again, that is just my opinion. Cheers.

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Right. I'm sure, had they kept Tyrod and if they hadn't lost Wood and Incognito, They would be cruising right now to another 8-8, 9-7, "let's hope the tie-breakers go our way" season. Technically, they were a playoff team; however, IMHO, that team doesn't make the playoffs in most years (and we watched very similar teams fail the previous 17 years). I believe they were more lucky than good last year. I also believe that they will be a far better team in the net couple of years. Again, that is just my opinion. Cheers.

The fella you responded to was terse because he treated playoff team as a univocal term that can be reduced to a tautology. The sarcasm was implicit in the pithy expression. Your point understands playoff team to be an equivocal term. One can have a strong roster that can reliably expect to participate in the playoffs or one can be one of those teams that is marginal and lucks into a spot. A team that has a lot of talent isn't thinking about rebuilding. A team that lucks into a spot and really isn't very good should. The logic is not difficult to figure out, but some folks have an agenda and prefer snark to decency.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

Serious questions:

Has it ever been verified/confirmed that McDermott "hired" Beane and that McDermott is calling all of the shots with regard to roster/personnel?

I have seen that assertion a hundred times, but I've never seen it confirmed.  I've liked Beane since day one and I do believe in his approach ("The Process").

Is Beane, the GM, doing the things that most GMs do?  Or is McDermott pulling the strings?

I'm hoping someone provides me (us) with some sort of firm answers to these questions and not just speculation.

Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

Nevermind that we lost two starting o line.

mentioned that and he did little to nothing with a rookie qb a year QB and a backup QB on the roster at camp.. 

I mean what GM would be ok with that ?

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

In all seriousness what do you expect him to say?

"We know that Buffalo is not a desired place for the top free agents......so we are going to sign who will take our money and biuld through the draft"

Would ppl feel better if he said this?

I expect him to go out and get OL and a real Vet QB before anything had to be said

Seriously you going to defend Beane complete screw up with a rookie QB on the orster

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I prefer 9-7 to 4-12....but that's me. I prefer to win games than lose them

Just now, nucci said:

I prefer 9-7 to 4-12....but that's me. I prefer to win games than lose them

Ahhh...the old "if you disagree with me you are a loser and prefer to lose" argument.

You got me. I didn't finish high school because I thought a high school diploma, a college degree, and post graduate degrees would interfere with my plans to be a failure in life, I married the woman who was most likely to be unfaithful because I deserve to be cheated on, and I aborted all my children to eliminate the off-chance possibility they might be successful and a source of pride.

:thumbdown:

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Ahhh...the old "if you disagree with me you are a loser and prefer to lose" argument.

You got me. I didn't finish high school because I thought a high school diploma, a college degree, and post graduate degrees would interfere with my plans to be a failure in life, I married the woman who was most likely to be unfaithful because I deserve to be cheated on, and I aborted all my children to eliminate the off-chance possibility they might be successful and a source of pride.

:thumbdown:

What are you talking about? I just said we were a playoff team last year and I prefer 9-7 to 4-12....not sure where you're going with this. I'm just talking about football and that I disagree with many who think losing is better in the long term

Just now, nucci said:

What are you talking about? I just said we were a playoff team last year and I prefer 9-7 to 4-12....not sure where you're going with this. I'm just talking about football and that I disagree with many who think losing is better in the long term

That was my point. You were specifically responding to me and insinuating because I disagreed with you, that I think losing is better in the long term. I never said that or implied it. I always prefer winning to losing. If you were not insinuating that, then my apologies. I was simply saying that, IMO, there is a distinction between making the playoffs and being a playoff team, from a talent perspective. To me, there is a difference. It has nothing to do with my preference for winning. Cheers.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

That was my point. You were specifically responding to me and insinuating because I disagreed with you, that I think losing is better in the long term. I never said that or implied it. I always prefer winning to losing. If you were not insinuating that, then my apologies. I was simply saying that, IMO, there is a distinction between making the playoffs and being a playoff team, from a talent perspective. To me, there is a difference. It has nothing to do with my preference for winning. Cheers.

it wasn't my intention to insult you. Sorry if you took it that way

57 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

mentioned that and he did little to nothing with a rookie qb a year QB and a backup QB on the roster at camp.. 

I mean what GM would be ok with that ?

I expect him to go out and get OL and a real Vet QB before anything had to be said

Seriously you going to defend Beane complete screw up with a rookie QB on the orster

So you expect rebiulding teams with huge dead cap to go out and continue to aquire players?

This does not seem like it was part of the plan......it looked like the plan this year was to bottom out......with 10 picks in the next draft and 90 million in cap space.....and draft a QB high?

This season was not meant to be a winning season....how hard is it to figure out?

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So you expect rebiulding teams with huge dead cap to go out and continue to aquire players?

This does not seem like it was part of the plan......it looked like the plan this year was to bottom out......with 10 picks in the next draft and 90 million in cap space.....and draft a QB high?

This season was not meant to be a winning season....how hard is it to figure out?

I expect a professional football team and a General Manager to never ever let that happen for any reason

Who mentioned anything about winning season. What I expect is an offense that actually belongs in the NFL 

Just now, ddaryl said:

I expect a professional football team and a General Manager to never ever let that happen for any reason

Who mentioned anything about winning season. What I expect is an offense that actually belongs in the NFL 

You expect NFL teams to not rebiuld?  Good luck with that.

Are you happier with the 7-9 and 8-8 seasons where we dont go to the playoffs but pick in the 20's?

They are not varying, nor should they be.  Successful organizations don't change their plan at the drop of a hat.  They have a multiyear plan, and they need to see if it succeeds.  If it does then they're heroes, if not they lose their jobs.  As it should be.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You expect NFL teams to not rebiuld?  Good luck with that.

Are you happier with the 7-9 and 8-8 seasons where we dont go to the playoffs but pick in the 20's?

Yes. I'm a lot happier with those seasons than the garbage we've seen this year, that may not actually result in better offensive play unless Josh Allen improves by leaps and bounds.

You're assuming it will all be worth it and Josh Allen will work out. The odds are that probably won't happen, and this season will just be the worst season in 20 years for no good reason. 

I exect a professional organization to field an Offense an do do what it takes to groom a rookie QB into the NFL which includes a reaql established vet.. And to field an OL that doesn't get our RB and QB destroyed in the process

I'm sick and tired of it 9-7 -3-13- 8-8 - 4-12s.....

but no team in their right mind fields this offense on purpose 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Yes. I'm a lot happier with those seasons than the garbage we've seen this year, that may not actually result in better offensive play unless Josh Allen improves by leaps and bounds.

You're assuming it will all be worth it and Josh Allen will work out. The odds are that probably won't happen, and this season will just be the worst season in 20 years for no good reason. 

Figures you're one of those "muh winz" cronies. News flash: 7-9 every year is a BAD thing.