John Wawrow: Struggles Aside, Bills GM Not Veering from Rebuilding Plan

26CornerBlitz

First, I don’t see anything wrong with this thread (save the pouting contained herein). 

I love what they’re doing: develop a solid plan and execute it while still being nimble enough to pick up needed parts along the way. 

Next year ear will be fun and beyond that should be an absolute blast!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Seriously, another rebuilding thread?   

Call me a troll if you wish 26 there are dozens of these threads 

I would argue that (1) most of the rebuild threads are posters giving their 2 cents, whereas this is a link to an article and (2) Wawrow is far and away the single best beat writer for the Bills. It's simply a really bad idea to bury his story in one of eight threads started by someone who is convinced every incomplete pass means the Bills need to gut OBD, fire everyone and chase the Pegulas out of town.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — With little money to spend and few impact players interested in signing with the Bills given the uncertainty at quarterback this past offseason, general manager Brandon Beane understood Buffalo’s offense was going to struggle.

Little did he realize how much.

“There’s nobody that goes into a season and looks for either side of the ball to have a down year and to be statistically where our offense is,” Beane told The Associated Press during a wide-ranging interview before Buffalo entered its bye week.

He then recalled something former coach John Fox once said when the two worked together in Carolina.

“There’s nobody going to rescue you in-season,” said Beane, in his second year in Buffalo. “You’ve got to dig out of it yourself. And all you can do is put your head down and keep working.”

Much of the heavy lifting will have to wait for the offseason when Buffalo is projected to be more than $90 million under the NFL’s salary cap, plus a current stockpile of 10 draft picks.

This is a big part of why Allen's performance over the next 6 games is so important.  Hopefully he plays well enough to remove that uncertainty so some decent FA WRs want to come here.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I would argue that (1) most of the rebuild threads are posters giving their 2 cents, whereas this is a link to an article and (2) Wawrow is far and away the single best beat writer for the Bills. It's simply a really bad idea to bury his story in one of eight threads started by someone who is convinced every incomplete pass means the Bills need to gut OBD, fire everyone and chase the Pegulas out of town.

IMHO, the most objective writer with the most reasonable takes on issues re the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Excellent article!  This is what many "rational" posters on this site have been saying.  Maybe this article will get some of the agitated posters off  the ledge.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Probably explains why this thread is barely two pages yet threads demanding firings and have “McBeane” or “McClappy” get to a dozen pages in an instant. 

• Haha (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

LABillzFan, this is the greatest post ever on TBD!!!!

5 minutes ago, dubs said:

Probably explains why this thread is barely two pages yet threads demanding firings and have “McBeane” or “McClappy” get to a dozen pages in an instant. 

15 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Excellent article!  This is what many "rational" posters on this site have been saying.  Maybe this article will get some of the agitated posters off  the ledge.

Thank you for starting this thread.

I want to think that but one of two thing - they love drama or they really are new to the NFL and don't get it!! Maybe both!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's easy to stick to the plan right now, when you can't sign any FAs or make any trades, what else is he supposed to say?  

But he and everyone else in that organization know they can't screw around this offseason with that FA money and those draft picks.  They have to put a good offense out there this next season or someone's getting fired. 

...agree Pops......the Plan is long term and instant gratification is "irrational exuberance".......with ten picks and FA bucks in the cookie jar, 2019 is definitely a defining moment and probably one of the most pivotal years for Bflo since the Polian era.......if we are in the SAME position next year at this time as we are now in, there could be some significant changes "in the wind"....stay tuned.....

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Seriously, another rebuilding thread?   

Call me a troll if you wish 26 there are dozens of these threads 

Brand new story.

plus I am pretty sure 26 ignores you, so you’re whining to no one.

Edited by JoPar_v2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

few impact players interested in signing with the Bills given the uncertainty at quarterback this past offseason, general manager Brandon Beane understood Buffalo’s offense was going to struggle.

We may have a little more money to spend, but unless Allen lights it up the last 6 games, "the uncertainty at quarterback" still holds true.  Premium offensive talent, if it comes at all, will come at a premium.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — With little money to spend and few impact players interested in signing with the Bills given the uncertainty at quarterback this past offseason, general manager Brandon Beane understood Buffalo’s offense was going to struggle.

Little did he realize how much.

“There’s nobody that goes into a season and looks for either side of the ball to have a down year and to be statistically where our offense is,” Beane told The Associated Press during a wide-ranging interview before Buffalo entered its bye week.

He then recalled something former coach John Fox once said when the two worked together in Carolina.

“There’s nobody going to rescue you in-season,” said Beane, in his second year in Buffalo. “You’ve got to dig out of it yourself. And all you can do is put your head down and keep working.”

Much of the heavy lifting will have to wait for the offseason when Buffalo is projected to be more than $90 million under the NFL’s salary cap, plus a current stockpile of 10 draft picks.

Another good read 26CornerBlitz, Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

We may have a little more money to spend, but unless Allen lights it up the last 6 games, "the uncertainty at quarterback" still holds true.  Premium offensive talent, if it comes at all, will come at a premium.

I'm not expecting him to light it up with what he has to work with.  I'm looking for more encouraging signs that the game is beginning to slow down for him by showing more pocket poise and better decision making along with throwing with more consistent mechanics, better timing, anticipation, accuracy, and touch.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not expecting him to light it up with what he has to work with.  I'm looking for more encouraging signs that the game is beginning to slow down for him by showing more pocket poise and better decision making along with throwing with more consistent mechanics, better timing, anticipation, accuracy, and touch.

That's cool.  But if you're a free agent WR and you have the chance to go to Atlanta or Seattle or New Orleans or San Diego and the money's + or - 10% are you gonna go to one of those teams or to the team that has a project that is "showing more pocket poise and better decision making along with throwing with more consistent mechanics, better timing, anticipation, accuracy, and touch."?

that was my point.

Beane is likely gonna have to do a great sales job, and overpay.

Edited by reddogblitz

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

...fair assessment......and unreasonable to think there are no "growing pains" even if picked at #7.....as Steve Young said, "more collegiate QB's fail versus succeed at the NFL level due to the speed and complexity of the game".....and in all fairness, who from this class so far is the creme rising to "the top"?.......

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

That's cool.  But if you're a free agent WR and you have the chance to go to Atlanta or Seattle or New Orleans or San Diego and the money's + or - 10% are you gonna go to one of those teams or to the team that has a project that is "showing more pocket poise and better decision making along with throwing with more consistent mechanics, better timing, anticipation, accuracy, and touch."?

that was my point.

Beane is gonna have to do a great sales job, and overpay.

I agree with that and in many instances he'll have to do just that as is often the case in UFA. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz