Race is behind the Peterman hatred and mocking by the national media

Miracle Bills

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Please. People compared both of them to Brett Favre.  Why can't Chad be a poor man's Steve McNair?  Why can't Johnny Football be compared to Tyrod Taylor? Why can't Josh Allen draw comparisons to Daunte Culpepper?  Why can't Russel Wilson's game be compared to Randall Cunningham??

Racism that's why.

Gold

Peterman could have spiked the ball on every snap and still had a higher QB rating that what he put up over his dubious 1 1/2 year career (truth). I'm still stunned that so many people rush to defend a guy who is statistically among the worst QBs to ever set foot on an NFL field.

As for the race issue, one of the things I love about sports is it is as close as you can come to a true meritocracy in this world. With a few well-publicized exceptions (e.g., Colin Kapernick) if you can play, you'll be on the field. If you can't,  you won't. Tyrod wasn't very good so we moved on. I'm a Virginia Tech guy so I was rooting for Tyrod as much an anyone. But, he wasn't/isn't going to get a team to the Super Bowl. Obviously, Nate was a complete disaster. So be it. He had his shot and failed. Such is life.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This I agree with BUT in defense of OBD, i dont think Peterman was ever Tyrod's "replacement", Tyrod's replacement was always going to be whoever they drafted and a vet picked up , AJM that  was just a backup/ temporary placeholder for the new guy.  Peterman  was another camp arm, imo but shockingly outperformed AJM in pre-season.   

agree 

1 hour ago, Miracle Bills said:

When Peterman replaced Taylor and threw 5 interceptions it was immediately turned into a race issue, and that was not Petermans fault. Writers all over American decided to make a 5th round quarterback the face of white privilege.  He replaced a black quarterback. Then he had a job and Kaepernick didn't. Even EJ Manuel piled on. This is very unfair to Peterman who was just trying to make a living. Everyone knows race is behind the mocking of him but but won't say it. There are tons of articles just like this one illustrating what I am talking about. Fifth round draft picks don't get this much publicity. They just don't. Unless someone has an agenda. Race had nothing to do with it. A rookie coach making a terrible decision after a bunch of terrible losses was behind the move.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/bills-quarterback-dilemma-clear-black-white-article-1.3645016

I am not saying Peterman is an NFL quarterback, but he does deserve a better shot.  And for all the people out there that say he is the worst quarterback ever. Here is a stat for you.

Alex Smith in his first 5 starts in the NFL threw 10 interceptions and no touchdowns. Worse than Peterman. People love to leave Alex Smith out of the conversation because it does not fit their narrative. This year he signed a 4 year 96 million dollar contract. Players can improve. If the Raiders or somebody else sign Peterman to their practice squad don't be surprised if he does what many former Bills did. Turn into an solid NFL player.

The world needs ditch diggers too.

Here's some nice perspective to illustrate just how bad of a QB Nathan Peterman is:

Aaron Rodgers could throw 1,240 CONSECUTIVE INTERCEPTIONS .... that's 1,240 passes in a row, with all of them being picked off ... and his touchdown-to-interception ratio would still be better than Nathan Peterman's.

Yes ... he's that bad.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Here's some nice perspective to illustrate just how bad of a QB Nathan Peterman is:

Aaron Rodgers could throw 1,240 CONSECUTIVE INTERCEPTIONS .... that's 1,240 passes in a row, with all of them being picked off ... and his touchdown-to-interception ratio would still be better than Nathan Peterman's.

Yes ... he's that bad.

Sure, but how many would Jameis Winston have to throw? Why didn't you compare him to Winston? Huh?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

Peterman could have spiked the ball on every snap and still had a higher QB rating that what he put up over his dubious 1 1/2 year career (truth). I'm still stunned that so many people rush to defend a guy who is statistically among the worst QBs to ever set foot on an NFL field.

As for the race issue, one of the things I love about sports is it is as close as you can come to a true meritocracy in this world. With a few well-publicized exceptions (e.g., Colin Kapernick) if you can play, you'll be on the field. If you can't,  you won't. Tyrod wasn't very good so we moved on. I'm a Virginia Tech guy so I was rooting for Tyrod as much an anyone. But, he wasn't/isn't going to get a team to the Super Bowl. Obviously, Nate was a complete disaster. So be it. He had his shot and failed. Such is life.

Well said.  The NFL is not like some little league team where your dad is the coach so you get to pitch.  These players are paid professionals that are the best of the best at their sport.  I rooted for Tyrod too.  I thought he was a stand-up guy who came to work every day and gave it his best.  But his game has some obvious limitations.  I think the problem with Kap is that he's just not that good vs. other options at the position when weighed against the drama that would come with him.

If you do a crappy job, you lose your job. He sucked and he lost his job. He deserves the mocking and such. If he didn't want to get mocked, he should have played better. Society has become very apologetic about stuff like this. He sucks so he needs to go bag groceries. You shouldn't feel any worse for him than you do for Gibran Hamdan, or Brian Brohm, or Levi Brown, or whatever other scrub quarterbacks we have seen around here. I'm sure Craig Nall was a nice guy too. But he sucked. No one was crying when he lost his job. 

The Alex Smith comparison is not a good one. he was the #1 pick in the draft with immense athletic upside. That's why he got a number of extra chances. Peterman was a 5th round pick with little to no athletic upside or talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

i sure cant wait for this stupid phase to pass.

As long as mass media operates as a pay per click and our country has reactionaries who scapegoat immigrants and carry torches, this phase will not pass. 

In simple terms, race is still an issue and money is made by exploiting it.