WHY is Allen really starting?

PUNT750

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If Allen isn't ready, starting him does nothing too.

He isnt going to be anymore ready by sitting on the bench. Just like anything in life you learn a lot more by doing than you do by watching no matter how closely you pay attention.

I don't understand the 180 we did from the beginning of the year clamoring for Allen to be put in bubble wrap so he doesn't get any of this offensive wreck goo on him. Developing bad habits and all.

I've always been of the position start the best Quarterback. THAT'S the real NFL experience for JA, nothing is handed to you and you gotta work for it. So if he's showing better than Barkley in practice then I"m all for him going in but if he's not and still getting handed the starting Quarterback keys he's not quite competing every day not just Sundays.. I want him to be Rodgers arrogant where he thinks he deserves the keys to the city (even behind a legend) and that gets lost when you realize you already have em cause you got picked high cause you had a big arm in college, and the backup next to you may be outperforming you with throws and reads you're failing at. NFL experience: step 1: EARN your job and be pissed off anybody ever thought you shouldn't have it step 2: show up every Sunday 

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think he will be ok and as far as drafting another goes, that needs to be done now. I'd take one as high as RD2. You don't mess around with QB and if you're McDermott, you're a fool if you go into next year with just Allen and Barkley. So long as Allen throws a 2:1 TD:INT ratio I'd leave him alone. Doesn't need to be jaw dropping numbers. 3,200 yards 21 TDs and 10 picks or something in that vicinity and I'd leave him alone. That to me is plausible improvement.

I'm not for drafting another this year. I think it's a pretty poor QB class and I think you have to show you believe in Josh Allen. The 2020 class looks to have potential though, and I'd be inclined to take one there if Allen only puts up the numbers you suggest next season.

Allen is going to be here for 3 seasons good or bad. I believe Allen gives us the best chance to win with the current QB's on this roster. Allen is still developing and has to work with below average O-Line, TE and WR. People that I'm praying get fired or released for the good of this team are. 

1. KB

2. Croom

3. Ducasse 

4. Castillo 

5. Mills

6. Clay

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Allen is going to be here for 3 seasons good or bad. I believe Allen gives us the best chance to win with the current QB's on this roster. Allen is still developing and has to work with below average O-Line, TE and WR. People that I'm praying get fired or released for the good of this team are. 

1. KB

2. Croom

3. Ducasse 

4. Castillo 

5. Mills

6. Clay

I am with you on 5 of those 6. I want to see an upgrade for Mills in here before I am happy to release him.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not for drafting another this year. I think it's a pretty poor QB class and I think you have to show you believe in Josh Allen. The 2020 class looks to have potential though, and I'd be inclined to take one there if Allen only puts up the numbers you suggest next season.

Fair enough. I have done zero research on this QB crop so I cannot comment, I'm just open to another, doesn't have to be a high pick.

The numbers I suggested are the floor of what I find acceptable.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Is anyone suggesting that? I mean I agree it is mental if they are.... but I'm not seeing that. If anything I am seeing people say "put him on the shelf the whole year so he is 100% healthy for 2019. I think that is wrong too but that is the only "don't start" Allen sentiment I am saying.

Oh there have been many who have suggested he's a bust already, wasted pick, EJ II, and everything else. That's what I'm talking about as well as the fact he needs to start for experience purposes my friend. :thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am with you on 5 of those 6. I want to see an upgrade for Mills in here before I am happy to release him.

I'm ok with Croom for now, because we'd be short on depth if he and Clay were to depart.  He's show flashes on the field and must have shown a few in the bedroom to stick around. Pegs must like him, he's actually a Peterman, just this one actually uses his Peter for a roster spot.

11 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

By the end of next season we will have a answer on Allen one way or another.

I don't agree with that.  I think we will know in 2020.   Allen wasn't a 1 year project.   I think starting him every game he is healthy from now until the end of 2019 is good because he needs to accelerate his learning curve.   But I never thought he was less than a 2 year project.  I wouldn't cut ties with him even if he struggles in 2019.    There are some things he needs to show, but if you look back at this year, how much has he really been able to learn other than how to run for his life from a pass rush.   

He can't develop until he's got a clean pocket, we have only had that once this year and he was on the bench. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Look at Goff in his 1st year, Trubisky in his, Peyton Manning in his first season. You play Allen, let him get experience, and improve the team around him in the offseason. The discussion of sh*t canning him after 6 starts as a ROOKIE is absolutely retarded. 

Yup.   And the best thing he's shown is that the game isn't too big for him.  He doesn't play scared and aside from a handful of plays, he's not forcing things out there.

He's shown a knack for escaping pressure, and he's improving at keeping his eyes downfield.  The rest of the way it's going to be reading coverages, pre snap adjustments, and footwork/throwing mechanics.  

Obviously tons to learn before he can be great, but the kid already has a huge road win in Minny and a come-from-behind 4th quarter drive to win a game.    And most of all (lest we forget) the kid is so FUN to watch.   I say enjoy it, we don't have the pressure of having to win to make the playoffs, and we have some easier opponents going down the stretch here, with three at home in December.  Can't wait to smoke the Jags.

• Like (+1) 1

Because "the process" says to start Allen and have him develop.  Not everything goes as planned, but with purpose and a plan every step gets you closer to your goal.  Don't let the results (stat-line) of last Sunday cloud the process.  Matt could have easily thrown 2 more picks, and we'd all be over-reacting, claiming he sucks. He appears to lack the arm strength to be a long-term starter.  Allen is our future - He has the physical tools, we just have to find out if we are capable of developing him into a franchise QB.  You can't do that without putting him on the field.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He isnt going to be anymore ready by sitting on the bench. Just like anything in life you learn a lot more by doing than you do by watching no matter how closely you pay attention.

That's a cliche. You have to learn what to do before you get reps and do it. I thought Allen was regressing his last few games. He started running soon after he snapped the ball. You aren't learning the QB job doing that.

• Like (+1) 2

I worked on a project a few years ago with a sociologist who specialized in learning.  His theory was that everyone learns differently.  Some people learn by reading about how something is done.  Others learn by watching someone else do it.  Still others learn by actually doing it.  Successful leaders and managers have the ability to understand the people they have working for them and how they learn best, and then apply the best approach.  I have no idea how Josh Allen learns best, but I hope that McDermott is that kind of successful leader who can identify what works best for Allen and applies it.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Ahhh yes.     He’s not our guy if he doesn’t look like Tom Brady in his 6th start ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Nobody said that. 

That's you embellishing to make some point about Bills fans being impatient. 

(Even though any QB that has left Buffalo over the years, never resurfaced in the league as a great player.......)

The kid has to start regardless of the situation. There's no replacement for live game reps. He just recently said that he felt like the game was slowing down for him when they were playing Houston, just before his injury. And that makes sense because in that game he made a couple very nice, quick, decisive throws. The play he got injured on he put a 20-yard in-route on a rope to KB. He also had a great throw to Clay over the middle earlier in the game. And if OP has questions on a quick release for Allen, watch that Sports Science clip with him on YouTube. Kid has a lightning-fast release. But I assume you're talking about the hesitance he's shown to pull the trigger from time to time. That's typical rookie stuff and the more experience he gets, the better he should become.

At his ceiling, I think Allen could be a lot like Brett Favre. A guy who isn't afraid of any throw that will usually most of the time make the right decision and the right throw but will have some gambles he takes that backfire. And I'd be just fine with that after the 20+ years of "safe" quarterbacking we've seen here. I'm all in on the kid. He has the confidence, the work ethic, the intelligence, the athleticism and the natural arm talent. I realize that sounds a lot like EJ Manuel but where these two differ is the arm. EJ had this weird way of trying to aim the ball and half the time his throwing motion looked as if he was throwing a dart. Allen has a very natural quick release and the main things he'll need to work on are his processing, seeing the field and knowing when to and when not to run. 

I do feel better that he's now sharing the QB room with a 14-year vet who's seen a lot and a 6-year vet who has bounced around a handful of teams and while that's not necessarily good for Barkley himself, it can be good in the sense that Barkley has experience in numerous systems and can hopefully share that knowledge. I'm also glad to see that they made a clean break with Peterman. I thought they'd stick him on the practice squad but they didn't and that's probably for the best.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Much like simulators for fighter pilots? Just throw them in a plane and see what happens?

• Thank you (+1) 1