WHY is Allen really starting?

PUNT750

Look at Goff in his 1st year, Trubisky in his, Peyton Manning in his first season. You play Allen, let him get experience, and improve the team around him in the offseason. The discussion of sh*t canning him after 6 starts as a ROOKIE is absolutely retarded. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

By the end of next season we will have a answer on Allen one way or another.

Not necessarily.  Look at recent first round QBs like Bortles and Winston who have shown just enough to keep their teams "hanging on" to them but they simply aren't that good.

32 minutes ago, H2o said:

Look at Goff in his 1st year, Trubisky in his, Peyton Manning in his first season. You play Allen, let him get experience, and improve the team around him in the offseason. The discussion of sh*t canning him after 6 starts as a ROOKIE is absolutely retarded. 

Is anyone suggesting that? I mean I agree it is mental if they are.... but I'm not seeing that. If anything I am seeing people say "put him on the shelf the whole year so he is 100% healthy for 2019. I think that is wrong too but that is the only "don't start" Allen sentiment I am saying.

I'd be more inclined to stick with the hot hand and start Barkley against Jacksonville, then hand the keys over to Allen. It won't hurt to give him one more game to watch and learn from a different veteran who's at least accomplishing something with this offense.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Not necessarily.  Look at recent first round QBs like Bortles and Winston who have shown just enough to keep their teams "hanging on" to them but they simply aren't that good.

Yea I think if we "know" by the end of next year it is probably know in a bad way. If he shows progress next year but is just okay we might not know for a couple more years..... the Dolphins still don't "know" what they have in Tannehill.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My answer to the question? Allen shouldn’t be starting against Jacksonville. I would  start Barkley and see how it goes. Putting Allen back out there looks to me like the Coaching Staff doesn’t want to embarrassed by Barkley doing well again and then having to answer questions about their early and offseason decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

the team protests and they start barkley. we go on a winning streak destroying opponents including an upset at ne to possibly take the division title.

then against the titans in the playoffs, the staff decides to start allen....who loses his shoe while scrambling for a 1st down that leads to a go ahead field goal....

then on the ensuing kickoff....music city miracle part 2....20 years to the day.  wouldn't that be a hoot.

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Not quite. We need to see an upward trajectory that's all. QBs take a painfully long time to develop but it'll payoff if you're patient. Could realistically see growth over a 10 year period with Allen.

Allen needs to take a big step forward sometime next year and maintain that improved level or get better.  That seems to be the pattern for young QBs who become successful QBs: they improve significantly some time in their second season as starters and maintain that high level of play.  You'll see that pattern repeated in the career of almost every current  NFL QB who is considered "great".  The QBs who don't make that jump in their second season -- and maintain it -- tend to end up as mediocre starters at best.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think if we "know" by the end of next year it is probably know in a bad way. If he shows progress next year but is just okay we might not know for a couple more years..... the Dolphins still don't "know" what they have in Tannehill.

Exactly. Tannehill is probably the poster boy for this kind of QB, especially since he can really throw some pretty passes.  There's just something missing from him.  I think he just isn't a clutch player IMO.

It's better for the team if the QB just out right busts than if he's "just not quite good enough" because the team won't invest in a new potential franchise QB if they might have one already on the roster.  That's how LA and Philly ended up with Goff and Wentz while the Bucs have Winston and Titans have Mariota (who may be pretty good but not on the caliber of Goff or Wentz).

Edited by SoTier

5 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Not entirely true. Barkley is only 28, was viewed as a potential top 10 pick. If Allen is not ready, Barkley gives them the best chance to win now and maybe next year if Allen does not pan out. Barkley can sign a team friendly backup deal for 3-4 yrs at 5-8m a year. If he beats out Allen, then we have stability while we look for the next franchise guy. If Allen wins, we have a solid backup under team control until the end of Allen's rookie deal. Win/Win 

Barkley was viewed as a potential top 10 in his junior year.

Then reality set in during his senior year and he wasn’t viewed as a top 10 pick by anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Exactly. Tannehill is probably the poster boy for this kind of QB, especially since he can really throw some pretty passes.  There's just something missing from him.  I think he just isn't a clutch player IMO.

Accuracy, consistency, toughness, leadership. Other than that I suppose he is okay.....

But you are right... he is in year 7 (missed one whole year injured) and he has kind of teased without ever delivering.

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Because starting Anderson or Barkley does nothing for our future

Yes basically this. If Allen starts the next 6 games and is not good or shows no improvement, it wouldnt surprise me if the bills draft another qb. Starting Anderson or Barkley only delays the inevitable 

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Allen needs to take a big step forward sometime next year and maintain that improved level or get better.  That seems to be the pattern for young QBs who become successful QBs: they improve significantly some time in their second season as starters and maintain that high level of play.  You'll see that pattern repeated in the career of almost every current  NFL QB who is considered "great".  The QBs who don't make that jump in their second season -- and maintain it -- tend to end up as mediocre starters at best

He just needs to show the juice is worth the squeeze. Eli Manning was notorious for his struggles as was Drew Brees and it went on for quite some time. QBs continue to get better and better over time. To me it's all about an upward trajectory.

12 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He just needs to show the juice is worth the squeeze. Eli Manning was notorious for his struggles as was Drew Brees and it went on for quite some time. QBs continue to get better and better over time. To me it's all about an upward trajectory.

I agree that so long as he is on an obvious upward curve after year 2 he gets to start year 3. But that benefit of the doubt doesn't last much beyond that. By mid-year 3 he needs to be playing at a high level or else I am drafting another.

• Like (+1) 1

If Allen plays mediocre football the rest of the year that certainly wouldn't be definitive but at the same time you hope to see improvement with his decision making, if he is able to process what is happening in front of him quicker, pre read defenses and steady improvement on his mechanics ie. accuracy.    This is what you look for more than anything.

this season is over for all intents and purposes.  So, its a good time for Allen to polish skills, learn the game with OJT.  Maybe, just maybe he will be ready next year then.  He is not ready now based on what we have seen to date.  He is a stud out there, and I like him on the hoof, but he needs to show QB finess  and accuracy in running the team before we go all in for the next decade.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree that so long as he is on an obvious upward curve after year 2 he gets to start year 3. But that benefit of the doubt doesn't last much beyond that. By mid-year 3 he needs to be playing at a high level or else I am drafting another.

I think he will be ok and as far as drafting another goes, that needs to be done now. I'd take one as high as RD2. You don't mess around with QB and if you're McDermott, you're a fool if you go into next year with just Allen and Barkley. So long as Allen throws a 2:1 TD:INT ratio I'd leave him alone. Doesn't need to be jaw dropping numbers. 3,200 yards 21 TDs and 10 picks or something in that vicinity and I'd leave him alone. That to me is plausible improvement.