WHY is Allen really starting?

PUNT750

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Very true.  But at the end of the day the most important question is "how do we get the most out of Allen moving forward."  Just like Mahomes, you get the most out of Allen by sitting him his rookie year. 

Learn by doing. See Wentz, Trubisky,  Goff, as well as the other 1st round rookie QBs in the 2018 class. 

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Keep playing him and let him learn much in the same way Goff and Trubisky did in their respective rookie campaigns.  Stop acting as if Allen is mentally fragile when there is no evidence to suggest that.

Ok then.  Let's keep trotting out our raw, inaccurate QB, with a porous o-line and sub par receivers.  What could go wrong?

That's sort of like the "best player available" draft mantra.  Sure, that's what everyone says, but that's not really what any team is doing.  There are other considerations that need to be made. 

You and I disagree. And in my opinion it’s the exact opposite of the BPA philosophy on draft day.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Learn by doing. See Wentz, Trubisky,  Goff, as well as the other 1st round rookie QBs in the 2018 class. 

Yeah, but those were the "NFL ready" guys.  Allen is not one of those guys.  He is in the mold of Mahomes, "raw but talented" 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1

Yeah, but those were the "QB ready" guys.  Allen is not one of those guys.  He is in the mold of Mahomes, "raw but talented" 

Game experience will do him well to shorten his learning curve along with the other young players who are getting playing time this season as the team focuses on 2019 and beyond.   The youth movement is underway and there's no sense in waiting until next season for Allen to get on the field.  He'll play as long as he remains healthy.

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills roster is a far cry from what Wentz had in Philly. Goff didn't play until week 11 of his rookie season and Trubisky didn't play until week 5, I believe, and both QBs are more fundamentally sound Allen.

It's not the same.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The Bills roster is a far cry from what Wentz had in Philly. Goff didn't play until week 11 of his rookie season and Trubisky didn't play until week 5, I believe, and both QBs are more fundamentally sound Allen.

It's not the same

No situation is exactly the same, but all of them were on mediocre to bad teams. Allen has missed 4 games that allowed him to watch and learn. Now it's time to get back on the horse and that's what he'll do starting this Sunday.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:29 AM, GunnerBill said:

"Winning now" 

The disease that kept the Bills out of the playoffs for 17 straight years.

Who gives us the best chance to scrape to 9-7 is not the way we need to think. This needs to be Josh Allen's job until it is clear he is not the guy. Whether that is sometime in 2019 or whether it is sometime in 2035 after a couple of Superbowl wins. 

Tanking keeps working for Browns, Bengals, Jets and many more!

29 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Tanking keeps working for Browns, Bengals, Jets and many more!

I am not advocating tanking. What I am advocating is letting Josh Allen play and learn and see what we have there rather than the "but this vet gives us the best chance to win this Sunday." So many times in the last two decades we have started people who were in no way going to be the answer because they gave us the best chance to eek out a 9-7 and a playoff berth. It resulted in three 9-7s, one 8-8 and a lot of losing seasons and only one post season game. 

Maybe Matt Barkley gives us a slightly better chance to win this week than Josh Allen. Maybe starting him the rest of the way gives us a better chance of getting to 6-10 or 7-9.... but it does nothing for the long term.

I am not saying try and lose - I am absolutely okay with winning the final 6 games in a row and getting another 9-7 if we do that with Josh Allen at Quarterback, because that gives us something tangiable for 2019 and beyond. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/16/2018 at 6:43 AM, Sweats said:

I say we throw Allen to the wolves and he either figures it out or he doesn’t.......sink or swim.

AGREE - If he drowns, he is not a witch Quarterback... or something like that ?