WHY is Allen really starting?

PUNT750

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The fans will not impact any decisions.  The team is committed to Allen's development and no journeyman factors into the equation.  Everyone should get this as it's obvious.

Fans and Media play a bigger part in decisions than you think. 

We will see. I say the Billsy thing happens.

Allen needs to perform. (Period)

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Yup. We'll have an idea by the end of this season but won't have an answer til next.

We can’t ruin our new qb, we must groom him to succeed.

Year 2 is where we will see the greatest leap in improvement. 

We must prepare him to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PittsforDave said:

We will see. I say the Billsy thing happens.

Allen needs to perform. (Period)

:lol: See Nathan Peterman as proof that fans and media simply don't. Allen needs to show improvement, but it's not as if he won't be the unquestioned starter next season.  They will build up the supporting cast around him in the draft and UFA next season as other teams have done.  No controversy at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol: See Nathan Peterman as proof that fans and media simply don't. Allen needs to show improvement, but it's not as if he won't be the unquestioned starter next season.  They will build up the supporting cast around him in the draft and UFA next season as other teams have done.  No controversy at all. 

I would love this to happen, sounds like a fairytale though. 

After last week performance, we are all expecting the offense to work from here on out. No more excuses. We saw a capable qb move the ball and score points against a good D. We have the ability.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, PUNT750 said:

I feel the Bills are doing the right thing in starting Allen for the balance of the season. It really isn't an NFL learning experience for him - rather a gut check for the Bills HC and GM.

IF he doesn't show an awareness for the game, a quick release or can't MANAGE the game he's not our man. We've been through this before with Johnson, Losman and EJ. Great talent but not winners in the NFL.

I hope he's "the man" and he's getting his chance!

I wasn't for allen starting...but I like your reasoning

2 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

I would love this to happen, sounds like a fairytale though. 

After last week performance, we are all expecting the offense to work from here on out. No more excuses. We saw a capable qb move the ball and score points against a good D. We have the ability.

At 3-7 all I care about is Allen's development with an eye towards the future. Immediate results aren't that important just as they weren't in Goff's and Trubisky's respective rookie seasons.  Eyes on the prize!

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, Teddy KGB said:

eehh yes.     He’s not our guy if he doesn’t look like Tom Brady in his 6th start ??‍♂️??‍♂️

A morerational statement would be he's not our guy if he continues to often not be able to it the broadside of a barn,,if he stands there like a wooden indian staring down the  primary receiver,if he takes sacks after having good protection,and if he doesn't show any touch on a) screen passes and b)short passes where a DB is closing in for a brutal hit.

He needs to show that he has the instincts to play QB in the nfl

Im still somewhat optimistic

Edited by Tcali

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That’s what team doctors are supposed to do. Assess the realistic chance he reinjures the elbow. If they clear him, he’s in. 

Really? You might want to read the rest before weighing in.

21 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Not entirely true. Barkley is only 28, was viewed as a potential top 10 pick. If Allen is not ready, Barkley gives them the best chance to win now and maybe next year if Allen does not pan out. Barkley can sign a team friendly backup deal for 3-4 yrs at 5-8m a year. If he beats out Allen, then we have stability while we look for the next franchise guy. If Allen wins, we have a solid backup under team control until the end of Allen's rookie deal. Win/Win 

Wow he really slipped from a top 10 pick to the 4th round. That must have been a long few days in NY at the draft.

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Wow he really slipped from a top 10 pick to the 4th round. That must have been a long few days in NY at the draft.

He had a rough senior year at USC. At the end of his junior year, he was considered top 10, but he lost a few pieces on offense and his arm was exposed a bit at the combine. Still he has the tools to be a solid QB, and as we saw from the mental standpoint- he picked up the offense quick, made quick decisions and was fairly accurate with his throws. 

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Where a guy was projected at one point in time doesn't really matter much.

Christian Hackenberg was projected as the #1 overall pick after his freshman year. He was a colossal bust.

Aaron Murray was projected as a 1st rounder as a Junior. He was a 7th rounder who quickly fell out of the league. 

Jevan Snead was projected as a top 5 pick after his sophomore year. He went undrafted. 

Barkley was "projected" as a top 10 pick by Walter Football and other amateur draft sites. No one in the NFL ever thought he had the arm or difference making ability as a passer to ever be a top pick. He was a 4th round pick for a reason. 

Edited by jrober38

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Barkley was "projected" as a top 10 pick by Walter Football and other amateur draft sites. No one in the NFL ever thought he had the arm or difference making ability as a passer to ever be a top pick. He was a 4th round pick for a reason. 

True, but his stock definitely slipped even with NFL teams his final year at USC. If he had come out the year before I reckon he'd have gone in the 2nd.

By this logic, haven't we already seen enough of him? If he couldn't do it in his first few starts, why should we see anything different the rest of the season?

Or are you saying it IS possible for him to improve and progress? Of so, why couldn't he continue to improve and progress in year 2? Then year 3? And throughout his career?

11 hours ago, PittsforDave said:

And what makes YOU think this is true? What evidence do you have?

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

True, but his stock definitely slipped even with NFL teams his final year at USC. If he had come out the year before I reckon he'd have gone in the 2nd.

Doubtful. 

Barkley was always a flawed QB with limited arm strength, zero mobility, and mediocre height who put up huge numbers at USC because he was surrounded by NFL talent. He threw a ton of wide receiver screens to Marquis Lee, Robert Woods and Nelson Agholor and they did most of the heavy lifting. 

Honestly there's not much difference between Barkley and someone like AJ McCarron. Both are limited players who excelled in college because they were surrounded by studs who could compensate for their short comings. 

Barkley was throwing to not 1, not 2, but 3 future starting NFL Wide Receivers and a future NFL tight end. Of course he looked "good". 

Edited by jrober38

49 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Doubtful. 

Barkley was always a flawed QB with limited arm strength, zero mobility, and mediocre height who put up huge numbers at USC because he was surrounded by NFL talent. He threw a ton of wide receiver screens to Marquis Lee, Robert Woods and Nelson Agholor and they did most of the heavy lifting. 

Honestly there's not much difference between Barkley and someone like AJ McCarron. Both are limited players who excelled in college because they were surrounded by studs who could compensate for their short comings. 

Barkley was throwing to not 1, not 2, but 3 future starting NFL Wide Receivers and a future NFL tight end. Of course he looked "good". 

The point wasn't whether he would have been a successful NFL QB, just whether he'd have gone higher. Right or wrong, I believe he would have done. Not in the 1st round, but I do think he'd have gone higher.