WHY is Allen really starting?

PUNT750

I feel the Bills are doing the right thing in starting Allen for the balance of the season. It really isn't an NFL learning experience for him - rather a gut check for the Bills HC and GM.

IF he doesn't show an awareness for the game, a quick release or can't MANAGE the game he's not our man. We've been through this before with Johnson, Losman and EJ. Great talent but not winners in the NFL.

I hope he's "the man" and he's getting his chance!

23 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

I feel the Bills are doing the right thing in starting Allen for the balance of the season. It really isn't an NFL learning experience for him - rather a gut check for the Bills HC and GM.

IF he doesn't show an awareness for the game, a quick release or can't MANAGE the game he's not our man. We've been through this before with Johnson, Losman and EJ. Great talent but not winners in the NFL.

Thank god you said this. It's been on everyone's mind and we really didn't have enough Josh Allen threads. 

• Haha (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

I regret reading this. I’ve read it far too many times already, and it was generally better stated. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

Regardless how Allen performs for the rest of the season this regime is invested in him. Even if he flops in the upcoming games the Bills are not in the next draft going to use a high pick on a qb. If they conclude based on what they see from him in these remaining games that he doesn't have the wherewithal to be a franchise qb they will probably go out and get another veteran qb or go with Barkley as a holding pattern qb while they continue to rework the roster. 

When the Bills selected Allen it was with the intention of not playing him right away because they knew that he wasn't going to be as ready in his rookie year as some of the other top tier prospects. Their ideal situation was not to play him right away and to bring him along slowly and get him acclimated to the pro game. It didn't work out as planned because of the failed play of the other starting qb forced their hand to put him in. 

So I disagree with the notion that this is a test for the HC and GM as regards to their commitment to Allen. I don't believe that it is the case. They are using this year, although it wasn't their original intention, to play Allen so that he will be better prepared for next year. If he doesn't play well in the remaining games it will not alter his position as the future qb. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Because starting Anderson or Barkley does nothing for our future

Not entirely true. Barkley is only 28, was viewed as a potential top 10 pick. If Allen is not ready, Barkley gives them the best chance to win now and maybe next year if Allen does not pan out. Barkley can sign a team friendly backup deal for 3-4 yrs at 5-8m a year. If he beats out Allen, then we have stability while we look for the next franchise guy. If Allen wins, we have a solid backup under team control until the end of Allen's rookie deal. Win/Win 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Not entirely true. Barkley is only 28, was viewed as a potential top 10 pick. If Allen is not ready, Barkley gives them the best chance to win now and maybe next year if Allen does not pan out. Barkley can sign a team friendly backup deal for 3-4 yrs at 5-8m a year. If he beats out Allen, then we have stability while we look for the next franchise guy. If Allen wins, we have a solid backup under team control until the end of Allen's rookie deal. Win/Win 

"Winning now" 

The disease that kept the Bills out of the playoffs for 17 straight years.

Who gives us the best chance to scrape to 9-7 is not the way we need to think. This needs to be Josh Allen's job until it is clear he is not the guy. Whether that is sometime in 2019 or whether it is sometime in 2035 after a couple of Superbowl wins. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1