Top 10 Comeback Player of the Year Candidates

26CornerBlitz

Top 10 Comeback Player of the Year Candidates

By Chris Wesseling, Around the NFL Writer

0ap3000000988274.jpg&f=jpg&w=1280&c=80

The 2017 NFL season was unfortunately marred by a litany of injuries to established superstars and promising newcomers, too often leaving viewers pining for excitement and excellence. Now that the majority of those players are not only healthy but also thriving, we have experienced a more entertaining, higher caliber of football in 2018.

One byproduct of that phenomenon is a crowded race for Comeback Player of the Year. I've been writing iterations of this article for several years, and this is clearly the most impressive collection of stars vying for a nebulous honor.

Since 1972, when Pro Football Weekly began handing out the award, quarterbacks have won roughly half of the time. As a general rule, running backs must beat the odds to turn in an especially productive campaign after overcoming a debilitating knee injury (Adrian Peterson, Willis McGahee, Garrison Hearst). Wide receivers and tight ends are typically afterthoughts barring a career year (Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Keenan Allen) on the heels of a disappointing season. Every decade or so, a defensive luminary crashes the party.

The triad of Andrew Luck, J.J. Watt and Peterson have distanced themselves from the pack in the first 10 weeks of the 2018 season. My personal rankings shift by the week, with each marquee player taking a starring turn. The final results will likely come down to late December, with voters waiting to see which player helps catapult his team into the postseason.

Without further ado, let's examine the top 10 candidates for Comeback Player of the Year honors.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Jadaveon made JJ's job much easier.. Luck's job has only gotten harder in his comeback season. All in for Luck.

It's actually gotten easier with a much improved OL that gives the team a better running game.  He also has Frank Reich who's doing an excellent job calling plays to put Luck in advantageous situations.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's actually gotten easier with a much improved OL that gives the team a better running game.  He also has Frank Reich who's doing an excellent job calling plays to put Luck in advantageous situations.

well. Still Luck haha. Jadaveon Clowney is a monster sucking up and beating double teams. He's everything he was billed to be after a shaky rookie year.

To me, comeback player of the year should be more a player who did not perform at a super high level prior to an injury and is now doing so (Peterson). If it is going to be a superstar player, it should be one who battled multiple years of injuries (Luck). By my own personal bias, I would give it to Luck or Peterson. 

Edited by Bills2ref