Derek Anderson Good for Josh Allen?

Miracle Bills

43 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

Anderson is not going to be the backup for Allen next year.  Barkley probably will be or should be.  The Bills goal should be to have Allen and Barkley for years as the starter and backup. If Allen does not develop then Barkley is more than adequate as a starter. Anderson has already proven he is not.

Sweet Jesus man, Barclay has won like 3 games in his whole career and  has a 10 TDs and 18 Ints. I am not so sure he is a "backup for years", let alone a "more than adequate starter". 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Miracle Bills said:

.... We now have Matt Barkley and it is time for Anderson to be gone. We don't need an offensive coordinator, a quarterbacks coach, an experienced quarterback, and another experienced quarterback all teaching a rookie.  Too many people telling him what to do is the last thing he needs.

What makes you think Barkley is "teaching?"  He was brought in to be the back up, because Peterman was ineffective (at best). He's had his hands full just learning the next game plan, let alone the whole playbook. He certainly hasn't had time for "teaching."

• Like (+1) 1

I was as happy (and surprised) as anyone with Barkley's play on Sunday.  That doesn't mean he'll ever play that well again and it doesn't mean the are we set at the backup position for years, as many are saying.  The guy played one good game, after being overlooked by all 32 NFL teams for a couple of years.  He was pretty lousy in his game action prior to that.  I agree that due to his age and arguably his pedigree, he may be a better player than Anderson, but that doesn't mean he has a better temperament or better ability to mentor Allen.  Anderson has been in the league a lot longer and has started a lot more games than Barkley, and also has direct mentoring experience of the kind Buffalo is looking for.  I don't know if the mentoring thing is effective or not, but Allen has been complimentary of Anderson's presence and our front office and coaching staff apparently think that there is value in it now.  They obviously didn't think so at the beginning of the season....

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Understanding how things should be done and having the ability to actually do them are not the same thing.

absolutely correct. if they can have Anderson taking Allen through everything on the sideline during the game, that would be a big help. if he is giving him helpful pointers during practices, that is also a big help. the seasoned vet in the twilight of his career is what they had wanted for Allen all along (in my opinion). which is why i think they were making a play for McCown. most of the best coaches are the guys that never had great ability. they were the guys that had to work a little harder to achieve a lot less. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miracle Bills said:

I understand why they brought Anderson to Buffalo to help with Josh Allen, but with Matt Barkely here shouldn't Allen be learning from Barkley now? In Derek Anderson's last 3 years in the NFL he has been absolutely terrible. He has throw 2 touchdowns and 6 interceptions and has never looked good.  He is not a good quarterback and you have to wonder why you would want a bad quarterback teaching your future franchise quarterback how to play. The NFL Anderson grew up in is nothing like the NFL of today. 

Isn't this like asking a bad student to tutor your child?

Aaron Rogers isn’t available for a mentoring role

3 hours ago, Miracle Bills said:

What knowledge? How to be a bad quarterback?  Our quarterbacks coach should be coaching Allen and he should be learning from a guy like Barkley on basics like game preparation.  We don't want a rookie quarterback learning from two veterans who may have two totally different ways of doing things. 

There are too many cooks in the kitchen. Allen doesn't need a quarterbacks coach and 2 veterans telling him how to play quarterback in the NFL.

Barkley has been just as bad if not worse than Anderson. Why should he be learning from one terrible qb and not the other? What difference does it make. 

Anderson stuck on Carolina through a lot of playoff teams and I think their Super Bowl appearance and was paid quite nicely as a backup, with Cam running and always taking a beating they were very comfortable with Anderson. To me that’s enough to say the guy knows the quarterback position and how to prepare for games. Which is all we are looking for in a “mentor” 

Allen is supposed to be the franchise guy. Doesn’t matter who the backup is, if the backup is forced to play for an extended period of time most of the time the season is doomed anyways. Yeah yeah Foles etc etc but that was more a fluke than common scenarios in today’s NFL. 

Anderson is exactly the type of guy the bills needed and should of had the day they drafted Allen. Not McCarron or peterman. 

Hes zero threat to take the starting job, knows the ins and outs of team travel, being punctual for meetings, how to watch and learn from the film room. You don’t have a career as long as he’s had without knowing all the behind the scenes and being successful with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2018 at 6:32 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

Those that cannot teach, teach Phys Ed.

As long as we have Barkley, don't think we need Anderson.

I would reverse the theme

Barkley is the back up

Anderson is the mentor.

8 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I’m not sure I was Allen learning anything from Derek Anderson. He has not exactly had a successful NFL career. From his first Bills start I would only want Allen to do the exact opposite of Anderson. 

we need to separate   Knowledge and mentoring  from talent. they are not the same things.  A guy can know exactly what a Coach wants each play , but be unable physically to execute.
Teaching  is done many ways 2ref.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, OJ Tom said:

I think this whole "bring in a Vet to mentor" thing is way overblown. Do some of these vets help the noob out? Sure, but probably to varying degrees. I have a feeling it's more competitive than mentoring (which in it's own way, can be good. Maybe even "more good").

It's not overblown. EJ stated he learned more from watching Kyle Orton then he did from the Bills OC, QB coach. Watching him prepare for a game, film study and what to watch for in pre snap reads, reading that defense and then talking to him after each series. Understanding what's happening on each play.

Not having a veteran QB on the roster with a rookie QB and a second year QB who had only two game starts is basically unheard of in the NFL. These young, inexperienced QB s needed help in so many areas and that Veteran QB like Derek Anderson helps more then most understand. He was brought into Buffalo knowing he wasn't going to start and he didn't want to. His sole job was to help mentor the young QBs and he was okay with that. 

Anderson was in a similar role at Carolina and help mentor Cam Newton greatly, so this FO trusted him.