Mike Tanier - The Decline of Tom Brady, Part XIV: This Time It's Really Happening

26CornerBlitz

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's not as calm in the pocket when pressured. 

for 17 years I've been reading this...

Edelman is the key here, if he's healthy there is nothing they can't eke out when it matters

and the other coaches are going to choke and blink if it comes down to a clutch decision in the playoffs

Saying he looks average when he's in the top half of the league is *****.  

32 QB's in the NFL. 3 or 4 are always never any good and not true NFL talents.  3 or 4 more are always inconsistent or flash in the pan without real longevity as a starter beyond a few years, and another 2 or 3 are rookies who show potential but judged on the bell curve so that takes you down to 25 QB's roughly so being in the top half really is more about being a top 10 QB.

Hit Brady early and he is skittish the rest of the game...

Hit him early, force a punt on their first possession, and score on yours to go up 7-0. That's almost always the type of game that beats them.

If it's a shootout and he isn't pressured OR you settle for FGs too many times  you are going to lose still (see KC).

19 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Hit Brady early and he is skittish the rest of the game...

Hit him early, force a punt on their first possession, and score on yours to go up 7-0. That's almost always the type of game that beats them.

If it's a shootout and he isn't pressured OR you settle for FGs too many times  you are going to lose still (see KC).

yeah, rush him, hit him, he will crumble

SIMPLE!!

for 17 years now

give it up

18 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

If you want to talk decline. Look at Gronk. He is done.

they won it without him two years ago

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I think Brady and Belichick are trying to wait each other out so they can each try to prove they don't need the other to win.

I think Belichick has already proven he can win without Brady. What are they, something like 13-6 without Brady? Hardly the fall that Indy experienced once Peyton went down.

15 hours ago, mrags said:

That might be ok. But I really want him and the rest of the Pats fans to suffer. I want a serious franchise crushing year out of him. I don’t want him to make the playoffs. I don’t want him to finish the year and I want him to be healthy but just really bad. It adds to the heartbreak for their super classy fans I think. 

Suffering is what might happen because most of them seem to be in denial that he will ever be bad.

My company has one of our main offices outside of Boston, and I have to admit I sometime glance at the comments sections on patfans or boston.com...but most of what I get is from my Boston co-workers.  Right now they are 'slightly concerned', but not as much as I would have thought. They want the by-week, but most of them this morning were just saying the pats are still the AFC favorite, and not having the by-week just makes it a little tiny bit tougher for them.  They expect Brady to be elite when it counts (playoffs).

At our last annual meeting in Foxboro, I asked them how they thought the 'brady era' would end..and the consensus among the pats fans there was he would likely play 2-3 more years...the Pats would be in the mix for Superbowls ever year...and by his last year...2020 or 2021, there might be some 'slight' slippage in his play and that is when he'll choose to retire so he can still go out 'on top'.  Maybe that isn't what ever Pats fans thinks...but they guys in our office there who like to speak up about sports...that sure is their opinion.

Edited by mjd1001

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

you've been telling us he is deteriorating for HOW MANY YEARS?

NO, IT"S SERIOUS THIS TIME!!

(LOL)

Why is it serious this time?  In just about every aspect of QB play....wins and losses...points scored...QB rating...QBR...just about any metric you want....where he (or the pats) ranked toward the top of the league most of the time..now they are quite a bit down.  And if no measurable metrics do it for you (not even wins and losses or points ranking compared to the rest of the league), then the eye test should.  I, like many others on this board, typically see 8 or more Pats games a year.  It is not even close...this year there are more passes that WR's are reaching for (that didn't happen in the past) or passes that receivers are basically picking up off the turf or even passes that hit the ground before they get there....more of that than I can ever remember with him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/14/2018 at 4:10 PM, thebandit27 said:

He's right, and Belichick saw it coming.

Their entire offseason, draft, and in-season game plan was/is predicated upon transitioning to a run-based offense.  If they can't run the ball, they're in real trouble.

They've scored 27 or more points 5 times this year, and those outputs came in their 5 best rushing efforts.

Stop the run, and you stop NE.  We saw it vs. Buf on MNF--a team with a half-competent offense would've won that game.

Updating this:

NE is 7-0 when they rush for over 100 yards

NE is 2-5 when they rush for less than 100 yards.  The two losses? The game where they rushed for 97 yards against the Colts, and the game in which they got to face Derek Anderson--a game that would've been lost to any team with a competent QB.

Stop the run, and you stop NE.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Updating this:

NE is 7-0 when they rush for over 100 yards

NE is 2-5 when they rush for less than 100 yards.  The two losses? The game where they rushed for 97 yards against the Colts, and the game in which they got to face Derek Anderson--a game that would've been lost to any team with a competent QB.

Stop the run, and you stop NE.

These types of stats are my personal pet peeves. When you are winning the game, you end up running more to kill the clock (so you have a lot of rushing stats). If you're behind in a game, you are throwing the ball to catch up and don't run much at all. Then broadcasters say "when they run, they win." No, when they win, they run. Which one comes first? Maybe they ran the ball like crazy in the first half and they are correct in their perception that their running game is the key to their offense, that certainly happens. I think there was even a game or two where Michel had like 150+ yards. But generally, that is not the case. Someone would have to break down the wins and losses for me in order to believe they are winning because their running game.

Edited by I Make All The Throws
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, I Make All The Throws said:

These types of stats are my personal pet peeves. When you are winning the game, you end up running more to kill the clock (so you have a lot of rushing stats). If you're behind in a game, you are throwing the ball to catch up and don't run much at all. Then broadcasters say "when they run, they win." No, when they win, they run. Which one comes first? Maybe they ran the ball like crazy in the first half and they are correct in their perception that their running game is the key to their offense, that certainly happens. I think there was even a game or two where Michel had like 150+ yards. But generally, that is not the case. Someone would have to break down the wins and losses for me in order to believe they are winning because their running game.

Feel free to look at the play-by-play in those games.

I watch every game every week, and it's been apparent to me since September that this is a run-first team.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I respectfully disagree- Brady is beginning to deteriorate. Sure, he may have games that are above average and some flashes of greatness- but all in all many people have the same assessment as I do. I hope he plays another 5 years and we watch him turn into a shell of his former self.

For the record I was being sarcastic. Poor attempt at humor on my part. I actually do agree with you. Would be surprised if he could last another 5 years as the starter though but Brady has sadly proved me wrong about his career ending for nearly a decade. 

• Like (+1) 1