Mike Tanier - The Decline of Tom Brady, Part XIV: This Time It's Really Happening

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

He can be in obvious decline and the team can still win as long as he can make enough plays.

Are you saying that you didn't believe Peyton Manning was in obvious decline the year Denver beat NE and went on to win the Super Bowl?

Worth a read — https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/11/14/18094854/new-england-patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick-super-bowl-contention

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Luka said:

But he isn't playing those teams, against the current teams he has been to the Super Bowl 8 times. That's E-I-G-H-T times. There isn't any QB from any era that accomplished that. You could argue in terms of legacy that Bradshaw and Montana still one up him for never losing a Super Bowl and doing it in the era of football that you prefer. But you may never see what he's accomplished again. And I feel like this would be less of a discussion if it was Brees or Manning with all the rings. People that are universally liked and not on the Patriots.

Im refering to him not being the GOAt if you follow everything.  So your reply is really irrelavent to what Im saying.  And Brees and Manning would be the same case.  Rivers and Big Ben would do alright in any era I believe.

IMO, the Saints and/or Rams would/will destroy the Patriots in the Super Bowl... and probably the Chiefs as well (if they make it).  The only AFC teams I can imagine having a chance would be Pittsburgh and maybe the Chargers because they can both put up points and have a competent defense.

I also dont see New England beating the Chiefs, Chargers, or Pittsburgh on the road.  If they again fluke into home field advantage throughout, they will probably advance to the Super Bowl, predicated on whatever hijinks go on there.

5 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Im refering to him not being the GOAt if you follow everything.  So your reply is really irrelavent to what Im saying.  And Brees and Manning would be the same case.  Rivers and Big Ben would do alright in any era I believe.

Wow. You are dense.

Numbers wise, he's the GOAT. There really is no argument or discussion to be made. Trying to say he couldn't play in a different era is what's irrelevant. He didn't time travel to play in this era of football.

17 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He can be in obvious decline and the team can still win as long as he can make enough plays.

Are you saying that you didn't believe Peyton Manning was in obvious decline the year Denver beat NE and went on to win the Super Bowl?

He looks just like Peyton Manning did post MVP year. Getting by on a weak arm that's gonna fall apart real quick next year. First time I've called the downfall of Brady so I haven't been wrong on that yet lol.

He's always been noodly though if Beli finds a way to stack the roster with good YAC recievers he can dink and dunk a decent offense for as long as the refs are going to leave him untouchable.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

I have been saying this since the Monday nighter at the Cap. The Tennessee game became another nail. Time has caught up with the GOAT like it does with everything. Tommy boy has haunted us long enough. 

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

IMO, the Saints and/or Rams would/will destroy the Patriots in the Super Bowl... and probably the Chiefs as well (if they make it).  The only AFC teams I can imagine having a chance would be Pittsburgh and maybe the Chargers because they can both put up points and have a competent defense.

I also dont see New England beating the Chiefs, Chargers, or Pittsburgh on the road.  If they again fluke into home field advantage throughout, they will probably advance to the Super Bowl, predicated on whatever hijinks go on there.

There won’t be another Super Bowl for #12. 

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

the chargers with bosa can be a really dangerous team. 

Wesseling: Tom Brady no longer a top-five 'old' QB

6) Tom Brady, 41, New England Patriots

After topping the charts in touchdowns, TD:INT ratio and passer rating in a three-year span from 2015 to 2017, Brady ranks 15th, 12th and 17th in those categories, respectively, this season. Those are the numbers. What does the film show? My colleague Gregg Rosenthal's QB Index, which grades every throw by every passer, placed Brady at the top in each of the past two seasons. Through 11 weeks of the 2018 season, 10 QBs rank higher than the reigning MVP. Brady deserves the utmost respect for obsessively training to reverse the effects of typical decline, improbably turning pocket movement from a weakness to a strength as he approached the age-40 barrier.

For the first time since his mid-30s, though, his ability to throw from a muddy pocket is regressing. Self-preservation is a powerful instinct, ultimately toppling fearsome linebackers as well as pretty-boy passers. Brady has been flinching to protect himself, turning his back and shoulders to oncoming pass rushers and letting balls sail off-target. He struggles to throw with authority and consistency outside the numbers and downfield, too often seeing his passes nosedive at the catch point. For compensation purposes, the Patriots' offense is more reliant than ever upon smoke and mirrors. To be clear, none of this is brand new. It's just that the ratio of poor plays to positive plays is gradually increasing. In fact, one source has Brady with the highest rate of off-target throws this season.

One of the fiercest competitors ever to play the position, Brady has made a career out of slaying dragons. This isn't a 2015 Peyton Manning situation, where the quarterback is an albatross in danger of losing his job to keep the Super Bowl contender afloat. If Rob Gronkowski and Sony Michel stay healthy and the offensive line keeps the pressure at bay, nobody should be surprised if the legend who has spent an entire career bending the two-minute drill to his indomitable will finds himself back where he belongs -- in the AFC title game.

The Pats still have a good shot at the Super Bowl for 2 reasons:  a weak AFC, and the acquisition of Gordon (thanks, Cleveland).

But this is the end.  Both the division and conference should be improved next year, and Brady won’t get younger or better.  I will enjoy watching him decline.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/15/2018 at 7:35 PM, frostbitmic said:

Yeah,  I'll believe that when Brady and the leagues favorite team misses the Super Bowl for a change.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:35 PM, frostbitmic said:

Yeah,  I'll believe that when Brady and the leagues favorite team misses the Super Bowl for a change.

...I would think his precipitous fall from 13-3 to a probable 11-5 necessitates lighting the funeral pyre.....

2 hours ago, Success said:

The Pats still have a good shot at the Super Bowl for 2 reasons:  a weak AFC, and the acquisition of Gordon (thanks, Cleveland).

But this is the end.  Both the division and conference should be improved next year, and Brady won’t get younger or better.  I will enjoy watching him decline.

how do you dictate that the division AND conference will be better next year?

5 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I don’t know what’s more amazing. That TB12 has been on top of his game for almost the entire century so far, or that the Bills have been down for the same period of time virtually <sigh>.

Agreed.  Those two things are not unconnected, though.

• Like (+1) 1

On November 15, 2018 at 8:05 PM, thebandit27 said:

Denver's defense that year was far different than NE's this year.

• Like (+1) 1

I am skeptical of his decline given a few games from earlier this year.  While I don’t think Miami is as good as their record suggests he did slice them up with ease earlier this year when they were unbeaten.  Plus outdueling KC and winning at Chicago against a good Bears team.

But maybe it’s taken the rigors of a full season for his decline to start showing.  If it is starting I would welcome it.