Mike Tanier - The Decline of Tom Brady, Part XIV: This Time It's Really Happening

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

The Chargers walked into it badly.

They did the very worst thing they could possibly do: let NE run the ball down their throats and give Brady the cheap throws. That's the literal opposite of what every team that beat NE this season did.

7 DBs all game long against a run-first team? Brutal 

The Chargers were  one of the worst prepared teams I have ever seen yesterday. Their game plan was absolutely idiotic. Did they really think that not pressuring Brady would work? And when the game plan was obviously unravelling, Lynn and co made no adjustments. Just some blank stares and mouths agape at the ass whooping they were receiving. It really infuriates me when people gush about Bellichick when all that guy has to do is rely on his opponents like Lynn or Quinn in the SB to just make one moron mistake after another. Then just let the GOAT Brady do the rest. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I don't know why any Bills fan would be rooting for the Pats* other than to wallow in their own self-loathing. That said, I'd like to think that KC will win this game but betting against Bill Belichick and with Andy Reid in a big game is a fool's errand. If the Chiefs win it, it will be because of a herculean effort by Mahomes and despite Reid's best efforts to bumble it away. I'll believe that the Pats* are done when someone drives a stake thru their cold, black hearts.

Same.

I bought in a bit because I fell for the idea that they were like any other team.

I broke my own rule so I did this to myself.

We are never going to get to see the shell of himself Brady. He's just going to be in the super bowl every year and win most of the time until he retires.

22 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The Chargers were  one of the worst prepared teams I have ever seen yesterday. Their game plan was absolutely idiotic. Did they really think that not pressuring Brady would work? And when the game plan was obviously unravelling, Lynn and co made no adjustments. Just some blank stares and mouths agape at the ass whooping they were receiving. It really infuriates me when people gush about Bellichick when all that guy has to do is rely on his opponents like Lynn or Quinn in the SB to just make one moron mistake after another. Then just let the GOAT Brady do the rest. 

That's another part of the problem... 

Nobody is up to it. Lots of teams are not very smart.

Luckily Andy Reid does ok against them but we will see. I think KC will need 35 points at a minimum to have a shot to win.

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Damn, I don't know the meaning of decline. 

When you think about it...despite what everyone calls a down season for him and NE ( me included ).....they were 1 miracle play away vs Miami to be the # 1 seed.....again.....and that game would be in Foxboro this weekend....I guess " decline " is all relative.....

Edited by Iron Maiden

9 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I feel like I'm reading my own thoughts here.

I don’t understand why teams don’t start the game off against the Pats just roughing up Brady as much as possible. If you have to take a few late hits, so be it. If they score on the first drive or two, so be it. But you gotta hit him hard and hit him often. He will quickly show his age, especially in these freezing conditions. 

1 hour ago, dubs said:

I don’t understand why teams don’t start the game off against the Pats just roughing up Brady as much as possible. If you have to take a few late hits, so be it. If they score on the first drive or two, so be it. But you gotta hit him hard and hit him often. He will quickly show his age, especially in these freezing conditions. 

You don't even have to focus that; just don't give him the easy underneath throws.  Make him beat you deep; he's not going to do it. He'll hold the ball for as long as he thinks he can without getting hit, and then he'll turf it.  Did it all day against Detroit and Tennessee (as well as Pittsburgh and Jax to a lesser extent).

Teams like the Chargers are so afraid of getting beat by Tom Brady that they aren't willing to play defense against him.  Note to KC: press man coverage, 8 in the box, blitz like crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Yup its really happening.....groundhog day all over every year 

Brady showed up kinda for the first game that really mattered all season

next week is the second game that really mattered all season

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

You don't even have to focus that; just don't give him the easy underneath throws.  Make him beat you deep; he's not going to do it. He'll hold the ball for as long as he thinks he can without getting hit, and then he'll turf it.  Did it all day against Detroit and Tennessee (as well as Pittsburgh and Jax to a lesser extent).

Teams like the Chargers are so afraid of getting beat by Tom Brady that they aren't willing to play defense against him.  Note to KC: press man coverage, 8 in the box, blitz like crazy.

Easier said than done. I loathe Edelman, but he is essentially uncoverable on the shorter stuff because he has so many option routes that are dictated by the coverage, and Brady knows them all. They are in near-perfect tune. That's one of the reasons Brady is so good. He's also ridiculously accurate on passes to RBs; he always has been. And I strongly suspect that the Chiefs are going to get a hefty dose of Gronk this week. The Pats knew they'd destroy SD, and held his plays in reserve. If Gronk is on, he's basically uncoverable too. I think he's going to go all-out on Sunday because this might be it for him.

Re blitzing, Brady struggled vs TN this year on blitzes, but over the course of his career, he's eaten them alive. And NE is healthy going into this game--which is huge. I'd be very wary of blitzing if I were Reid. 

Brady has struggled against teams with good man coverage - Denver comes to mind - but KC's secondary is garbage. 

Edited by dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Down year is relative compared to himself.

He still ended up with 65 comp %

29 tds and 11int.

He can still operate an offense at an efficient clip.

I'm always reminded of an early episode of Boston Legal when discussing 2018 Brady:

---------------------------

Denny Crane: I’m still a good lawyer.

Paul Lewiston: Yes. You are. You remember Muhammad Ali’s last fight? We had ringside seats. He lost so pathetically to Larry Holmes. We were so crushed. The tragedy that night, Denny, wasn’t that he couldn’t still box. He could. The tragedy was that he still thought he was Ali. You’re a good lawyer, my friend. You’re just not Denny Crane.

The reality that many fans still don't see is this: It's not that Brady can't still play QB.  He can. He's a good QB; he's just not Tom Brady anymore.

And if you force him to beat you by loading up against the run and denying him the easy, underneath stuff, he can't beat you by himself anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm always reminded of an early episode of Boston Legal when discussing 2018 Brady:

Paul Lewiston: Yes. You are. You remember Muhammad Ali’s last fight? We had ringside seats. He lost so pathetically to Larry Holmes. We were so crushed. The tragedy that night, Denny, wasn’t that he couldn’t still box. He could. The tragedy was that he still thought he was Ali. You’re a good lawyer, my friend. You’re just not Denny Crane.

The reality that many fans still don't see is this: It's not that Brady can't still play QB.  He can. He's a good QB; he's just not Tom Brady anymore.

And if you force him to beat you by loading up against the run and denying him the easy, underneath stuff, he can't beat you by himself anymore.

So much of Brady's weaker performances this year derived from injury issues. When the team is healthy, he looks great. He annihilated a not-bad Jets D in the final game, and flat-out vivisected SD, which is a good team.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Easier said than done. I loathe Edelman, but he is essentially uncoverable on the shorter stuff because he has so many option routes that are dictated by the coverage, and Brady knows them all. They are in near-perfect tune. That's one of the reasons Brady is so good. He's also ridiculously accurate on passes to RBs; he always has been. And I strongly suspect that the Chiefs are going to get a hefty dose of Gronk this week. The Pats knew they'd destroy SD, and held his plays in reserve. If Gronk is on, he's basically uncoverable too. I think he's going to go all-out on Sunday because this might be it for him.

He's a good short-area route runner, but I think that the short-area stuff to Edelman and White isn't sustainable against press-man for a whole game provided that your offense is scoring points the way the Chiefs can score.

You may be right, however, that they have plays in the tank.  I'd be a lot more worried about Gronk if I didn't feel that KC's pass rush could keep NE in max protect fairly reliably.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

He's a good short-area route runner, but I think that the short-area stuff to Edelman and White isn't sustainable against press-man for a whole game provided that your offense is scoring points the way the Chiefs can score.

You may be right, however, that they have plays in the tank.  I'd be a lot more worried about Gronk if I didn't feel that KC's pass rush could keep NE in max protect fairly reliably.

As I say above, the KC secondary is total trash. The one thing they can do is get to the QB really well with their edge guys, but that was the Chargers' forte too. 

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'd also add that NE went into the NFL history vaults in order to innovate--they drafted a RB in the first round and featured more heavy sets than any team I can remember (save for perhaps a gimmicky team like the Ravens). They identified a weakness stemming from NFL trends in defense (prioritizing pass rushers, coverage LBs, and DBs) and took advantage of teams all season.They were third in rushing attempts league-wide this season, 4th in rushing TDs, and 5th in rushing yards.   And none of that yardage came from QB runs - it was all by the backs and players like Patterson.

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Just checked out the forecast: the high now is forecasted to be 13 and the low 5 on Sunday. 

I have already accepted that the Patriots will win the super bowl and you should too...

Andy Reid has a long history of coming up short when it matters most while Brady and Belichick have a long history of doing exactly the opposite.

The Saints have a good defense and a team that will excel in the dome but they are always good for a stinker at the most random times.

The Rams have a bunch of head cases and struggled greatly down the stretch.  

Whichever NFC team they face (yes KC is a formality) BB will have 2 weeks to dissect film on.  I actually think talent wise the Patriots are the 4th best team.  However they find ways to win and I won't bet against them.  They even get some motivation by being an under dog for the first time in 69 games.  Extra fuel for the fire.  

Brady is the best ever.  There I said it... can the pain and suffering end now please?