Mike Tanier - The Decline of Tom Brady, Part XIV: This Time It's Really Happening

26CornerBlitz

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I thought it was put pressure on him

Oh wait, now stop the run

how about the Pats come out and jab the first two series and see what will work and then adjust on the spot to exploit it?

Well, up until about 13 months ago, it was "put pressure on him".

When they made their entire offseason focus the run game, things changed. NE is, and has been all season, a run-first team.

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, up until about 13 months ago, it was "put pressure on him".

When they made their entire offseason focus the run game, things changed. NE is, and has been all season, a run-first team.

And again.... they ran the ball 30 straight times in a playoff game a few years ago

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

And again.... they ran the ball 30 straight times in a playoff game a few years ago

You're conflating willingness to run the ball with dependency on the run.

They've always been willing; now they have no choice. If they can't run the ball, they're dead.

They'd have scored zero points yesterday had Buffalo been able to stack up the run.

Breaking Down 2018 version of Brady & the Patriots

By ANDY BENOITDecember 26, 2018

It’s easy to forget now, but for the first third of his career, Tom Brady was viewed by many as a game manager. Remember the “Brady versus Peyton Manning” debates? Brady had the rings, Manning had the stats. To be anti-Brady back then was not to be jealous of his unmatched success, dashing looks and supermodel wife (Giselle had not yet entered his world). You were merely unmoved by his mediocre fantasy numbers. Manning, privately, was known to bristle at his comparisons to Brady. (“Peyton absolutely hates it,” a coach of Manning’s once told me.) Inside the NFL, Manning was overwhelmingly viewed as the better quarterback.

Then 2007 happened. The Patriots added Randy Moss and Wes Welker, and Brady became the first player to throw 50 touchdowns in a season. (His record was later topped by Manning’s 55 for the Broncos in 2013.) Brady would remain nearly this prolific in succeeding years, but strangely, he stopped winning titles. The Patriots had a nine-year ringless stretch even though their quarterback—let’s call him Brady 2.0—was so clearly better than the Brady 1.0 that won three rings.

The question this year, as the Patriots gear up for another run, likely as the AFC’s No. 2 seed, is: Which Brady are they playing with? Besides a few isolated crossfield throws petering out ever so slightly, Brady, 41, has still shown little sign of physical decline. And yet, New England’s recent approach suggests we’re looking at Brady 1.0 again.

Since their Week 11 bye, the Patriots have run the ball on 50% of their snaps (exactly 171 runs and 171 passes). Brady is averaging just under 22 completions on just over 33 pass attempts per game. In those contests, the Patriots are 3-2, averaging 216 rushing yards in wins and just 86.5 rushing yards in losses—while two-possession leads led to run-heavy second halves in those three wins, they also ran it 30 times (for just 77 yards) in the back-and-forth loss at Miami. By most appearances, the greatest quarterback of all-time and reigning league MVP is orchestrating a ball-control offense.

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

No surprise there. Same pride that made him the GOAT will prevent him from bowing out gracefully. It's going to get ugly for Brady.

He's still pretty good, but no longer has the ability to elevate mediocre talent that surrounds him.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's still pretty good, but no longer has the ability to elevate mediocre talent that surrounds him.

Agreed but with every snap, every hit, every ding, every throw, it's only going to get worse. I'm a Michigan fan and not nearly as anti Brady as fellow Bills fans, but I feel strongly that he's very close to the finish line. I think we see a STEEP decline if he comes back in 2019.

He's the best quarterback I've ever seen, but his time has come IMO.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Agreed but with every snap, every hit, every ding, every throw, it's only going to get worse. I'm a Michigan fan and not nearly as anti Brady as fellow Bills fans, but I feel strongly that he's very close to the finish line. I think we see a STEEP decline if he comes back in 2019.

He's the best quarterback I've ever seen, but his time has come IMO.

There's no doubt he's in decline just from watching him make throws and he's a lot less calm in the pocket than in previous seasons. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There's no doubt he's in decline just from watching him make throws and he's a lot less calm in the pocket than in previous seasons. 

Yeah. I'm aware that my opinion is pretty much universally accepted. He's 41 years old and clearly playing his worst ball. Where I differ slightly is that I think the decline could happen rapidly and that he could be a disaster in 2019. We shall see. If BB wins the SB this season, you may as well just close down the "best HC of all time" conversation for the next 50 years.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. I'm aware that my opinion is pretty much universally accepted. He's 41 years old and clearly playing his worst ball. Where I differ slightly is that I think the decline could happen rapidly and that he could be a disaster in 2019. We shall see. If BB wins the SB this season, you may as well just close down the "best HC of all time" conversation for the next 50 years.

He was asked about a knee injury on Monday, but refused, in typical Patriot fashion, to offer any specifics.  We'll eventually find out more about this once their season is over. 

Just now, row_33 said:

How they doing in the standings?

Pretty well thanks to their weak AFC East division competition that they have relied upon and feasted on over the years.  Look at their points differential outside of the AFC East Mr. Patriots Apologist. 

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

No surprise there. Same pride that made him the GOAT will prevent him from bowing out gracefully. It's going to get ugly for Brady.

Happens across different sports to many of the great ones. You call it pride, I'd call it drive, but either way I agree it's a big part of what made them great ones. I have no issue with players holding on for as long as possible, to me it's up to management to make the hard decisions. 

That aside, I hope you're right that Brady's decline is steep and swift.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Pretty well thanks to their weak AFC East division competition that they have relied upon and feasted on over the years.  Look at their points differential outside of the AFC East Mr. Patriots Apologist. 

Points differential, I guess that counts for a lot in standings and win-loss pct and Super Bowl wins and losses.

no, it doesn’t mean the square root of sweet f*** all.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

Points differential, I guess that counts for a lot in standings and win-loss pct and Super Bowl wins and losses.

no, it doesn’t mean the square root of sweet f*** all.

You should be on the Patriots fan board and maybe those for the Seahawks/Falcons too to share your glowing love of all things Belichick and Brady including their Lombardi's that were gifted to them.  At any rate their days of glory are winding down, but you'll always have the idea of misty eyed nostalgia.