Mike Tanier - The Decline of Tom Brady, Part XIV: This Time It's Really Happening

26CornerBlitz

Not sure if this article has been linked to yet or not, but I thought this was an interesting "contra" take out of Boston, even though I don't agree with it, seeking to place blame on the play calling and TB12's aversion to taking any hits in the pocket, not a deterioration of any of his physical skills:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/12/17/decline-of-tom-brady-patriots-film-breakdown/

It wouldn't be a dagger in the heart, but Allen going into Gillette and leading the Bill's to victory could be a foreshadowing of what's ahead.  A Derek Anderson led Bill's had the ball in the red zone in a 1 possession game in the 4th quarter vs NE earlier this year.  Buffalo will give NE all it can handle.  Does NE have the athletic ability at LB to contain Allen on the ground? Maybe I'm wrong and Allen throws a bunch of picks, Brady has his best game of the year and the beat goes on.   

23 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not sure if this article has been linked to yet or not, but I thought this was an interesting "contra" take out of Boston, even though I don't agree with it, seeking to place blame on the play calling and TB12's aversion to taking any hits in the pocket, not a deterioration of any of his physical skills:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/12/17/decline-of-tom-brady-patriots-film-breakdown/

Interesting take...

To me, when someone says "deterioration of physical skills" it means the ability to perform at previous levels on a consistent basis.

For example, Michael Jordan scored 43 points as a 40 year old NBA player in a game. He also scored 40+ points 2 other times that same season. However, 40 year old Jordan was nowhere near 30 year old Jordan in terms of the ability to do that night after night. He could still have some huge games, but over the long haul his points per game average dropped from the low 30's to low 20's.

That's where Brady is now IMO. He could have a game where he throws for 400 yards and 4-5 TDs. Then he could follow that up with a 220 yard game with 1 TD and 1 INT.

That's the difference between now and previous seasons, IMO. In previous years he would be #1 or #2 in TD passes and would torch teams every week. Now, he is just another good NFL QB. Still dangerous, still capable of hurting you, but sports are a young man's game in the end.

His preparation, knowledge, and competitive fire keep him able to be a top 5-10 QB this year. But he's not top 5 this season in terms of play, and this only goes one way. He isn't going to be better at age 42 than age 41.

One thing Brady has shown is that it truly is impossible to beat Father Time. If he can't do it with his witch doctors and potions and yoga, along with his desire to stick a dagger into the heart of non-Patriot fans, then nobody ever will.

Another thing Brady has going for him is that eh was never all that athletic. It's counter-intuitive, but the super athletic QBs will never be around at age 41-42, because even though they have a much higher ceiling in terms of physical tools, they also rely on them more and play a different type of game. Once those tools are gone, can they become statues that cannot move but can still play? I doubt it.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Interesting take...

To me, when someone says "deterioration of physical skills" it means the ability to perform at previous levels on a consistent basis.

For example, Michael Jordan scored 43 points as a 40 year old NBA player in a game. He also scored 40+ points 2 other times that same season. However, 40 year old Jordan was nowhere near 30 year old Jordan in terms of the ability to do that night after night. He could still have some huge games, but over the long haul his points per game average dropped from the low 30's to low 20's.

That's where Brady is now IMO. He could have a game where he throws for 400 yards and 4-5 TDs. Then he could follow that up with a 220 yard game with 1 TD and 1 INT.

That's the difference between now and previous seasons, IMO. In previous years he would be #1 or #2 in TD passes and would torch teams every week. Now, he is just another good NFL QB. Still dangerous, still capable of hurting you, but sports are a young man's game in the end.

His preparation, knowledge, and competitive fire keep him able to be a top 5-10 QB this year. But he's not top 5 this season in terms of play, and this only goes one way. He isn't going to be better at age 42 than age 41.

^^^^^^^This. 

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

It wouldn't be a dagger in the heart, but Allen going into Gillette and leading the Bill's to victory could be a foreshadowing of what's ahead.  A Derek Anderson led Bill's had the ball in the red zone in a 1 possession game in the 4th quarter vs NE earlier this year.  Buffalo will give NE all it can handle.  Does NE have the athletic ability at LB to contain Allen on the ground? Maybe I'm wrong and Allen throws a bunch of picks, Brady has his best game of the year and the beat goes on.   

That's why this week will be appointment viewing! 

19 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Updating this:

NE is 7-0 when they rush for over 100 yards

NE is 2-5 when they rush for less than 100 yards.  The two losses? The game where they rushed for 97 yards against the Colts, and the game in which they got to face Derek Anderson--a game that would've been lost to any team with a competent QB.

Stop the run, and you stop NE.

Good call! I've noticed this as well.

As crazy as it sounds, force NE to throw the ball and you can beat them. When has that been said lately?!

That's why a team like SD or even Baltimore can really hurt them I think. The recipe is to run the ball against their terrible run defense, not turn it over, then score 7's and not 3's in the Red Zone. If you put pressure on them score-wise, then shut down the run, you get this year's Titans game where a team like Tennessee completely dominated them from start to finish.

Some keep pointing out that “we say this every year,” but he’s clearly declining now.  Still one of the best in the league, but he’s no longer the terminator. 

His last 4 passes the other day, with the game on the line, were a revelation.

Just now, Success said:

Some keep pointing out that “we say this every year,” but he’s clearly declining now.  Still one of the best in the league, but he’s no longer the terminator. 

His last 4 passes the other day, with the game on the line, were a revelation.

Yes and yes.   And he still has the best HC so yes they are still as much of a threat in the playoffs as anyone.

This is predicated by the loss of an athletic Gronkowski & a gimpy Edelman coming back from an ACL coupled with the loss of Amendola. All the easy passes are locked down. Simply watch how former Belichick assistant coaches played him (Detroit, Tennessee). Don’t buy the fakes, play press man and watch out for trickery plays & get 4 man pressure. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Success said:

No doubt.  I still expect to see them in the SB.  

beating Colts/Ravens/Titans at home, then the Texans on the road is a real possibility, if not probability.  Then, if the Chiefs (who havent looked stellar lately) get upset, New England magically hosts another AFC Championship game

If the Patriots lose one and the Steelers can pass them, their road gets a bit tougher as they would have to play the Chargers (probably) in round 1, and then have to travel to KC.... and their chances of hosting the AFCC would rely on Colts/Ravens/Titans winning through.

Edited by May Day 10

On 11/14/2018 at 4:23 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Probably, Beilchek can be a mean egomaniac, the not telling ahead of time and starting Butler in the Super Bowl, class move,

When you dont show up for game preperation and youre in the hospital, along with terrible play most of last year expecially in the playoffs your probably gonna lose your job.

Dude was benched in week 2 last year. Rowe got hurt in that game and he was put back on the field

13 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Incorrect, what happened in buffalo holds no bearing on the game at gillette pats win and cover