Mike Tanier - The Decline of Tom Brady, Part XIV: This Time It's Really Happening

26CornerBlitz

But we kick off with the NFL's biggest story: Tom Brady's arm is toast, and that could mean real trouble for the Patriots. 

Stop snickering. It's really true this time!

Tom Brady's arm looks like overcooked fettuccine right now.

There, we stated the obvious, and no fiery hail rained down upon us. So it's OK to say it out loud. Brady looked like a knuckleball pitcher in the Patriots' stunning 34-10 upset loss to the Titans, and he didn't have much of a fastball against the Packers or Bills in his last two games.

Long Brady passes now flutter out of bounds or bounce before they reach receivers. Short ones take too long to reach their targets, allowing defenders to swat them away. Passes toward the sideline arrive low and outside.

The Patriots offense has become a succession of touch passes over the middle, intricate screens and increasingly desperate trick plays. The Titans caught on, and other opponents are about to figure it out as well.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

He's right, and Belichick saw it coming.

Their entire offseason, draft, and in-season game plan was/is predicated upon transitioning to a run-based offense.  If they can't run the ball, they're in real trouble.

They've scored 27 or more points 5 times this year, and those outputs came in their 5 best rushing efforts.

Stop the run, and you stop NE.  We saw it vs. Buf on MNF--a team with a half-competent offense would've won that game.

• Like (+1) 19
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I won’t say it’s true, but I saw him throw a pass last week that would have made Mr Peterman feel shame. It was to his left, off target and VERY weak. (Now he’ll probably throw for another 4,000 over the remainder of the season.)

• Haha (+1) 3

It's got to happen sooner or later. The best thing for the Pats is Tawmy walks away at the end of this year, or before his skills really go, whenever that is. The best thing for us is if he hangs on, steadily getting worse and worse until it turns into a lost season or two, a complete soap opera and finally a tear filled retirement press conference. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ocemur said:

It's got to happen sooner or later. The best thing for the Pats is Tawmy walks away at the end of this year, or before his skills really go, whenever that is. The best thing for us is if he hangs on, steadily getting worse and worse until it turns into a lost season or two, a complete soap opera and finally a tear filled retirement press conference. 

Yeah, we should hope he really does play until he’s 45, but looks like Kelly did at the end the whole time! When that arm went, I remember wishing Kelly would just sit down. Maybe he didn’t eat as much avocado ice cream as Brady, but it won’t last forever. 

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think it is true, you saw it last year, look at his feeble attempt to thrown the ball at at then of the Super Bowl, couldn't get it to the end zone.  Pats made their mistake with all that  BS turmoil over Garrappalo, they had a reasonable Brady replacement, now they have Bran Hoyer.

Was that Belichick sticking it to Kraft when they traded Jimmy, and for so little? 

Just now, Augie said:

Yeah, we should hope he really does play until he’s 45, but looks like Kelly did at the end the whole time! When that arm went, I remember wishing Kelly would just sit down. Maybe he didn’t eat as much avocado ice cream as Brady, but it won’t last forever. 

That's exactly what I see too, right down to the design of the offense.

In Kelly's final 2 years, that offense was in real trouble when they couldn't run.

I don't think Brady wants to play past when he can be Brady, so it wouldn't shock me if he retired as soon as the end of this season if he felt that were the case.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Was that Belichick sticking it to Kraft when they traded Jimmy, and for so little? 

Probably, Beilchek can be a mean egomaniac, the not telling ahead of time and starting Butler in the Super Bowl, class move,

Bert Breer was on the radio today and made an interesting comment. He was talking about how he covered Farve during his final season. He went on to talk about how during that time he could tell Favre’s internal clock was messed up and he said he saw that from Brady on Sunday. 

Not holding the ball when he should, not moving as well, going into the fetal position to try and brace for hits. He went into pretty good detail and that’s something that is often overlooked. Everyone waits for their arm to go but pocket awareness is just as important. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Bert Breer was on the radio today and made an interesting comment. He was talking about how he covered Farve during his final season. He went on to talk about how during that time he could tell Favre’s internal clock was messed up and he said he saw that from Brady on Sunday. 

Not holding the ball when he should, not moving as well, going into the fetal position to try and brace for hits. He went into pretty good detail and that’s something that is often overlooked. Everyone waits for their arm to go but pocket awareness is just as important. 

Brady been going into the fetal position when about to be hit for the past 15 years...….

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Mahomes is winning the next 5 in a row! :lol:

That be awesome. But it be more salt in a wound for Bills fans than Brady ever rubbed in.

The thought of Sean McDermott, "The Bills coach who passed on Mahomes" will sting near as much as "wide right' should Mahomes win a SB.

Especially if McDermott is still clapping away on the Bills sideline as Mahomes wins it all.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Azucho98 said:

Brady been going into the fetal position when about to be hit for the past 15 years...….

Right, his point was it now looks worse because he is doing it even when guys are open. He was speculating that Brady and his camp are so determined to keep him healthy that he is thinking more about his own health than making plays. 

• Like (+1) 3