Bills Sign WR Deonte Thompson to a 1-Year Deal

26CornerBlitz

35 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Its not rocket science. We started a qb with like 5 minutes of practice time.

I believe it means they realize they’ve messed up the position and have come around to the “let’s at least throw things against the wall til SOMETHING sticks” approach 

A 2-7 slice of humble pie tends to ground a HC/GM.

We've been talking about the McD fascination with Peterman but the only real difference between that and Marrone's fascination with Tuel was that the awful QB play cost Marrone a playoff appearance in year one.

McD made the playoffs so he still felt justified for even dumb things like Peterman and the dissection of the WR corps.   Hopefully 2-7 was the sign from God that he needed.   There seems to be more earthly reason in recent moves.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A 2-7 slice of humble pie tends to ground a HC/GM.

We've been talking about the McD fascination with Peterman but the only real difference between that and Marrone's fascination with Tuel was that the awful QB play cost Marrone a playoff appearance in year one.

McD made the playoffs so he still felt justified for even dumb things like Peterman and the dissection of the WR corps.   Hopefully 2-7 was the sign from God that he needed.   There seems to be more earthly reason in recent moves.

Im not even a huge Thompson fan but at least there’s some sense of awareness shining through.

Comparatively, 9 weeks ago we cut a vet starting WR the day after guaranteeing his salary to sign a DT that wouldn’t play. Sooooooo seems there’s a chance that a light came on and maybe we actually get a somewhat reasonable strategy from here. It was worrisome for awhile there.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Kelvin Benjamin on the inactive list in week 12. 

In the four games before the Jets game (Bears, Pats, Colts, Texans) Kelvin Benjamin was on the field for 75% of the offensive plays 

In the Jets game, Benjamin played just 51% of the offensive snaps

I expect that number to keep dropping after the break, with being inactive a definite possibility down the road. Such a disappointment!

Welcome back Deonte! Apparently you always have a home in either Buff, Baltimore, or Chicago.

[two stints with BAL (3 yrs total), two stints with CHI (3 yrs total), 3rd stint with Bills (2 yrs total)---8 games with DAL]

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, folz said:

In the four games before the Jets game (Bears, Pats, Colts, Texans) Kelvin Benjamin was on the field for 75% of the offensive plays 

I expect that number to keep dropping after the break, with being inactive a definite possibility down the road. Such a disappointment!

Welcome back Deonte! Apparently you always have a home in either Buff, Baltimore, or Chicago.

[two stints with BAL (3 yrs total), two stints with CHI (3 yrs total), 3rd stint with Bills (2 yrs total)---8 games with DAL]

Good I hope it does drop. He's a complete malcontent who's committed free agent suicide.

I would rather give a young hungry wide receiver an oppertunity, then waste targets on number 13.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's what I love about this move. With Foster on the field, a team is going to shift some coverage expecting it's a deep ball or decoy for a run. Add Thompson and/or McKenzie suddenly it creates mismatches as teams try to cover 2-3 speedsters. Zay gets open looks and room in the middle of the field and Shady or Murphy have the flats as a dump off. Add Croom as the catch radius guy in the middle taking KB's spot and suddenly the defenses have to respect the pass. With Pryor on the field these mismatches weren't as strong and there were not multiple options to go deep.  

As we saw last week, this really opened up the run for Shady and Murphy. Throw Ivory back in the mix and competent QB play completely turns this offense around. We saw that Daboll schemed well once he had mismatches to exploit and a QB to make the throws. If Allen can step up or Barkley can keep it up, this offense could be a lot more entertaining the next six games. We have the extra week to rev this up and make it work.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good I hope it does drop. He's a complete malcontent who's committed free agent suicide.

I would rather give a young hungry wide receiver an oppertunity, then waste targets on number 13.

I know it's a ways away, but I am interested to see how his free agency pans out. Curious to see who the next sucker is. 

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The correlation between rabbit chasers and the NFL receivers/rb’s is real! 

6 hours ago, folz said:

I see 25 percent of plays- bye bye after the season- such a lazy man.

14 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Third time is a charm. He and O'leary were some of my favorite grit players on last year's squad. The offense has been lacking that outside of Ivory and Allen.

When you see KB's effort, then see Nick or DT ball out to their best every play, it's not hard to understand why some people like guys like Nick and DT.

PS some speed outside like Thompson and Foster may help Josh Allen. Replaceable, yes, but an incremental improvement that plays to your QB strengths

16 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Third time is a charm. He and O'leary were some of my favorite grit players on last year's squad. The offense has been lacking that outside of Ivory and Allen.

When you see KB's effort, then see Nick or DT ball out to their best every play, it's not hard to understand why some people like guys like Nick and DT.

PS some speed outside like Thompson and Foster may help Josh Allen. Replaceable, yes, but an incremental improvement that plays to your QB strengths, yes.

I dont remember the game or details but there was a 3rd and like 25, he made a great play to get the first down last year.  Great pick up

17 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Foster must just be a slow learner or something, because he clearly learned nothing at Alabama for four years either. But he's an explosive athlete and I feel like he will get there. I'd love to bring in Stevie Johnson to be his personal coach and show him how develop some of that route running swagger. Honestly, I didn't realize he was 6-2. I'm excited to watch him develop, hopefully he does. 

This might be my favorite post on TBD ever

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I dont remember the game or details but there was a 3rd and like 25, he made a great play to get the first down last year.  Great pick up

I made a post before the season regarding the WRs on this team so inflammatory on TSW it was removed and I was given a warning.

In short I called our ageing WR corps bums and called for a youth movement.

After 10 games the FO seems to be moving in that direction, except KB.

It is good to see.

I anticipate a major youth movement in the off season on offense through the draft, and a LB, OL add in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I made a post before the season regarding the WRs on this team so inflammatory on TSW it was removed and I was given a warning.

In short I called our ageing WR corps bums and called for a youth movement.

After 10 games the FO seems to be moving in that direction, except KB.

It is good to see.

I anticipate a major youth movement in the off season on offense through the draft, and a LB, OL add in FA.

KB seems like a pride move by Mcderms now but hes getting exposed early and often. I wonder if he still has a clapfest even when KB falls asleep standing at the line.

Rather sign a FA WR but I think we could sign all of them and still suck, but hey you called it. All I care about is developing Allen

Edited by BillsMafia13

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He did some other stuff in the game from the line of scrimmage also didnt he?

Foster's yards came on "chunk" plays

McKenzie looked adept with the fly sweep. Tiny sample size, but Daboll seems to like them and he's the one guy on the roster with the skill set to make it work.

I expect to see more of that going forward.

50 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Think it was actually Tate vs the Raiders.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/reaction-tate-play-shows-character-bills-team

Just now, BillsMafia13 said:

You right you right, I thought there was another great hustle play by DT besides the Indy game but ill never get it. Feel free to drop some knowledge on me

DT was last Bill with 100 yd game as WR.  So here is a huge play late in TB win that might be the play you are thinking about.  44 yds plus 15 on personal foul

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know it's a ways away, but I am interested to see how his free agency pans out. Curious to see who the next sucker is. 

I see them carefully selecting OL in FA.  I think Dawkins & Teller are locks. They'll be evaluating the right side. There really aren't any amazing value wrs in FA next year so hopefully we take a look at Brown or Lamb from Oklahoma? Picking up Deonte was a smart move.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Signed McKenzie, released and brought Foster back up, cut Pryor, brought back DT (yay!)...pattern?

Opinionated speculation: so is it safe to say our coaching staff thinks the issue with the corps was lack of speed? Certainly makes sense in terms of getting separation - but is this the [best] approach to helping Allen develop? I know a few points were made, and I've agreed with, that we should be getting receivers with large catch radii (a KB who can complete a catch, N'Keal Harry, etc.) to help with Allen's inaccuracy issues. No reason we can't have both, but seems like the priority here is being given to speed over physical receivers with high completion probability in a contested catch.

I think they are looking at as if Allen can just launch it and put some air under it a fast receiver can get under it

13 hours ago, folz said:

I agree. I would have sat him already. He is playing with no passion no effort. Sit his ass and show him that if he doesn’t want to try we don’t want or need him. Help him put things into perceptive and get his ***** together. I am honestly surprised McDermott has allowed him to play while blatantly giving a poor effort each week.