Josh Allen starts week 12 but shows no growth....

Rebel101

4 minutes ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

On WGR, Greg Cosell says absolutely you start Allen - he had Barkley as a 4th rounder when he came out - not enough arm strength to be an NFL starter.

He's right. You use every available game snap with Allen as the QB because he needs the experience.  We already know what Barkley is and is not as a decent fill in guy.

10 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Not to mention Foster.  That was a huge game for him.  Hope he builds on that.  For an undrafted rookie that was a hell of a performance.

Foster too. Glad to see him return with confidence and better hands. This team is quietly building a nice young nucleus. 

Absolutely not!!!

One friggin game and you do something stupid like bench him?

No, once Allen is inserted, he will be allowed the rest of the season to play and won't be benched for any reason other than injury.

However, I'm still not sure Allen even plays week 12 against the Jags.  McDermott said Allen will start against Jacksonvill "if healthy."  That "if healthy" part is key.

Barkley could very well still start in a week and a half.  And if he plays the way he did the last game, I could see Allen's injury and health continually being cited as the reason Barkley continues to start.

But no, once Allen plays, he's the starter.

I love that many of the same people who screamed that Peterman (of whom I have never been a fan) had his opportunities and clearly showed he was not a starting NFL QB, now want to give Matt Barkley a chance to see what he can do, based on one game - while ignoring his previous 6 NFL starts (1-6) and 7 total games played (1-7) where he threw at least 2 interceptions in 5 of those 7 games (and 5 interceptions in one game). He played a good game last week; however, it was an aberration based on his history and even in that game he had at least two passes that clearly should have been intercepted. I think Barkley is head and shoulders above Peterman and is a good backup. However, the remainder of this season is about seeing if Allen can show real development and give some indication that he can be a long term solution at QB.

2 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

I believe you go with the hot hand and start Barkley. I think he earned himself one more start. I understand Allen is the future but they originally wanted him to sit anyway. But what if he does start and looks the same or worse then he did before injury? He was making some better throws in the Texans game. He didn’t play great but he looked alittle better so what if after sitting and learning from Anderson and all that he doesn’t look any different then what he did before the injury? Do we start to worry? I mean the main reason Josh Allen was even considered such a high pick was because of Carson Wentz and their numbers are no where near the same

Why would anyone care about whether or not Barkley may or may not give us a slightly better win chance?  All we are doing is slowing Allen’s growth, and even if Barkley won a game or two more, we would also be hurting our draft slot and ability to get more help for Josh next year too.

Personally, I believe Josh should be the starter anyway being he has more talent and upside, but even more so because we need to get him as much experience as possible going into next year.  I don’t care if he makes mistakes, this is the year to make them so he can eventually learn and grow from them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Maybe we should work on finding a starter first ?

Who said or intimated we aren't, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

If and this is a big if the Bills really want to win this year then maybe Barkely should be our starter, Allen has looked awfully shaky his last three games.

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

how does he show no growth?   Are we talking a 3 point 150 total yard performance by the offense where he doesn't throw for 100yds?    I'll be surprised if that happens.  

If it does, I think I still go with Allen.  He's not going to develop on the bench.  

The Jags have the best pass D Allen will face all year. 

2 hours ago, teef said:

Why do people assume that Allen will coming in after being hurt and set the world on fire?  He’s probably going to be pretty similar to who he was until he gets some snaps under his belt. I also don’t get why Barkley has earned anything. He played a solid game. He’s lucky to be here. That’s it. 

This is where my confusion is, too.  Since when do backup QBs earn starting jobs after playing one game in place of the injured starting QB?  More importantly, that game was against an opponent that didn't even try to compete.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

This is where my confusion is, too.  Since when do backup QBs earn starting jobs after playing one game in place of the injured starting QB?  More importantly, that game was against an opponent that didn't even try to compete.

When the injured starting QB is the worst starting QB in the NFL. 

Edited by jrober38

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Which will be good for him if he plays. Big Boys don't get to be Big Boys if they're constantly coddled. It may be ugly and rough, but he needs to see what a really good Defense looks like, how fast they are, how they anticipate, how they are relentless and how they scheme. These are only things he can learn by doing. So IMHO, the better the Defenses look, the more he should be ready to elevate his game which only advances his development. 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is statistically, logically and realistically untrue.

Name a worse starting QB this year. 

Allen is 32nd in QB Rating, 32nd in Total QBR, 32nd in pass yards per game and the Bills have the worst scoring offense in the league. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PittsforDave said:

I like McDumbass, he has some issues, but with talent, could be an ok head coach. 

McClappy definitely has some improving to do on the offensive side of the ball. 

His decision making skills are questionable. His in game management is questionable. His evaluation of talent is irresponsible. 

He has a lot to improve. 

He needs to win. 

Only around for a couple weeks and already you have an impressive array of stupid nicknames for the head coach. Bravo. Did you think of them yourself or did you brainstorm them with your fellow geniuses?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Then it will be a good experience for him

That depends on how it goes.  He's had plenty of "learning experiences" already.  If he stinks it up he really might need to ride the pine for a little while.  It would be nice to see him have a game where he flashes a lot of consistent good play, because those have been few and far between.  Now that another QB has come in to show that it is possible, I think it mounts some extra pressure on the rookie to perform - which I'm all for because that the more important "learning experience" than facing a good D.  Responding to pressure is what makes you great or wilt. 

On the other hand, how much patience is the rest of the team going to have with Allen if they have a QB on the bench that got the Offense going, and the Offense is going nowhere under Allen?  It's a tricky dynamic for a head coach, who certainly is trying to win as many games as possible and have the team playing its best at all times.  No good coach wants his team to go lay eggs for draft position.  They want these guys to get better every game, and if you are going to stifle everyone else at the expense of the QB that may backfire in the locker room.  Sure you've got to know what you have at QB, it's the most important position, but if you aren't getting good QB play, its not going to be easy to assess the rest of your offense and what needs to improve.  Maybe the OL isn't that bad, maybe it is - maybe the receivers are bad, maybe they aren't (outside of KB - who is playing himself into a vet minimum contract this offseason). 

I think its a hard spot to put the rookie in, but a necessary one.  The best thing he can do is come out and have his best game.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Name a worse starting QB this year. 

Allen is 32nd in QB Rating, 32nd in Total QBR, 32nd in pass yards per game and the Bills have the worst scoring offense in the league. 

He hasn't played for 50% of the season.  Keep cherry picking stats to fit your narrative.  And if you think Josh Allen is the sole - even the primary - reason that the Bills offense is so anemic, then you've not been watching the games.

47 minutes ago, Gugny said:

i have no idea.  i just don't like the idea of barkley starting because he has, "earned it".   it's nice to have him here, but that's it.  allen may be the future, so we need to figure that ***** out.

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is statistically, logically and realistically untrue.

i do appreciate jrober, but he has the amazing ability to make every thread at least 15% more depressing.  it's kind of this thing.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1